Author Topic: Extending starter/solenoid cable  (Read 1931 times)

Offline JoeP

Extending starter/solenoid cable
« on: June 16, 2014, 06:22:54 pm »
What's the best way to extend the (+) cable going from the solenoid to the starter? Will bolting an extension wire to the existing end connector work, or should I cut the wire and use a wire butt connector? Anyone know what gauge wire this is on a 76 CB550?

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
Re: Extending starter/solenoid cable
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 06:40:15 pm »
I would make a new cable with soldered copper connectors, not sure what gauge it is, 8 or 10?

Offline JoeP

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 06:43:21 pm »
I would make a new cable with soldered copper connectors, not sure what gauge it is, 8 or 10?

I'm guessing 8. The problem is that the cable that goes into the starter looks like it's hard-wired in. If I make a new cable, do I need to take the starter apart to connect it?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 07:53:17 pm »
I would solder a solid core cable to it using butt connector that is soldered to both ends. Cover the junction with shrink wrap. Tin the ends first and make sure that connection is solid.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:26:44 am »

I'm guessing 8. The problem is that the cable that goes into the starter looks like it's hard-wired in. If I make a new cable, do I need to take the starter apart to connect it?

Yeah that would be pain, I did not know that.

Offline JoeP

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 04:45:01 am »
I would solder a solid core cable to it using butt connector that is soldered to both ends. Cover the junction with shrink wrap. Tin the ends first and make sure that connection is solid.

Got it. Thanks!

Offline Bodi

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 07:17:24 am »
option 1 -Get an extension made with properly crimped eye lugs. Connect the original and the extension using a short bolt an nut, with flat washers and a lockwasher. The terminals should touch, no washer between them. Cleaning any corrosion off the ends is a good plan. Wrap with self vulcanizing tape and electrical tape.
option 2 - Have a new cable made. I have never seen a starter motor where the wire goes direct inside somewhere, but I suppose they exist? Check and make sure there's no stud connection.
option 3 - extend the cable with a butt splice. This is most difficult because the original cable is a metric size that is not equal to any AWG size. The butt has to be sized properly to crimp properly. The factory cable is close to either #8 or #6, I don't recall which. Use heat shrink (glue coated is best) over the joint.

Regardless - DO NOT use solid wire. It belongs inside walls where nothing moves. It should never be used on any vehicle except to tie a loose muffler up until you get it properly fixed.

Crimping - small crimp lugs can be fairly successfully attached with hardware store crimping pliers. There are proper tools to do this right, but they cost a bunch. For larger wire sizes, you really need the proper tool. It is not worth buying it for a couple of crimps. Find an electrical contractor that can make up the cable.
The best cable to use is welding cable, this has very thick insulation though. Car stereo shops have quite flexible cable that would be good. Standard electrical wire with 7 strands is still about as stiff as a coat hanger wire and a true pain to bend and route: it's made to be pulled into large conduits with large radius elbows - pulled with a winch. You want wire that's much more flexible.

Offline wowbagger

• Not much of an
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 07:34:25 am »
I found a guy on eBay that makes heavy gauge wires for outdoor solar panel installations. I ordered an extension wire from him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Gauge-AWG-Custom-Battery-Cables-Solar-Marine-Power-Inverter-Copper-Wire-/380875283025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item9764cfc0a1

Offline JoeP

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 04:54:49 pm »
I found a guy on eBay that makes heavy gauge wires for outdoor solar panel installations. I ordered an extension wire from him.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Gauge-AWG-Custom-Battery-Cables-Solar-Marine-Power-Inverter-Copper-Wire-/380875283025?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item9764cfc0a1

Thanks! I just ordered one. Will go with Bodi's option 1 and just bolt on the extension.