Author Topic: speedometer sounds like a tortured cow  (Read 3010 times)

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
speedometer sounds like a tortured cow
« on: June 06, 2014, 07:58:59 pm »
There was a thread about this about 4 years ago, and after having gone through it myself for the last two days, thought I should share my cure:
Unscrew the speedo cable, and fill the void in the knurled end with a light lithium grease, like Lubriplate. When you screw the end back onto the speedo, some of the grease will be forced into the bushing. It might help to have the front wheel off the ground and spinning while you tighten the end. In my case, I rode the bike up and down the street, added another shot of grease, rode the bike again and bingo, all the noise stopped within a block, and the needle was steady instead of jumping up and down. ;D
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
Re: speedometer sounds like a tortured cow
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2015, 02:09:34 pm »
There was a thread about this about 4 years ago, and after having gone through it myself for the last two days, thought I should share my cure:
Unscrew the speedo cable, and fill the void in the knurled end with a light lithium grease, like Lubriplate. When you screw the end back onto the speedo, some of the grease will be forced into the bushing. It might help to have the front wheel off the ground and spinning while you tighten the end. In my case, I rode the bike up and down the street, added another shot of grease, rode the bike again and bingo, all the noise stopped within a block, and the needle was steady instead of jumping up and down. ;D

Glad you brought this back up! I forgot about it, and am working on a long-sitting cafe' bike that howls.
Thanks!
HM
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: speedometer sounds like a tortured cow
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 02:12:37 pm »
anytime I have heard this sound before, the speedo cable broke shortly thereafter.  Upon replacement of the cable, no noise...
If it works good, it looks good...