Author Topic: ran out of adjustment on my points plate  (Read 2419 times)

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
ran out of adjustment on my points plate
« on: June 15, 2014, 11:24:48 am »
Hello
I have just straightened my points shaft as per Hondaman's book.
Put the points plate back on with the slotted adjustment part set in the middle of the mounting screws and checked the points gap. This is a new genuine Honda points plate.

I went to set the timing with a strobe light by attatching the pickup to number 1 spark plug lead and setting the 1 and 4 timing mark by moving the entire points plate. I ran out of adjustment before getting the "F" mark to line properly.

Then I moved the pickup for the timing light to number 3 spark plug lead and went to set the 2 and 4 timing by just moving the points set but leaving the points plate where I set it a few minutes ago.  Once again I run out of adjustment just before getting the "F" mark to line up.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome
Thanks
Scott

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
Re: ran out of adjustment on my points plate
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 11:34:40 am »
Dunno what bike you have but the correct procedure is to start with adjusting the breakerpoints gap. If the gap (dwell) is not within spec, you can easily get out of adjustment range. Btw, experienced mechanics seldom adjusted the plates (I know it is in every manual and that's why everybody with restless hands... ) but by bringing the points to the proper gap (dwell), they'd set the ignition. There's so much twisting of the ignition plates in this forum, I can't believe it. I never touch them but do all the ignition timing by adjusting the breaker points.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 11:37:41 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 11:55:51 am »
Woops forgot the bike, it is a CB750 1972.
I had the points plate off the bike in order to straighten the points shaft.
I'll take another look at the points gap but I thought I had them set correctly at around .35mm using feeler gauge.

Can I muck around with point gap while the engine is running.  I have never set dwell with engine running that I can remember, but maybe it will help get the timing marks to line up.

Scott

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 12:01:13 pm »
As a matter of fact, I only use a dwell meter to set the breaker points gap and so the ignition timing. Then I do a routine check with the strobe and it's always good and I have no further adjustments to make by twisting plates. Recommended. Ofcourse if a PO has messed with everything you have to follow the full procedure (first gaps then timing).
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline martin99

• UK Based, Non-
  • Master
  • Adventure before Dementia
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 01:06:46 pm »
Build threads:
77 750F2 Refresh Project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144075.0
TRIBSA http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160296.0.html

1977 CB750 F2
1958 Norton Model 99
2011 Triumph Street Triple 675

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 01:14:12 pm »
thanks I'll get on top of this latter today.  With the time differences I'm off to work and will play with the bike when I get home

Scott

Offline tlbranth

• Master
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 09:17:33 pm »
I never had a dwell meter so always adjusted points with a feeler gauge, a frustrating hobby. Then I adjust the timing by moving the points plates. Only once did I run into the "no more adjustment" problem and I then changed the point gap to compensate. You can adjust the point gap with the engine running if you loosen the points just enough to stay put but be moved with a screwdriver. Of course, as soon as you batten 'em down the timing will change so you have to allow for it.
Don't own a Vanagon
Don't work at Boeing
Life is good

1970 CB750 K0
1975 GL1000
1999 GL1500
2002 VT750-CDA ACE - Momma's bike
Terry

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 09:50:12 pm »
The first 'clue' here is" you have a K2 and the points plate is new manufacture. Check for "looseness" in the whole plate against the ridge that is supposed to center it. I recently bought an OEM (TEC brand) plate set, and the diameter of the plate is slightly small on int. I had to lift the plate upward toward the top "ridge" and set a feeler gage in the bottom lip (to hold it there) while adjusting things. This worked out well in the end, and I cinched the screws down like that.

The gap: it can range .012" to .016". Usually with the TEC sets, they come in around .014" to .015" when thy "hit the marks". I usually set them with a .014" gage statically, then run a timing light on them to find the "F" marks by adjusting gaps "live". Afterward I make sure they fall within the .012"-.016" spec.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 12:24:02 am »
Thankyou all
I got a new timing light today that is brighter than my old one.

I ended up with best results pushing the points plate to the bottom.  So with the feeler gauge pushing the plate upwards it was still hard to get it spot on with out having the plate at maximum adjustment.  Once I took the feeler gauge out and let the plate go down towards the bottom the timing mark lined up.

Any one know what the dwell should be out of interest sake.  Both timing marks line up perfectly and the points gap(s) are with in specs, but my new timing light has a dwell meter built into it so I thought I may as well have a play with it.

Thanks again.

Hondaman I will need to contact you shortly to get a few things for a new to me K2 I just picked up.

Scott

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 01:20:29 am »
but my new timing light has a dwell meter built into it
Are you sure it's a dwell meter?
See:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=136326.msg1535052#msg1535052
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 02:00:13 am by Deltarider »
CB500K2-ED Excel black

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2014, 03:09:42 am »
Yes.
In the handle of the timing light it has an analog gauge that can be set to dwell volt or tacho.
The volt works cause I have hooked the timing light up to my bike battery
For the dwell or tacho the timing light has a green wire to hook up to the coil.
Then I just need to set the switch in the handle of the timing light to the setting I want to use and read the appropriate scale.

I have had Hondamans ignition module fitted for a while now since I put the new Honda points plate assembly in, but I never checked the points shaft for run out until a few days ago. Now the shaft is straight and the points/timing good I don't think I will need to touch it again for a while

Scott

Scott

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2014, 11:16:28 am »
Yes.
In the handle of the timing light it has an analog gauge that can be set to dwell volt or tacho.
The volt works cause I have hooked the timing light up to my bike battery
For the dwell or tacho the timing light has a green wire to hook up to the coil.
Then I just need to set the switch in the handle of the timing light to the setting I want to use and read the appropriate scale.

I have had Hondamans ignition module fitted for a while now since I put the new Honda points plate assembly in, but I never checked the points shaft for run out until a few days ago. Now the shaft is straight and the points/timing good I don't think I will need to touch it again for a while

Scott

Scott

Depending on your dwell meter, it may read OK and may not with the Transistor Ignition hooked up. Reason: some [lesser] dwell meters presume a full 12 volt peak to the points, and the box lowers this voltage. The better dwell meters measure time: the cheaper ones use a resistor and capacitor to filter the pulse into a voltage instead.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2014, 11:38:50 am »
Just set the points wit a volt-ohm meter set on the ohms x 1000 scale.
KEy in the OFF position. No need to keep sizzling the points over and over.

Forget the timing light.
If the static timing is ok then the advance unit will take car of advancing the timing.
Don't worry about it.

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2014, 02:48:35 pm »
so long as the advance unit is alright?