Author Topic: gun massacre  (Read 27128 times)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: gun massacre
« Reply #475 on: June 18, 2014, 03:43:44 pm »
the french are our natural enemy , many people here believe the 100 year war ended prematurely .

be sensible though bobby,  no one wears your fashion .
Gee, all these years Fashion Week on 5th Ave must be an illusion? Michael Kors, Ralph Lauren, Vera Wang, John Varvados to name a few must be an illusion.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #476 on: June 18, 2014, 04:38:14 pm »
a whole week eh .

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #477 on: June 18, 2014, 04:47:01 pm »
Bobby - I think he means cowboy hats and boots aren't too popular outside our borders (at least not in Liverpool).  ;)
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #478 on: June 18, 2014, 05:53:02 pm »
I could be unkind, but I won't.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #479 on: June 18, 2014, 05:59:15 pm »
I could be unkind, but I won't.

You going to switch to cuisine...?   ;D  Sorry, couldn't help myself... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Roach Carver

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #480 on: June 18, 2014, 06:19:05 pm »
I am pretty sure we invented Chinese food. Your welcome.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #481 on: June 18, 2014, 06:40:32 pm »
I am pretty sure we invented Chinese food. Your welcome.

;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #482 on: June 19, 2014, 12:23:39 am »
Well it's good to see that Americans still recognise France's contribution to the very existance of the USA guys, for awhile there it was looking like you guys thought you'd won your independance on your own, which of course would have been impossible.

And I like Levi's too, although I get pissed off when I see that I'm paying US prices for Chinese jeans.......... ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline vfourfreak

• Do you think that's wise
  • Master
« Reply #483 on: June 19, 2014, 01:18:43 am »
And we gave the world Denim !

Kev

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #484 on: June 19, 2014, 03:10:04 am »
Well fcuk me sideways Kev, so you did! ;D

"The word "denim" comes from the name of a fabric that was first made in the city of Nîmes, France, by the André family. It was originally called serge de Nîmes but the name was soon shortened to "denim." Denim has been used in the United States since the late 18th century."
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline vfourfreak

• Master
« Reply #485 on: June 19, 2014, 03:18:00 am »
Yes indeed we did. Not a lot of people know that !

Kev

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #486 on: June 19, 2014, 03:29:36 am »
Good work mate, sure, the Macaroons might have invented the hamburger, but without France, they'd have no pants! ;D

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #487 on: June 19, 2014, 04:51:11 am »
Or fries with that burger- some dolts wanted to rename them to "Freedom Fries" after the hub-bub with France and the airspace spat. That was extremely short lived, thankfully.

I for one, reject the American trespass on wine origins. Having imported vines from France to California, Virginia, and other states, then grown our own Chardonnay, Sauvigon Blanc, etc.... It's the worst infringement of IP and trademark I know of. This is not a popular objection here, but I will not drink US made wines over this point. Makes me a bit of a martyr in my circles. Original, or none.

So Kev, please do send along a case or two of first growth Bordeaux to a friendly pal here in the States, would you?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #488 on: June 19, 2014, 05:13:29 am »
Well ever since Phylloxera the French wine is grown on American rootstock and the same is true for wine grown on American soil.

I guess saving the wine industry in France is big enough payment for using those names.

On the other hand, Phylloxera actually originated in America  ;D

But with a bit of research you can drink USA grown wine like Chardonel, cultivated by New York State Agricultural Experiment Station, Traminette  made by Herb C. Barrett at the University of Illinois, Norton cultivated in Richmond, VA and the list goes on and on.

Not putting down French wines at all, Kev  ;D  although lately I prefer Puglias.

Offline vfourfreak

• Master
« Reply #489 on: June 19, 2014, 06:04:08 am »
I put down all wines Prokop, regardless of origin. Down my gullet that is. The Phylloxera blight devestated most French wine regions, with the exception of the region where I live. The Phylloxera aphid apparently could not stand the sandy soil here, so all our vineyards were unaffected, indeed thrived feeding the rest of France.

Cal, I'll look into a nice parcel of goodies, but I'd rather be on hand to quaff it with you.

Kev

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #490 on: June 19, 2014, 06:21:03 am »
You turn up with a case of '89 Pichon Longueville Baron and I'll sear some rib eyes, whip up some proper Bearnaise, and we will find the bottom of a few bottles. Southern hospitality at its peak, acceptez vous?

Offline vfourfreak

• Master
« Reply #491 on: June 19, 2014, 06:36:33 am »
You turn up with a case of '89 Pichon Longueville Baron and I'll sear some rib eyes, whip up some proper Bearnaise, and we will find the bottom of a few bottles. Southern hospitality at its peak, acceptez vous?

J'accepte avec un trés grand plaisir !

But why bother with old wine, I'm sure I could find some newer stuff down the Supermarket.  ;D

Kev

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #492 on: June 19, 2014, 06:42:39 am »
I want wine nearly as old as my bikes... No supermarket bikes for me please!

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #493 on: June 19, 2014, 06:47:31 am »

But why bother with old wine, I'm sure I could find some newer stuff down the Supermarket.  ;D

Kev

I finish drinking my own wine just about when the time comes to harvest grapes  :)

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #494 on: June 19, 2014, 11:27:55 am »

Kev

Exactly, I like to pair a fine young Beaujolais with White Castle Sliders any time I get the chance. Perfect pairing along with some cheese fries and chicken rings.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #495 on: June 19, 2014, 03:53:52 pm »

Invitation accepted.... ;D ;)

Aussie wines aren't bad either guys, we have some of the best in the world... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #496 on: June 19, 2014, 04:09:34 pm »
+1 Australian wines are quite good.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
« Reply #497 on: June 19, 2014, 04:48:04 pm »

"The word "denim" comes from the name of a fabric that was first made in the city of Nîmes, France, by the André family. It was originally called serge de Nîmes but the name was soon shortened to "denim." Denim has been used in the United States since the late 18th century."

I guess the story goes Levi Strauss thought he could make a fortune selling tents to the gold rush miners but nobody was buying. He found out what the miners really wanted was some rugged trousers so Levi took all his tent fabric and made trousers out of it instead. After quickly running out of tent fabric he he had a hard time finding another rugged fabric until he found out about denim.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #498 on: June 19, 2014, 06:11:39 pm »

I guess the story goes Levi Strauss thought he could make a fortune selling tents to the gold rush miners but nobody was buying. He found out what the miners really wanted was some rugged trousers so Levi took all his tent fabric and made trousers out of it instead. After quickly running out of tent fabric he he had a hard time finding another rugged fabric until he found out about denim.

The original Levi’s jeans, made for Sierra Nevada gold rushers, were made of rugged hemp sailcloth.... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline yunk

« Reply #499 on: June 19, 2014, 08:02:46 pm »
yunk your english is good enough and your idea's have validity. What's your tax rate? What do you get for the taxes? Does it mean there is no one that's rich?
Does it stop smart people from getting to the top of their field?
Bill the demon.

Sorry if my response is late but I will try to answer your questions.

Im not sure what you mean with our tax rate, but the highest income tax that you could pay is 60%, average income tax is about 30%
We get free healthcare, education, paid sick leave among other things. Actually I think Canada is quit similar to western Europe when it comes to welfare.

Smart people do get to the top of their field.
And there are lots of rich people in Sweden, and according to Forbes, some even belong among the richest 500 in the world.

http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/list/#tab:overall_country:Sweden