Author Topic: gun massacre  (Read 27189 times)

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
Re: gun massacre
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2014, 04:04:33 am »
Kangaroos are just arseholes. I live in the northern suburbs of the city of Melbourne, and have recently seen several dead 'Roo's that have been hit by cars in nearby streets. When I commuted to Puckapunyal Military Base from 2002-2007 I lost count of how many of the big hairy bastards I hit in my little Toyota work truck, but I killed 6 in the first 6 months, and had the "Bull Bar" replaced twice in 4 years as it was so badly bent from hitting Roo's on the Hume Highway.

When I was visiting Brian (Bear) at the hospital a couple of years ago he introduced me to one of his fellow patients who'd been cleaned up by a Roo when riding his Italian sportsbike @ 60 MPH. The Roo hit him at right angles and threw him into a tree, turning him into an instant paraplegic. A month ago I almost joined him when a Wallaby (the Kangaroo's stupid little cousin) jumped off an embankment and smacked into me as I was cruising past on my big black 'Wang. Luckily enough it was just a slight graze and not a big whack, or I might have been history. How fcuking tragic would that be?

I'm a Beatles fan, but that silly old pr1ck Paul McCartney publicly supported a British hippy wanker protest against Kangaroo culling in 2008, so he can get fcuked too. If he's worried about Roo's being culled into extinction I'll take him for a drive up the Hume highway at dawn or dusk and see if he doesn't scream like Rolf Harris's 13 year old girlfriend when I have to start swerving around those big hairy jumping poofters who've got no road sense, they're just thinking about Kangaroo poontang and nothing else, and don't care who gets in their way.............. ;D

http://video.nationalgeographic.com.au/video/worlds-deadliest-ngs/deadliest-kangaroo#deadliest-kangaroo?source=relatedvideo&_suid=140144757278306965711560117402
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2014, 04:12:04 am »
The NRA was basically a educational organization for most of it's history. They were founded to promote Marksmanship and sponsored programs and materials. As a Boy Scout we were provided targets and training materials under an NRA program. They sponsored events and certified safety programs

Yes, that's the NRA I know.  They educated all my kids on gun safety and tought them to shoot - plus hundreds of other kids in our neighborhood.  We also get insurance through NRA for out shooting range to COA in the sue happy USA of today.  And NRA is in your corner in case like getting arrested for spelled shell in DC or similar crap the administration is willing to pull anytime they choose to.

Note the very important " 'was' basically an educational organization." That all changed when radicals overthrew the board of directors and ousted the leadership in 1977. Since then they have been nothing but a lobbying group for gun manufacturers and do the other things only to promote gun sales.

You don't say?  1977 I lived in Czechoslovakia, I am in USA since 90ties.  This is the only NRA I know. 

Maybe cut down on watching TV and actually get to know what you are talking about?

Actually, I do not have cable and rarely watch television. I do this thing called reading. Maybe you should read about the nra's history. You might find out about it's hostile takeover by radicals in 1977 and about how they used to be a non-partisan non-political organization that didn't believe in some absolute 2nd amendment right. Maybe cut down on your head in the sand.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 04:14:08 am by JeffSTL »

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2014, 04:14:55 am »
I am not talking NRA history, I am talking about my personal experience with NRA after it became only a lobby for gun makers - your words.

Since this is my experience against your opinion, I rest my case.

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2014, 04:22:42 am »
Rest your case with your head planted firmly in the sand. Good job.

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2014, 04:30:48 am »
You would think that a group that proclaims to it's membership to be about gun safety and education would do everything it can to help stem violent gun crime. Yet, they do nothing and are happy to do so.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2014, 04:50:46 am »
Terry - we have a very similar problem here to your kangaroos: the white tailed deer. Every fall through mid winter, they head into the delicious time of the year known as the rut. Once that happens, the incident rate of auto/animal accidents sky rockets. And it's not limited to any state (well perhaps Hawaii?).

Funny though, a couple of years back, I think 2009, the National Transportation Safety Board compiled a survey of all automobile insurance companies and the statistics were something very close to this:

Number of deer/ accidents for that year: 1,000,000
Cost of property damage as a result: 1,000,000,000
Number of human fatalities: 100,000

When I read that, I literally fell over. 100,000 deaths from hitting overgrown goats! WTF! So some savvy blokes recommended raising the harvest limits on deer. Then some "hippy wankers" cried foul and began a campaign to "live capture, neuter or at least inject birth control, then release unharmed" these innocent animals. They had enough public support from whackjob wankers to ultimately delay the efforts. But we again find ourself over run with deer on the roads. And international folks wonder why we can't solve a gun mentality? Brother, please! We can't even agree what bloody day it is here...

