Author Topic: Becoming an expat?  (Read 5667 times)

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
Becoming an expat?
« on: June 18, 2014, 11:23:03 am »
My wife and I have a strong desire to get out of Missouri.  The city we live in, St. Louis, is ok, but the outlying areas of the state are a constant drag. We toss around a lot of ideas about places that might better suit the life we like to live. Places like Seattle, Minneapolis, Portland, Denver, Burlington VT, etc. The ultimate dream being a country that might fit better. Maybe Australia, New Zealand, Canada or somewhere in Europe. Our sights are set on beyond 2017 when our son graduates from high school. Maybe longer depending on his higher education plans.

This forum is about the only contact I have with people abroad. So, my question is are you an expat? How and why did you make it happen? How has it been? Are you native to another country but know something about it's immigration policies? Keep in mind that we are a working class family of modest means. We do not have connections of any kind and this would not be a job transfer situation. We would need to find employment. It would not be a retiring abroad situation.

Thanks,
Jeff

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
Re: Becoming an expat?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 11:28:20 am »
...And yes I intend to import my CB750.  :)

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 11:55:00 am »
Like Napoleon Dynamite said, "Do you have mad skills?"
What types of skills or degrees you and your wife have can help determine where you can live.
If you have the right skillset you can move anywhere you want.

If I had a place to move to I would probably pick Vancouver, BC.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 12:28:19 pm »
I have a degree in mechanical drawing/AutoCAD, but have never worked in the field. I've been a CNC machinist for 20 years. I program, setup and operate 11 axis Swiss screw machines. My wife has a degree in psychology, but has not worked in that field due to miserably low wages. She is the office manager of a 100yr old plumbing company.

Not sure you could call those "mad skills". We are just regular people in search of a better way of life.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2014, 01:16:11 pm »
The PNW is a great place except for the 8 mos out of the year where the weather sucks b@lls.
Only a few places in Europe top the PNW as places i'd want to live....

Boeing, and the long list of local sub-contractors/suppliers come to mind with your area of expertise.
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2014, 01:33:23 pm »
It's funny, I've been to the PNW a couple of times. Seattle with a tour around the Olympic peninsula and to Portland... Nothing but sunshine both times.

The weather here is pretty nasty. Freezing in the winter, hot and humid as #$%* in the summer...with a bonus of severe storms and tornados.

Offline simon#42

• Old Timer
  • liverpool
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2014, 01:47:41 pm »
much as i love england i would not recommend it to you in your situation . housing is very expensive and to start here from scratch would be difficult .
from reading some of your other posts i do think you would like it here though , australia , canada or new zealand would be easier choices .
you are both far from unskilled so i would think you would be welcome ,  members from the above places can confirm or deny this !

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 01:58:35 pm »
It's funny, I've been to the PNW a couple of times. Seattle with a tour around the Olympic peninsula and to Portland... Nothing but sunshine both times.

The weather here is pretty nasty. Freezing in the winter, hot and humid as #$%* in the summer...with a bonus of severe storms and tornados.
Drizzle wet and 40-50 mostly, October thru March/April.  Occasionally we get cold enough to snow downtown.  Makes a mess, but it melts off pretty quickly.   Summers are great.
Boeing plants (two) are here, and I have connections at both.  One friend is high up there in the tooling division. 
If you land here, let me know and i'll help if I can....
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mine…"

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 01:59:18 pm »
Head this way, Jeff; strong economy and a lot of work for good fabricators. And you'll never be shot at.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 03:33:08 pm »
I would think Alberta might be worth a look cold yes but the wages are good and skilled people are in demand. Right K/C?
Bill the demon.

