Author Topic: eBay asking users to change passwords  (Read 3145 times)

ken65

Re: eBay asking users to change passwords
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2014, 05:24:15 am »
nice fridge dave, my last job was at a micro brewery, everyday i had to empty out kegs of beer, nothing wrong with it at all , just needed the kegs empty, used to get a free keg every 100 hours aswell , anyway after awhile i couldn't stand to waste all that nectar of the nitwits so i started carrying old 1.25l plastic coke bottles in the boot of my car and used  to take home all the beer i could carry, in the end it nearly killed me, i had more beer than i could ever give away which was  much better than the commercial beer i drink now.    glad i don't work there anymore, my organs would have given up the ghost ages ago,   ken

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2014, 09:51:09 am »
I've had the same EBAY password for over 15 years. And NOW I have to change it?
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2014, 10:15:59 am »

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2014, 06:35:57 pm »
I got the email today.   I think I'll use  FukYou2Scammer as my new password.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

AJK

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2014, 05:50:27 am »
I used "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"with mixed upper/lower case,now even I cant log in!

Dave, i just tried that password on your account and it let me in, but don't worry, i didn't buy anything. I think you forgot to put some numbers in that password because its a bit easy to crack...

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2014, 05:54:36 am »
I used "supercalifragilisticexpialidocious"with mixed upper/lower case,now even I cant log in!

Dave, i just tried that password on your account and it let me in, but don't worry, i didn't buy anything. I think you forgot to put some numbers in that password because its a bit easy to crack...

Do it again and buy him a CB750, I think he is ready
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

AJK

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2014, 05:58:43 am »

Do it again and buy him a CB750, I think he is ready
Damnit, he just changed the password on me!

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2014, 12:48:53 pm »
I used the complete works of shakespere this time,boy that took some copy/paste effort!

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2014, 01:58:00 pm »
yes changed mine , now all ive got to do is remember it .

the stollen passwords were all encrypted anyway so should be ok . its all the other stuff like email , date of birth location etc that wasn't .

Since they have everyone's email address, if anyone receives an email from "eBay" asking to update your password, don't use the link in the email - it might be a link to a dodgy copy-cat site. Enter the ebay website into your location bar yourself to avoid this.

Also, re the encryption, no one knows how strong it is as they are using a "proprietary" algorithm to hash the passwords. A strong, peer-reviewed hashing algorithm that is well used in the community would have been better.
Whoops --- wish I had read that earlier. I had to change mine this morning to get on.

Offline von_Wanderlust

• Enthusiast
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2014, 03:38:11 am »
Hopefully it was a real notice from eBay and not a hacker "phishing" for passwords/info. If you are concerned, log back in (type it in yourself) and change it again.  :)

I received one from "eBay" on the weekend. The email itself came from an email server out of Austria so I suspect it was a fake. I just deleted it as I had already changed passwords.
2.5 kids: 1 x CB500, 1 x CB550, 0.5 x CB550 (all basket cases)

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2014, 12:44:49 pm »
Hopefully it was a real notice from eBay and not a hacker "phishing" for passwords/info. If you are concerned, log back in (type it in yourself) and change it again.  :)

I received one from "eBay" on the weekend. The email itself came from an email server out of Austria so I suspect it was a fake. I just deleted it as I had already changed passwords.

Pretty sure it is real as the notice pops up on my home page every time I open My Summary...Larrry

Offline von_Wanderlust

• Enthusiast
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2014, 08:29:21 pm »
Yes, there is definitely a real issue at the moment, it is also on my homepage, and it has been widley reported that eBay had lost them.

It has been so widely reported that even scammers will be on to it now. The problem is that they can create html links in email that look like a valid address, but actually send you to another, malicious copy-cat website, and they then take your details when you login and update your password. Entering the address yourself avoids that possibility.
2.5 kids: 1 x CB500, 1 x CB550, 0.5 x CB550 (all basket cases)

Offline FuZZie

• Expert
  • If I is expert, I can has cheezburger?
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 01:55:59 pm »
Sooo... first phishing email has shown up in my in box. Easy to spot just watch the address your asked to reply too! 

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 04:42:57 pm »
I had the phishing email turn up about an hour after the legit one, I had already gone into my account and changed my password before either notification.... ;)  If you aren't sure if the ebay email is legit, just go into your ebay account and change the password without the link.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.