Author Topic: Becoming an expat?  (Read 5641 times)

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Proud Owner of the Babe Thread & Dirty Old Man
Re: Becoming an expat?
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2014, 04:35:48 pm »
Welcome to 21st Century business practices.

Doesn't mean we have to like them Bobby... ;)
I would hope you would not,  and people speak up about it before it is too late.
Dedicated to Sgt. Howard Bruckner 1950 - 1969. KIA LONG KHANH.

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #51 on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:54 am »
Welcome to 21st Century business practices.

Doesn't mean we have to like them Bobby... ;)
I would hope you would not,  and people speak up about it before it is too late.

And therein lies the problem, everyone complains and NO ONE speaks up, well almost no one... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline Vicman

• Enthusiast
« Reply #52 on: June 23, 2014, 10:49:40 am »

Do you run a shop?

Kinda.
PM me if you are serious. ;)
Fluent in three languages, English, sarcasm, and profanity.

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2014, 08:46:29 pm »

Do you run a shop?

Kinda.

Thanks Vicman. We will be here in St. Louis for a few more years. Our son graduates in 2017. His school is one of the best and we love it. Not going anywhere until he's finished.

Offline Spanner 1

• Old Timer
  • CB 750 K0 ( always thought it was a K1!) + CB750K8
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2014, 10:27:06 pm »
Hey vfourfreak, I know EXACTLY where the 'Gravedigger' pub is.... and all me ancestors are buried in that graveyard !
If your sure it's a carb problem; it's ignition,
If your sure it's an ignition problem; it's carbs....

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2014, 11:27:15 pm »

Do you run a shop?

Kinda.

Thanks Vicman. We will be here in St. Louis for a few more years. Our son graduates in 2017. His school is one of the best and we love it. Not going anywhere until he's finished.

WHAT?and ive been keeping beer cold here for you ready!

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #56 on: June 24, 2014, 03:20:19 am »

Do you run a shop?

Kinda.

WHAT?and ive been keeping beer cold here for you ready!

Sorry Dave. I'm sure it won't go to waste.

Offline vfourfreak

• Do you think that's wise
  • Master
« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2014, 09:42:16 am »

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2014, 06:54:55 pm »
   I have friends who where teachers overseas...one couple did this for 30 years returning to the U.S. for 6 weeks each summer.  They usually stayed in each country from 2-6 years.  I know at least 6 people who have done this for short and long term...it's quite common.
    My feeling is if you are thinking of relocating do it now.  The economy is getting back on it's feet so jobs should be easier to come by...in another 5 years who knows...might be another downturn.  You will be older...once you are pushing 50 good luck finding a job.  And people just get less adventurous as they get older so it's easier to stay put.  If you use the kids schooling as a reason then when that's done there will be the elderly parents, etc.  You will be that much older living some place you really don't like.  Why wait? Isn't life short enough already?  Children often change schools and survive, but if they are eaten by wolves think of the money you will save on college. ;)  Not having kids myself I sometime think that people sometimes sacrifice way too much just so they don't inconvenience their kids.  It's your life too. 
    It would be easier to stay here in the U.S. and there are many places you could find that would be what you are looking for.  Like others have said getting work and immigration papers can be difficult depending on job skills and what country you are looking at.  Plus have you been to any of these countries you are thinking about.  You should have some first hand knowledge.  You can always save that part for retirement which many Americans do to lower their cost of living (depending on the country of course).  Most countries welcome American retirees but you usually have to show a certain amount of monthly income or have a certain amount of assets.  Usually several hundred thousand dollars or $1500-3000 in monthly income.

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2014, 07:00:09 pm »

Do you run a shop?

Kinda.

So you have an idea/fantasy rather than a need? 

But we were boys, and boys will be boys, and so they will. To us, everything was dangerous, but what of that? Had we not been made to live forever?

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #60 on: June 24, 2014, 09:09:37 pm »

Do you run a shop?

Kinda.

I don't really understand your question. No I am not fleeing the country for some any reason :o. I guess if you want to call it an idea/fantasy that's fine. Whatever fits your idea/fantasy. I stated my position in my first post on the subject. My wife and I want to leave missouri after our son graduates high school. One thought is to leave the country entirely. What's not to get?