Offline Killer Canary

• Master
  • Typical Bran Muffin
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 04:28:11 pm »
Absolutely. As a welder/machinist/ fabricator I can't be unemployed. The west is cooking.
If it's worth doing at all it's worth over-doing.
Honda MT250, CB400F, CB450K, CB550, GL500, CBR929
Kawi GPz900, H1

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 06:46:04 pm »

Drizzle wet and 40-50 mostly, October thru March/April.  Occasionally we get cold enough to snow downtown.  Makes a mess, but it melts off pretty quickly.   Summers are great.
Boeing plants (two) are here, and I have connections at both.  One friend is high up there in the tooling division. 
If you land here, let me know and i'll help if I can....

Thanks!

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 07:08:03 pm »
I would think Alberta might be worth a look cold yes but the wages are good and skilled people are in demand. Right K/C?
Bill the demon.

Calgary?  I'm fine with cold and love snow. Would a lot of the work in Alberta revolve around the tar sands? Being a part of that would not be my first choice. That might sound a bit idealistic, but that is kinda the point. Trying to find the ideal place, while knowing it doesn't exist, but finding the closest fit.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 07:11:46 pm by JeffSTL »

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2014, 07:10:22 pm »
You may find it hard to settle into Europe. You need a work permit and as you can understand in this economy they need to look out for their own. If you skills are needed in Canada that would be a choice, it depends on how Canada feels about immigrant labor at any given time.

Places like Boeing could be a opportunity.  I suggest you check the job boards for your specific skills, that should tell you the places your skills are needed.

There are sites where you can look at climate, taxes, Schools, crime rates etc.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2014, 07:19:33 pm »
You may find it hard to settle into Europe. You need a work permit and as you can understand in this economy they need to look out for their own. If you skills are needed in Canada that would be a choice, it depends on how Canada feels about immigrant labor at any given time.

Places like Boeing could be a opportunity.  I suggest you check the job boards for your specific skills, that should tell you the places your skills are needed.

There are sites where you can look at climate, taxes, Schools, crime rates etc.

I understand and look at those sites often. I was looking for some first hand experience.

Won't have to worry about schools personally, but a nation that invests in education will benefit the whole society.

Checking Boeing's job sites is not really in the picture yet. I'm several years off and they could bust the unions and move to a right to work state by then.  :)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2014, 07:26:03 pm »
I dream of moving to Ecuador.  Beautiful country, great weather and low cost of living. 
Many expats live there. 
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline DavePhipps

• Expert
  • Reading the entire Hi-Perf forum
    • Hillside Technology
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 08:29:34 pm »
I  vote PNW. I used to live in Everett WA and loved the riding around there.  I actually like riding in the rain and ride year round so the mild winters there never bothered me. Lots of cool bike both new and old, and even some racetracks around the area if you want some track day time. Heck if you change your mind and want to go to Canada it pretty dang close to Seattle are.
Bikes:
90 FZR600 RA
74 CB550k
78 GL1000
72 CB500K

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 03:55:34 am »
You can find more information on expats in my country here:

http://www.internations.org/czech-republic-expats

There are 50 000+ Americans living in CR, they even have their own newspaper:

http://www.praguepost.com/

As a CNC machinist you could find job easily, they are always needed. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 04:26:42 am by 70CB750 »

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 04:15:41 am »
Cheap real estate over here in Detroit and they could use a few 'good' people   :D

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 06:48:36 am »
Cheap real estate over here in Detroit and they could use a few 'good' people   :D

Not exactly the utopia I'm in search of :)

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 06:54:28 am »
You can find more information on expats in my country here:

http://www.internations.org/czech-republic-expats

There are 50 000+ Americans living in CR, they even have their own newspaper:

http://www.praguepost.com/

As a CNC machinist you could find job easily, they are always needed.

I see you speaking fondly of the freedoms here and the greatness of the "founding fathers" and the constitution in the gun thread, then I see in another thread that you are "stuck" here and are hoping to retire in the CR. What gives?

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 06:57:59 am »
Hmm, maybe when you live in foreign country for - 17 years now - you will understand that.

