Author Topic: Zoink 74 CB750  (Read 1362 times)

Ginseng

Zoink 74 CB750
« on: September 20, 2006, 09:17:25 am »
 ;D Well i put some money down with this guy to hold a 1974 CB 750

It is in very good shape, only one little are with an oil leak and the engine sounds great.

I wasn't sure about it and then I heard it start and I could hear the sounds of the Honda ATV's i grew up ridding all over again.
It really is a nice engine...

It only has, from what I can tell, been slightly modified... a 4-1 aftermarket muffler and a 16'' back wheel

I am 99% certain I will pick it up but I wanted to get your help/ oppinion on it. 

I want to ride it to school and on weekends so I do not want to tear it apart all at once, but look at doing small projects on a weekly bassis and then larger projects durring school breaks.

I figure I can slowly buy the parts for each next portion as i go and when I have everything I need, I will work on that one bit. 

So I have been doing a fair amount of reading and am getting an idea of some of the projects out there, I want to cafe it, but don't have alot of time all at once.

So if I could ask your help,

What should I do right away for the overall bike health and how do I go about planning the conversion, i.e. where do I start, how can I chunk certain bits together, I.e if I am doing Clip ons what else will I need to do at the same time... etc

Hope it is not to vauge but maybe you all can get me started and then I will ask better questions.

Ginseng 

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
Re: Zoink 74 CB750
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 09:47:07 am »
Initially, I'd check the braking system. Doesn't do any good to go unless you can stop without killing yourself. Fix it if it needs to be fixed. At the least flush out the front disc and replace the fluid. Obviously check the condition of your tires. Oil & adjust your chain. Full oil change. Grease the rear swing arm. Change the fork oil. Since it's running and you can now safely stop run a tank or two of Sea Foam or BG44K through the carbs. Now it's tune up time. Points, plugs, timing, carb sync. Don't forget to check the steering head bearings for looseness and tighten if needed.

Time to do some riding and start thinking about your winter projects while you can't ride.   
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

USN20

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 10:12:35 am »
To identify OEM Honda parts by name and part number, an online fiche is helpful. Here's one for the 1974 Honda CB750K4 that you're thinking about buying.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1974&fveh=3002

The more experienced forum members can point you in the right direction for cafe / aftermarket part sources.

Ginseng

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 10:25:00 am »
Thanks Griff

I live in San Diego,

Whats a winter project...  We have Sun all but three weeks a year!

Dave

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2006, 01:30:28 pm »
yea,thats right rub it in
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3