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #61 on: June 24, 2014, 09:21:11 pm »
   I have friends who where teachers overseas...one couple did this for 30 years returning to the U.S. for 6 weeks each summer.  They usually stayed in each country from 2-6 years.  I know at least 6 people who have done this for short and long term...it's quite common.
    My feeling is if you are thinking of relocating do it now.  The economy is getting back on it's feet so jobs should be easier to come by...in another 5 years who knows...might be another downturn.  You will be older...once you are pushing 50 good luck finding a job.  And people just get less adventurous as they get older so it's easier to stay put.  If you use the kids schooling as a reason then when that's done there will be the elderly parents, etc.  You will be that much older living some place you really don't like.  Why wait? Isn't life short enough already?  Children often change schools and survive, but if they are eaten by wolves think of the money you will save on college. ;)  Not having kids myself I sometime think that people sometimes sacrifice way too much just so they don't inconvenience their kids.  It's your life too. 
    It would be easier to stay here in the U.S. and there are many places you could find that would be what you are looking for.  Like others have said getting work and immigration papers can be difficult depending on job skills and what country you are looking at.  Plus have you been to any of these countries you are thinking about.  You should have some first hand knowledge.  You can always save that part for retirement which many Americans do to lower their cost of living (depending on the country of course).  Most countries welcome American retirees but you usually have to show a certain amount of monthly income or have a certain amount of assets.  Usually several hundred thousand dollars or $1500-3000 in monthly income.

Well, he only has three years of high school left and it is a great nationally ranked school, so, we are willing to wait it out. Our situation is not desperate and we will be just fine and survive anywhere, just a desire to live somewhere that we can be proud to call home and live a good life. Another state, a different country? Not sure yet.  With just a 401k and not a pension and the constant threat of gutting social security, I'm not sure we will ever retire. We certainly won't be retiring to another country.

My brother and sister both live in the small town where we grew up about an hour south of here and just a few minutes from my parents. My parents are in their late 60's and my dad's pension affords them a comfortable life. My dad has terminal prostate cancer and won't see his elderly days. My mom will eventually move in with my brother or sister. They both have large homes with plenty of space.

We are both 39 and have plenty of adventure left in us. We are busily trying to save money to make our move as painless as possible. We hope to have enough saved to eventually pay cash for a small home wherever it is we happen to settle or possible build a tiny house. Debt free. We don't really want things...we want to do things.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2014, 03:54:04 am by JeffSTL »

Offline BobbyR

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2014, 06:52:02 am »

Do you run a shop?

Kinda.

I don't really understand your question. No I am not fleeing the country for some any reason :o. I guess if you want to call it an idea/fantasy that's fine. Whatever fits your idea/fantasy. I stated my position in my first post on the subject. My wife and I want to leave missouri after our son graduates high school. One thought is to leave the country entirely. What's not to get?

I aploogize your posts seemed more immediate. You have two years to do your research which is a good thing.  We are nearing retirement and we have gone though the same exercise.  Sorry to hear about your Father. I supposedly beat Prostate Cancer, but there is a hint in some tests it is trying to return.

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2014, 07:31:18 am »
......The economy is getting back on it's feet so jobs should be easier to come by...in another 5 years who knows...might be another downturn......
Not going to have to wait 5 years.....

USA TODAY  - ‎49 minutes ago‎
Economy shrank 2.9% in 1Q, worst drop since '09
The U.S. economy turned in its worst quarter in five years during the first three months of 2014, shrinking more sharply than previously estimated. :-[ :-[ :-[

Offline Operator

• Someday I will live up to being a
  • Expert
« Reply #64 on: June 25, 2014, 08:05:04 am »
Jeff,

As a Canadian I can give you this broad overview and my personal opinions about the varying parts of Canada.

BC (West Coast) - Housing fuel and groceries are grossly overpriced but is offset with a winter more resembling late fall in the rest of the country. Lots of rain but you probably won't need a snowblower.

Alberta - Manitoba (Pariries) - If you are against supporting the oil industry, stay out of Alberta, if you don't mind getting rich off of poisoning the earth, jump right in there is lots of work but cost of living is rising fast to reflect the average income level. Saskatchewan - I've never been so I am in no place to comment. Manitoba, high unemployment rates and there is a reason they nicknamed Winnipeg "Winterpeg". As with the rest of the prairies...buy a snowblower.

Ontario - I am biased as Toronto is my hometown. If you dont mind a commute, you can find affordable homes surrounding the major cities. If you want to work, you will find it, Particularly in areas along Lake Ontario/Lake Erie in the southern part of the province (between Toronto and Kingston). If you like the great outdoors go north from anywhere, you will find it in an hour or so. Summers are hot and a little humid, snowblower is optional depending on your fitness level. If you go north of hwy 17, buy a snowblower.