I had my own collision with a healthy middle aged buck about 2.5 years ago. I was fortunately able to avoid getting creamed by the lunkheads around me, but ended up taking the deer at a right angle into my drivers door. Tore the mirror clean off, and thru divine intervention, limited all the crash damage to my driver door. Not even a scratch on the wing (we call them fenders or quarter panels here) or the back door of my sedan. But my door was blasted. Even set off my side impact air bag.

What I discovered after about 5-6 minutes of slapping the deer around on the side of the roadway, in the light rain, dressed in my business clothing, was that deer don't carry insurance... 8)
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2014, 04:56:52 am »
Yes, deer is a problem.  I got 4 pointer with my CB750, two years ago:

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114567.0

Still have the dent in the fuel tank.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2014, 05:00:45 am »
who owns the deer?does the govt?ive hit I don't know how many roos in proper heavy trucks with proper bull bars that are designed to deflect what they hit downward and underneath and you hope an airhose doesent get ripped out,the govt here was thinking about banning bull bars because they kill people,then there was what angles they could be projected at etc?inventing jobs for themselves discussing it?

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2014, 05:04:07 am »
Thats why we have 2 million (no bullschidt) public servants in a country of 23 million Dave, 2 fcuking million! It's no wonder we're fcuking broke.............. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2014, 05:11:02 am »
I think that it is a problem of entitlement, something that has come to the fore and more so in recent years, the feeling of me, me, I'm number 1, me, me, me, ( I suspect that the rise of Walmart is part of the phenomenon ) if the Jones have that why can't I, me, me, me  and I also know that the ease of which instruments of power are available means that there is a lot of death. I think if all the guns were pulled and Bowie Knives were issued instead the death rate would plummet, the villians would react differently if they had to get their hands bloody rather than point their magic wand at their problem, as far as the NRA goes yes I remember a time when they were apolitical. In case new comers think that I'm anti gun, no, before I got old I could hit a pie plate at hundred yards with a variety of weapons from, .22-8mm, bolt to semi auto, iron sights to scope on a bad day 4 out of 5 times, I also lived in California just out side of LA for a couple of years. So entitlement and availability of guns are at least part of the problem. I see the  American Dream exported to my country and it sounds like OZ as well and I'm not against the states I just don't want have the same problems in the future which is why the wall comments.
Bill the demon.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2014, 05:13:18 am »
who owns the deer?does the govt?ive hit I don't know how many roos in proper heavy trucks with proper bull bars that are designed to deflect what they hit downward and underneath and you hope an airhose doesent get ripped out,the govt here was thinking about banning bull bars because they kill people,then there was what angles they could be projected at etc?inventing jobs for themselves discussing it?
In Michigan an officer will grant you a free permit and you can keep the deer if you want.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2014, 05:13:34 am »
Amen!!!!! ^^^^^* Our jobless rates would be astronomical if our Government hadn't expanded itself to create more useless, overpaid, worthless check grabbers that seem only capable of costing us tax dollars and returning nothing resembling an actual service, back to those from whom they take.

Want to see someone go off on a rant? Let's start a thread about government employees or elected officials. Then I bet we'd find consensus...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2014, 05:15:28 am »
I want a wall put up to keep out those sheep fcuking New Zealanders Bill, there's more fcuking Kiwi's in Oz than there are fcuking Roo's! ;D

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2014, 05:16:50 am »
I want a wall put up to keep out those sheep fcuking New Zealanders Bill, there's more fcuking Kiwi's in Oz than there are fcuking Roo's! ;D

Are they becoming a traffic hazard too? You'd think they weren't fast enough to dash into traffic from the roadside... ::)

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2014, 05:19:45 am »
Yeah mate, I've hit several Kiwi's in my work truck over the last few weeks, but to be fair, I had to drive through 3 fences to get them......... ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #90 on: May 30, 2014, 05:20:51 am »
theyre a traffic hazard alright!they are too busy saying "BRO"to each other as they cross the road to take notice of the traffic!

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #91 on: May 30, 2014, 05:24:08 am »
And they're taking all the good looking sheep! ;D

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #92 on: May 30, 2014, 05:24:56 am »
Is it necessary to modify the bull bar given their difference in posture/physique? I'd think with more mass weight at their waistline versus a 'Roos being lower, the bar might sheer them and not cast them off....

Concerned for your safety,
:-*

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #93 on: May 30, 2014, 05:42:01 am »
on a tangent the bull bar is designed to throw what it hits down on to the road before its run over,you don't slow down or brace yourself when you hit roos or cows in a heavy truck with a bull bar,you just yawn and hope any air hoses don't get ripped out,they make a noise like "boong  boong"steel bars are the best,alloy ones bend after a few hits,sharp dagger like spikes are illegal on the underside to shred these days,we hate roos,they aint all like you mighve seen on tv like skippy the nice #$%*?

they'll #$%*ing chase you down and rip you up!and we still don't need guns?much.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2014, 05:44:46 am by dave500 »

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #94 on: May 30, 2014, 05:44:28 am »
Probably not a problem in a big truck mate, I hit two in a Mack tipper in 1995 on a drive from Melbourne to Gove in the Northern Territory and they both went underneath, but in my little Toyota truck I had one hit the windscreen after it was flipped over the bullbar, but luckily it didn't come into the cab.

