Author Topic: CB550 Stock Airbox Improvements?  (Read 521 times)

Offline jcorrill

• Elite School of Wrestling
CB550 Stock Airbox Improvements?
« on: May 31, 2014, 09:08:14 am »
So i have read all of Hondamans threads, finding many good little tips to increase power in my '78 CB550; however i am fairly new to the vintage bike scene, therefor i am not great with the terminology.  I was just wondering if there are K&N air filter that will work with stock air box - and what other adjustments can be made to improve my bikes performance.  As i mentioned above, i have read Hondaman's posts, however i always and left wondering either what that means or how to accomplish it.  Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks fellas

Jake C.
Nothing will test your patience like owning a vintage motorcycle.

Offline TwoTired

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: CB550 Stock Airbox Improvements?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2014, 11:08:36 am »
Have you made any engine mods that require induction "improvements?
Are you planning to run it at or above red line a lot to take advantage of mods?
Do you mind frequent top end overhauls?

You don't get something for nothing.  They are called engineering trade offs.  Power vs longevity/reliability.

How much is 2 HP worth to you at the high red line?  How much street driveability and throttle twist response loss is acceptable to you?
Lloyd... (SOHC4 #11 Original Mail List)
72 500, 74 550, 75 550K, 75 550F, 76 550F, 77 550F X2, 78 550K, 77 750F X2, 78 750F, 79CX500, 85 700SC, GL1100

Those that learn from history are doomed to repeat it by those that don't learn from history.

Offline jcorrill

• Elite School of Wrestling
Re: CB550 Stock Airbox Improvements?
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 08:47:50 am »
I don't ride that hard (usually never redline or even get close to it) - but i am just looking for a few little tweaks i can make.  I have just recently put a new seat pan on, that has a gap where the intake is, to allow more air to reach the engine.  I was also thinking that a new filter would also help.  Any advice or thoughts on what i am trying ot acomplish?  thanks for the response.

Jake
Nothing will test your patience like owning a vintage motorcycle.