Author Topic: CB750 K6 - Step Step 12 - Now into some tweaking to get it right  (Read 55787 times)

Offline oldhatt45

• The person called in at the last minute to share the blame is the...
  • Expert
  • Just an Old Guy that's gone to the Dogs
Re: CB750 K6 - Step Step 12 - Now into some tweaking to get it right
« Reply #425 on: October 16, 2015, 06:30:52 pm »
I'm going to reply backwards.  (Hey I do a lot of stuff backwards so what the heck.  LOL)

seanbarney41,
Yup, they do.  :)  Before the 28+ year nap, I was running the S&W progressive rate springs (which had spring rates of 28/48), the Vetter and 30Wt BelRay and the original Honda fork seals.
The "New Configuration" with the Progressive brand progressive rate springs (spring rates 35/55), 1.5 inch pvc pre-load spacer, Vetter and 30Wt BelRay fork oil.

There is a 7 lb difference, (stiffer) in the spring rate, which I did not think would make that big a difference in the stiffness of the front end, but it did.  The 10Wt BelRay fork oil brought the front end back to a really nice firmness and is very responsive in my limited riding so far.

I would guess that (at least in my case) if I took the Vetter off, I might be OK, but might want to go up to 15 or 20 Wt.  Don't forget, the Vetter mounting bracket weighs a few pounds as well.  Also, I carry a bunch of stuff inside the Vetter, like spare tubes, extra headlight bulb, Tire Irons, spare master link for chain, etc.

When you get to follow through on your plans, don't be surprised if you need to change fork oil weight.  :)  And I need another Vetter for my next project (1976 GL1000), so before you walk another one out to the dumpster, let me know!!!!!  Would be really interested in a Vetter SS or similar with the leading edge turn signal lights.  :)

Rafi,
I ordered a set of the Daido pads!  Thanks!  Hopefully that will cure the squeal.  My original pads didn't do it, but at $88.00 for a set of original pads, I'll live with a little squeal every now and then.  LOL
As far as the fork oil goes, I don't believe the BelRay is a synthetic.  I could be wrong and I've been wrong before and will be again, but the BelRay has always been good for me.  :)   And you're about 10 lbs of buffet more than me.  Hahahaha

Stev-o,
Your RD350 is probably newer and doesn't use the same type of damping valving that the 750 uses???????  Honda did stuff that nobody had ever done at that time, so it's not surprising to me that Yamaha specs motor oil.  I hate to say it, but I guess I am a creature of habit.  When I find something that works, I like to stick with it until I get convinced to change.  :)  :)  If I see the fork seals starting to weap, then I'll probably make a change, but until then I'll stick with what I know used to work for me.  But, I did change from 30Wt to 10Wt so I'm not totally inflexible.  LOL  :)  :)

70CB750,
I generally agree with Hondaman and value his opinion on all things Honda (that's why they call him Hondaman.  :)  :)  )
But most of the Honda's he works on have unknown maintenance logs, unknown usage, etc.  So, to be safe and provide a quality product and service, he needs to use something that he knows WILL work and not come back in 6 months with a complaint.  In my case, I do know the maintenance and usage, etc.  So, will I keep his information in mind?  You Betcha!!!!  If I have trouble, I can change out my fork seals and make a change in fork oil.  I've learned a lot from the guys (& gals) on this forum and have alternatives in my notes that I can explore if and when I need to. 

All,
This has been the best discussion from a learning perspective for me.  And I thank each and every one of you. 

