Author Topic: Braze it or MIG it  (Read 792 times)

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
Braze it or MIG it
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:17:16 am »
I've had to replace the rear foot peg holders that were a bit mangled up on a 750 frame.
What I did was to machine some round bar slugs to fit inside of the tubing and lock it all together to keep it squared up.

I'm leaning towards brazing because I reckon that it's going to be strong enough with the round bar inside.
Any thoughts?

If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

AJK

Re: Braze it or MIG it
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 01:52:39 am »
That would be a neat repair the way your've done it with that solid internal support. I'd be erring to braze it as it would likely flow better on the inside making for a more robust joint. That said, mig would work as well but i'm thinking you might have to V-groove your posts a bit more if you go mig.

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 02:02:02 am »
Mick, I would lean towards the mig, but I would turn the heat up to ensure you get penetration through into the slug.  I can't see why brazing wouldn't work though.  It should be strong enough, but you would want to ensure you have good flow onto your slug.  The one in the pipe, you don't want to flow braze onto your other one ;D.
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2014, 02:19:47 am »
Mostly I'm thinking about having a clean finish when it's done.
Another idea which is probably overkill was to run a 3/16" drill in a couple of places through the tubing and spot weld  the slugs with the MIG and then braze the joints.

The 2 longer slugs are a wisker smaller than the other 2 so that they can be pushed right into the peg holder and then tapped through into the frame tube when it's lined up.
They're still an interferance fit but can slide inside with a few knocks.
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 06:33:59 am »
MIG or TIG. And do drill thru and weld fill it for full and proper strength. Leave the brazing for non-stress bearing elements.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2014, 09:55:23 am »
If the brazing  doesn't work you have to clean off all the material involved before you try to weld , which could be a serious drawback to using brass.  It might herp to get the slug good and hot with a torch before you start welding.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:05:25 am by faux fiddy »
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 10:01:31 am »
Please drill out the slugs to same wall thickness or thinner, they will concentrate stress in that area.  I would not plug weld the sides, absolutely unnecessary. And. Way more cleanup in this application ..
 I think brazing will be quicker cleaner, faster. Job..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline Steve F

• I have "some-timer's disease" because I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • "To Ride Is The Reason, The Destination The Excuse
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 07:03:24 pm »
If it was mine, I'd TIG it with a 1/16 mild steel rod to fill the groove and smooth it down after with sanding disc.
I'd also do the drill and rosette weld about an inch away from the weld joint.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 11:18:28 am »
Please drill out the slugs to same wall thickness or thinner, they will concentrate stress in that area.  I would not plug weld the sides, absolutely unnecessary. And. Way more cleanup in this application ..
 I think brazing will be quicker cleaner, faster. Job..
This would get my vote.
 The plug is going to suck a lot of heat away from the join.  The brazed joint will be stronger than the original tube.  I'd worry about stress cracking if welding with steel alloy rod, unless you heat the frame components near to welding temp during the weld.

Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline Ichiban 4

• "Ichi"
  • Hot Shot
  • A "Boomer" still going strong.
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 12:34:17 pm »
Before there was MIG or TIG..all bike frames were brazed at the various connection points.  When I worked for a Schwinn dealership (who at one time also made Henderson and Excelsior motorcycles BTW)..a good brazed frame would break somewhere other than the braze joints..before breaking at the braze joints.  We also used to test the braze joints by periodically putting them in a stress press..to see how much force it took to break the braze.

Point I'm suggesting is..that brazed joints..reinforced by sleeves or lugs..can be stronger than parent metal.  The limitation to brazing nowadays is the extra time and equipment required to do a good job (some requires pre-heating and "tinning").  But that's more of a production consideration nowadays..not quite so critical for us wrench monkeys..I suggest..

Cheers

Ichi
Al Summers

Present: '77 550K
Past: '73 CB450(twin), '72 CB175, '68 CB350, '58 Ariel Square 4 (1000cc), '58 Matchless Typhoon (650cc single), Whizzer Motorbikes '48 -'55 (Pacemaker & Sportsman)..Vespa, Lambretta scooters..etc.

Offline mick7504

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 01:40:29 am »
I've bored out one of the slug/inserts.
The wall thickness is .08mm less than the frame tube wall thickness and I'll braze them in which will give it more than enough strength for a foot peg/muffler mount.

Thanks for your help and suggestions gents.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 02:09:19 am by mick7504 »
If I was you
I'd be worried about me.