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 07:32:36 am »
Just a longing for "home", huh? I could understand that.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:38:02 am by JeffSTL »

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 07:45:14 am »
i guess i've been an expat all my life:
my parents escaped communist hungary and didn't ask my permission so i grew up in germany. since then i had shorter stints in switzerland and sweden, lived for 6 years in ireland and now 10 in the netherlands. but honestly, i've never considered myself an "expat" as i'm not even sure what my original homeland is - just living my life in whatever place it happens to be at the time.

anyway, if you make the big move make sure you're aware that it will offer new chances, possibilities, adventure, benefits etc but unless you have it all prearranged and are possibly even being set up by the company that hired you to go there, it will take a chunk out of your life: about 5 year's worth of time, money, career. don't want to scare you, just being realistic based on my own experience.

to me it was worth it every time so far but i'm also aware that compared to guys who stayed put i've built up less pension, am not as high up on the career ladder and instead have spent more time just finding a head over my roof, doing odd jobs to get some money in running around trying to get organised while getting settled. probably not everyone's thing but it worked out for me as i'm always open for something new and probably more of a nomadic type anyway.

what you give up is proximity to family and old friends. what learned is that good friends will stay, wherever you are even if contact becomes less frequent. others might drop off but will be replaced soon enough with new ones at your new location.

in terms of work: yes naturally, it makes sense to go somewhere where you have a chance with your skills. that's actually how me and my partner decided to move to amsterdam from ireland when things didn't go so well for here there. we didn't have anything arranged upfront, though, and just started looking once here. the first couple of months just living off savings, then doing temporary work until we finally found something in our respective fields. we arrived here before the recession hit which made things easier but still took some time as we didn't know anything or anyone in the beginning.
sounds to me like with your CNC skills you should be ok as long as there's industry around.

so yes it will take some effort and you'll probably make some sacrifices but you pick your own place, carve your own life, open up new chances for yourselves and get to know and learn an awful lot in the process.

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 07:59:36 am »
i guess i've been an expat all my life:
my parents escaped communist hungary and didn't ask my permission so i grew up in germany. since then i had shorter stints in switzerland and sweden, lived for 6 years in ireland and now 10 in the netherlands. but honestly, i've never considered myself an "expat" as i'm not even sure what my original homeland is - just living my life in whatever place it happens to be at the time.

anyway, if you make the big move make sure you're aware that it will offer new chances, possibilities, adventure, benefits etc but unless you have it all prearranged and are possibly even being set up by the company that hired you to go there, it will take a chunk out of your life: about 5 year's worth of time, money, career. don't want to scare you, just being realistic based on my own experience.

to me it was worth it every time so far but i'm also aware that compared to guys who stayed put i've built up less pension, am not as high up on the career ladder and instead have spent more time just finding a head over my roof, doing odd jobs to get some money in running around trying to get organised while getting settled. probably not everyone's thing but it worked out for me as i'm always open for something new and probably more of a nomadic type anyway.

what you give up is proximity to family and old friends. what learned is that good friends will stay, wherever you are even if contact becomes less frequent. others might drop off but will be replaced soon enough with new ones at your new location.

in terms of work: yes naturally, it makes sense to go somewhere where you have a chance with your skills. that's actually how me and my partner decided to move to amsterdam from ireland when things didn't go so well for here there. we didn't have anything arranged upfront, though, and just started looking once here. the first couple of months just living off savings, then doing temporary work until we finally found something in our respective fields. we arrived here before the recession hit which made things easier but still took some time as we didn't know anything or anyone in the beginning.
sounds to me like with your CNC skills you should be ok as long as there's industry around.

so yes it will take some effort and you'll probably make some sacrifices but you pick your own place, carve your own life, open up new chances for yourselves and get to know and learn an awful lot in the process.

Thanks for your perspective. I'd imagine being from a country in the EU it is much easier to move around. I don't know that I'd be very welcome in any of those places. A work visa might be difficult to obtain.