I just received my new RJ Platinum Helmet to replace my 40+ year old Shoei helmet.  So I will have to go try it out tomorrow.
Maybe take a ride to the Hook (Sandy Hook, NJ).  :)  :)

Charlie

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #426 on: October 16, 2015, 06:57:26 pm »
Charlie - it's a '73 RD350 two-smoke....

very fun to ride

'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #427 on: October 16, 2015, 07:02:11 pm »
Stev-o,

And that just shows you how much I know about non Honda's.  LOL  :)  :) 
But seriously, that does look like a fun bike!!!! 
And I still don't know why Yamaha spec Motor Oil for the forks.  :)  :)  :)

Charlie

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #428 on: October 16, 2015, 09:01:57 pm »

very fun to ride

Those bikes are ROCKETS! I almost lost it on one once: the customer brought it in, complaining that "the clutch slips" (and he wanted me to work on it, not the Yamaha shop 1/2 mile up the road). I took it out to see, and it wasn't the clutch that slipped: it was the bald rear tire! It went sideways under me and almost flipped me in a hard 2nd-gear clutch dump test. A new tire sent him smiling down the road: he called himself "The happy Yamaha owner".
(Sorry for the hijack!)
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #429 on: October 16, 2015, 11:28:34 pm »
Vetter ss with the leading edge turn signals is the one I like too
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #430 on: October 17, 2015, 04:53:33 am »
Mark,

Always like hearing from you!!!!! 
Hijack when ever you want to.  :)  :)  :)

Sounds like the RD350 was in the same category with the Suzuki X6 Hustler!  :) :)

Charlie

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #431 on: October 17, 2015, 06:34:08 am »

very fun to ride

Those bikes are ROCKETS! I almost lost it on one once: the customer brought it in, complaining that "the clutch slips" (and he wanted me to work on it, not the Yamaha shop 1/2 mile up the road). I took it out to see, and it wasn't the clutch that slipped: it was the bald rear tire! It went sideways under me and almost flipped me in a hard 2nd-gear clutch dump test. A new tire sent him smiling down the road: he called himself "The happy Yamaha owner".
(Sorry for the hijack!)

Funny story, HM!   My buddy had one years ago and I took it for a ride. I power shifted into 2nd, front wheel came up and I nearly lost it!  Had no idea a 350 could be so quick.

Charlie - the X6 Hustler was my first motorcycle.  Wish I still had it.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #432 on: October 17, 2015, 06:45:49 am »
Stev-o,

When I first saw the X6, my buddy had his girl friend on it with him, and pulled a wheelie in 4th or 5th gear. 
Neither of them thought anything of it.  :)  :)
That was a cool little bike.  As I remember it, supposedly it had the highest horsepower to weight ratio of any bike of it's time.
Don't know how true that is, but my first ride (at the suggestion of my buddy) was to start the bike in second gear.  LOL
Was good advice at that time!!!!!  LOL

I think it's amazing that we did so many (possibly foolish) things and have lived to tell the tales.  :)  :)  :)

Charlie
Who is going to get the day going.  :)

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #433 on: October 26, 2015, 02:59:58 pm »
For the last few days, in addition to getting out for a couple of short rides, I've been working on putting together a schematic for the Relay Modifications as suggested by Hondaman.  I started off by trying to do it in AutoCAD and a couple of other "CAD" type drawing programs.  I wasn't happy with the results of any of those tools.  Was too hard for me to modify and get reasonable symbols.  So, I resorted to a Trial version of Visio.  At least I was able to do what I wanted to do without too much anguish and the need for talking to Gentleman Jack too often.  LOL

So, here it is.  I have 58 days left to make any modifications, changes, etc.  I am attaching the PDF Format to this post.  If you have any comments, questions, suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them.  And Yes, if requested, I could do a version for other 750 models if you send me the schematic of the model you have (or want a diagram for).  But I only have 58 days left on the trial version, so speak up quickly.  If you want the Visio 2013 version, just pm me and provide a private email address and I'll send it along.

I did this for a couple of reasons.  If I ever sell the bike, the diagram goes to the next owner (or my grandson :)  ).  If I ever need to figure out what the heck I did, I have a reference.

Enjoy,

Charlie
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:28:56 pm by oldhatt45 »

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #434 on: November 01, 2015, 06:22:16 pm »
Today I finished up my Electrical Modifications per Hondaman's information.