Quebec - You are extremely limited if you don't speak French. I fuel up before I hit the provincial line so I don't have to stop on the way through it. I will say however that Quebec City is the closest I have ever seen to an old European city outside of Europe proper, and if you like to party, don't miss St Catherine St in Montreal. You could get by in the cities but if you want to live in the outskirts, french is pretty much essential. Weather is on par with Ontario.

Maritime Provinces - I have travelled all over and will probably retire in the maritimes. Sea air, hot summers and winters that get lots of snow but not bitterly cold like the prairies. I currently live in Bathurst in northern New Brunswick (Acadian Peninsula) so I'll start there. The pace of life in the maritimes is much slower than Ontarion or Quebec, lots of great hunting and fishing. Very bilingual here, so much that the local dialect is a mish mash of french and english which works for me. If I can't think of the word in french I just throw in the english word and keep going. Nobody seems to mind. Not much for work here but housing is cheap! You can get a split level (2400 sq ft for around 125,000)  if you go further into the southern part of the province there are a lot of opportunites. Fredericton is growing fast and housing is a bit higher but as soon as your out of the city it is very affordable. It also has some nice pubs. Same goes for Halifax, Nova Scotia. Nice city but getting in and out of the city is a horrid commute based around 2 bridges. Lots of nightlife due to the universities and a lot of nice UK type pubs. Never lived in or around PEI or Newfoundland but have travelled through both. Newfoundland has some of the nicest people on the planet but employment may be an issue. No matter where you go in the Maritimes you can pretty much find seasonal work in the fishing industry but it's up and down based on the year. As for PEI, only ever been as a tourist, beautiful place but can't provide much info on life there.

Hope this helps, and I am sure a few of my fellow Canadians will chime in with their 2 cents....especially after the Alberta comments. Good luck in your future wherever you end up!!

Go Easy,

Operator (Jason)
If ever there was a creator of bastard sons, it is the open road, for she has claimed so many young men yearning for freedom......

1973 CB750 K3
1976 CB400F (Cafe Project)
1979 Yamaha XS400 (Currently up for Sale)

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #65 on: June 25, 2014, 02:35:48 pm »

Do you run a shop?

Kinda.

I aploogize your posts seemed more immediate. You have two years to do your research which is a good thing.  We are nearing retirement and we have gone though the same exercise.  Sorry to hear about your Father. I supposedly beat Prostate Cancer, but there is a hint in some tests it is trying to return.

No worries. My dad is not experiencing any ill effects, yet. He is playing golf with his buddies and enjoying life. Hope all works out for you. Damn the cancer.

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #66 on: June 25, 2014, 02:40:30 pm »
Jeff,

As a Canadian I can give you this broad overview and my personal opinions about the varying parts of Canada.

BC (West Coast) - Housing fuel and groceries are grossly overpriced but is offset with a winter more resembling late fall in the rest of the country. Lots of rain but you probably won't need a snowblower.

Alberta - Manitoba (Pariries) - If you are against supporting the oil industry, stay out of Alberta, if you don't mind getting rich off of poisoning the earth, jump right in there is lots of work but cost of living is rising fast to reflect the average income level. Saskatchewan - I've never been so I am in no place to comment. Manitoba, high unemployment rates and there is a reason they nicknamed Winnipeg "Winterpeg". As with the rest of the prairies...buy a snowblower.

Ontario - I am biased as Toronto is my hometown. If you dont mind a commute, you can find affordable homes surrounding the major cities. If you want to work, you will find it, Particularly in areas along Lake Ontario/Lake Erie in the southern part of the province (between Toronto and Kingston). If you like the great outdoors go north from anywhere, you will find it in an hour or so. Summers are hot and a little humid, snowblower is optional depending on your fitness level. If you go north of hwy 17, buy a snowblower.

Quebec - You are extremely limited if you don't speak French. I fuel up before I hit the provincial line so I don't have to stop on the way through it. I will say however that Quebec City is the closest I have ever seen to an old European city outside of Europe proper, and if you like to party, don't miss St Catherine St in Montreal. You could get by in the cities but if you want to live in the outskirts, french is pretty much essential. Weather is on par with Ontario.