I had one go over the bonnet (hood) and roof of my old XR Falcon back in the 1980's. I had my H&R .22 Magnum in the boot, so I got out to put the Roo down, but he just hopped away, apparently unharmed? Poofter! I didn't even get a chance to shoot him ;D

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #95 on: May 30, 2014, 05:45:41 am »
they'll total any car!

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2014, 05:47:19 am »
Amen!!!!! ^^^^^* Our jobless rates would be astronomical if our Government hadn't expanded itself to create more useless, overpaid, worthless check grabbers that seem only capable of costing us tax dollars and returning nothing resembling an actual service, back to those from whom they take.

Want to see someone go off on a rant? Let's start a thread about government employees or elected officials. Then I bet we'd find consensus...

Actually, jobless rates would be much lower right now if not for cuts that have been made in government spending because of the "fiscal cliff" deal. Government employees are among the hardest hit during this "recovery" period. Three of my good friends are "worthless check grabbing" government employees. An audio engineer for the justice dept. in the federal courts, a librarian for the federal reserve, and a post office employee. All of whom have masters degrees, are brilliant and good people, work very hard at their positions, and would take offense to your characterization. By the way, they have all been working under pay freezes for several years now. It must feel good to be so self important.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2014, 05:48:30 am »
they'll total any car!
Roos or Kiwis?

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2014, 05:55:00 am »
both,give a kiwi a half decent car and he'll ruin it in six months.

Offline nightpoison

this may be a mistake, but hey I'll try
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2014, 06:00:33 am »
Hello everyone, wow this thread has really gotten a lot of discussion going. Like another member said it’s good to talk about, even with differing sides. I would like to throw some things out there.

1)   Forbes recently did an article about gun crime. The article talked about the dramatic increase in gun sales over the past two decades and how gun crime has actually one down at a similar rate. They used the FBI database for their sources. A government source, In fact almost every year for the past two decades we have seen gun crime going down, based only on the FBI Gun Crime stats.  I believe over the past 20 years that homicides are down 39% and other gun crimes are down by 69%, when compared to population increase.  Remember to be fair you need to look at it in a per 100,000 population study.

2)   On the flip side, gun crime rose more dramatically when we started to regulate firearms. For most of the 50’s and early 60’s crime was static. (it’s a grey area in regards to these statistics as they didn’t have great records for 50’s, 60’s were much better and more accurate) Didn’t have any growth in crime, yet our population continued to grow. In 1968 we had some fairly significant gun control introduced and crime started to increase.

3)   Let’s jump back to modern day. If you look at our crime statistics, specifically crime in the states, let’s narrow it down to major cities with significant gun control. Most of the crime statistics for the country can be narrowed down to these cities. Washington DC, Chicago, Detroit, and Oakland California to name a few. These cities have the countries strongest gun control; however they make a majority of the crime and gun crime in this country. Recently gun bans in Chicago and DC have been lifted by the court systems. Since those bans have been lifted Crime has been reduced by 15 percent in Chicago, and 34 percent in DC. That’s just in the first 6 months since the bans were lifted and law abiding citizens are now allowed to protect themselves.

4)   I’m going to ignore the fact that our constitution states we have a right to own firearms, not a privilege. This right is for self-defense and to make sure government doesn’t get out of control. I’m going to ignore it because that’s a whole nothing can of worms. What I will say is this, it has been ruled in about 8 different court cases, mainly supreme court, that “You, and only you, are responsible for your security and the security of your family and loved ones.” The police have no legal duty to protect you, even if you have received death threats. So the right to self-defense is important and for some a gun is the way to go

5)   For instance it’s reported every year that over 100,000 women use a gun to protect themselves from rape. And it was only 5% that they actually used the gun. Here’s a good one for you. 2% of shootings that are done by a law abiding citizen were in error, at someone that wasn’t a criminal. Yet the police have an error rate of 11%.

Ok I have tons more data, numbers mostly taking from the FBI crime statistics database and other GOVERNMENT sources. What’s strange is the main stream media don’t talk about these numbers or the lives that are saved because of firearms.

I’m not taking away from the senseless acts that occur. I’m not saying that we should have all gun laws torn up. I believe in some regulation, however, I don’t believe in politicians creating laws to give the appearance of being tough on crime that hurt the law abiding citizens. Recently we had a politician in California who is now being charged with weapons trafficking. We need to enforce our current laws. In Massachusetts only 10% of gun crimes are taking to court where mandatory minimum sentences would be used. Plea bargains the other 90% with less than a year of jail time at most. By the way all of which did not involve legal gun owners.