Added total of 5 relays:  4 of them are 4 terminal relays NAPA AR614.  The 5th Relay is a 5 terminal relay NAPA AR606.
Hi Beam Headlight Relay
Lo Beam Headlight Relay  -  Added separate power feed using new 7.5 amp Fuse

Key Switch Relay - New separate Wire from 15 amp Main Fuse to the contacts for supplying power to the coils.

Start Button relay -  Make sure power comes from a Switched Supply in Bucket.  This is the only 5 contact relay a NAPA AR606.

Off-Run-Off Relay - Power to Coils is from the Key Switch Relay Contacts, which is a new wire from the 15 amp Main Fuse.

Also added the Hondaman Transistorized Ignition.  Mounted it behind the Battery tray and for now have it tie wrapped to the battery tray.  Will make a more permanent mounting for it over the winter.  Started it up in the garage and it sounds a bit smoother, but that may be my imagination.  Install was easy and the Directions were excellent.

Marked all the Relays using my P-Touch so I wouldn't forget which one is which.  :) 

And Yes it did happen.  :) 
But I didn't get out for a ride to test everything on the road.  Plan on doing the test ride tomorrow if the weather is reasonable.

Charlie
« Last Edit: November 01, 2015, 06:29:44 pm by oldhatt45 »

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #435 on: November 01, 2015, 07:53:22 pm »
Stev-o,

When I first saw the X6, my buddy had his girl friend on it with him, and pulled a wheelie in 4th or 5th gear. 
Neither of them thought anything of it.  :)  :)
That was a cool little bike.  As I remember it, supposedly it had the highest horsepower to weight ratio of any bike of it's time.
Don't know how true that is, but my first ride (at the suggestion of my buddy) was to start the bike in second gear.  LOL
Was good advice at that time!!!!!  LOL

I think it's amazing that we did so many (possibly foolish) things and have lived to tell the tales.  :)  :)  :)

Charlie
Who is going to get the day going.  :)

Yeah, our shop sold and serviced LOTS of the X6 Hustler. It was a 250cc, 6-speed, 2-stroker with rotary valves and 2 carbs (that were hard to clean) and 2 pipes: what a streak it was! With 2 aboard, it could pull the front wheel in all but 6th gear. With 1 aboard it could in 1, 2, and 3rd gear. The RD350 was a bit quicker head-to-head, but it had 100cc more and only weighed 20 lbs. more than the X6. Both were often seen racing the CB750 on Saturday nites: if the Four rider wasn't quick on the clutch, they could take him!
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #436 on: October 05, 2021, 02:53:59 am »
Well Charlie this has been a good read. It's been a few years since you updated it. Still riding it?
I'm collecting parts for my K6 motor build this winter.
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #437 on: October 05, 2021, 08:15:52 am »
It's been a few years since you updated it.

Unfortunately, Charlie has not been around here in over 3 years, hope he is well.

Last Active: January 07, 2018, 04:03:02 pm

Offline newday777

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Avatar is my 76 K6 in Colorado w/Cody on back 1980
« Reply #438 on: October 05, 2021, 10:03:02 am »
I saw that Steve
Stu
Honda Parts manager in the mid 1970s Nashua Honda
My current rides
1975 K5 Planet Blue my summer ride, it was a friend's bike I worked with at the Honda shop in 76, lots of fun to be on it again
1976 K6 Anteres Red rebuilding project, was originally my brother's that I set up from the crate, it'll breath again soon!
Project 750s, 2 K4, 2 K6, 1 K8
2008 GL1800 my daily ride and cross country runner

Prior bikes....
1972 Suzuki GT380 I had charge of it for a year in 1973 while my friend was deployed and learned to love street riding....
New CB450 K7 after my friend returned...
New CB750 K5 Planet Blue, demise by ex cousin in law at 9,000 miles...
New CB750 K6 Anteres Red, to replace the totaled K5, I sold this K6 at 45k in 1983, I had heavily modified it, many great memories on it and have missed it greatly.....
1983 GL1100A, 1999 GL1500 SE, 1999 GL1500A