Maritime Provinces - I have travelled all over and will probably retire in the maritimes. Sea air, hot summers and winters that get lots of snow but not bitterly cold like the prairies. I currently live in Bathurst in northern New Brunswick (Acadian Peninsula) so I'll start there. The pace of life in the maritimes is much slower than Ontarion or Quebec, lots of great hunting and fishing. Very bilingual here, so much that the local dialect is a mish mash of french and english which works for me. If I can't think of the word in french I just throw in the english word and keep going. Nobody seems to mind. Not much for work here but housing is cheap! You can get a split level (2400 sq ft for around 125,000)  if you go further into the southern part of the province there are a lot of opportunites. Fredericton is growing fast and housing is a bit higher but as soon as your out of the city it is very affordable. It also has some nice pubs. Same goes for Halifax, Nova Scotia. Nice city but getting in and out of the city is a horrid commute based around 2 bridges. Lots of nightlife due to the universities and a lot of nice UK type pubs. Never lived in or around PEI or Newfoundland but have travelled through both. Newfoundland has some of the nicest people on the planet but employment may be an issue. No matter where you go in the Maritimes you can pretty much find seasonal work in the fishing industry but it's up and down based on the year. As for PEI, only ever been as a tourist, beautiful place but can't provide much info on life there.

Hope this helps, and I am sure a few of my fellow Canadians will chime in with their 2 cents....especially after the Alberta comments. Good luck in your future wherever you end up!!

Go Easy,

Operator (Jason)

Thanks for sharing Jason! I've seen tar sands pics, Christ! What a disaster! A paycheck is nice, but I sure don't want to be a part of that.

Offline OldSchool_IsCool

• Really feeling like an
  • Old Timer
  • WARNING: Objects in mirror appear to be LOSING!
« Reply #67 on: June 25, 2014, 06:04:14 pm »
My youngest daughter has taught for a year in France and is now half way thru a two year stint in Japan. She loves it! 

A friend at work said "Japan is about as far away from home as she could get, why did she go there?"  I said "Because the moon base isn't finished yet!" ;D ;D
Can I have a motorcycle when I get old enough?
If you take care of it.
What do you have to do?
Lot’s of things. You’ve been watching me.
Will you show me all of them?
Sure.
Is it hard?
Not if you have the right attitudes. It’s having the right attitudes that’s hard.

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2014, 06:02:09 am »
Be a trendsetter and move to Mexico. GDP is in the top 15 worldwide. I think it is in desperate need of progressive altruism.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline BeSeeingYou

• Old Timer
« Reply #69 on: July 02, 2014, 05:08:13 pm »

Well, he only has three years of high school left and it is a great nationally ranked school, so, we are willing to wait it out. Our situation is not desperate and we will be just fine and survive anywhere, just a desire to live somewhere that we can be proud to call home and live a good life. Another state, a different country? Not sure yet.  With just a 401k and not a pension and the constant threat of gutting social security, I'm not sure we will ever retire. We certainly won't be retiring to another country.

My brother and sister both live in the small town where we grew up about an hour south of here and just a few minutes from my parents. My parents are in their late 60's and my dad's pension affords them a comfortable life. My dad has terminal prostate cancer and won't see his elderly days. My mom will eventually move in with my brother or sister. They both have large homes with plenty of space.

We are both 39 and have plenty of adventure left in us. We are busily trying to save money to make our move as painless as possible. We hope to have enough saved to eventually pay cash for a small home wherever it is we happen to settle or possible build a tiny house. Debt free. We don't really want things...we want to do things.

Pension?......I think my parents had one of those. ;D

Something to think about as far as the house buying.  This is my way of thinking so your experience may vary.  With mortgage interest rates in the 4% range I would not pay cash for a house but invest the money.  From my personal experience money wisely invested should average a 6-10 percent yearly return over a 10 year span.  That has been my experience over a 30 year span in the investment market.   The tax advantage of a mortgage may or may not help you depending on how you take your deductions but it saved us $100 a month at the time.
      When we bought our house in the mid 1980's interest rates where 9% and we thought that was good. :o  Since I could not beat that on average in the market we put extra money into the house and payed off the 30 year mortgage in 15.  I am buying a new car for my wife and even though I can pay cash I will finance it for next to nothing and invest the money for a better return.  Since the house is something in the future you have to take into consideration interest rates and market conditions at the time but it is something to think over.
    Another thing you can do with this nest egg  as opposed to being tied up in the house is to fund your own IRA's and gain the tax deduction.   Don't rely on just your 401 k at work.  We would funnel all our capital gains and dividend income into our IRA's and with the tax deduction it would offset any tax on the gain and then some.  The tax rules are set up to benefit people with money and once you have some and use it properly it starts to add up.  You won't get rich on your wages. ;D
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 10:55:19 am by srust58 »

Offline vfourfreak

• Do you think that's wise
  • Master
« Reply #70 on: July 03, 2014, 05:52:22 am »
Excellent advice. For free !!!

Kev