Author Topic: Sam Green Recovery Fund  (Read 32965 times)

Offline LArzFroMArz

• Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...
  • Enthusiast
Re: Sam Green Recovery Fund
« Reply #225 on: July 03, 2014, 04:21:47 pm »
I'm not posting much or often here (Bill does a good job and you don't need to hear it twice) but I run the Facebook page dedicated to the effort, https://www.facebook.com/samsrecovery.
The group here is very special and Keith's stepping up like this just continues to prove it.
Thank You to everyone who does what they can...life can be hard for all of us, and pulling together and lifting each other up makes it just a bit easier!

A special Thanks to KMB and everyone who participates in Keith's generous offer! Stay safe this holiday weekend!

Larry 8)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 09:13:54 am by LArzFroMArz »
Visit me @ KaizenVintageMoto on Facebook

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #226 on: July 03, 2014, 07:37:02 pm »
While I can't quite match the generosity of Keith, I dropped the price of the web cam 41-a I'm selling here http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=136698.0

I sent a $100 earlier, and another $50 will be on the way as soon as this one sells.

Offline sorcerer

• Hot Shot
« Reply #227 on: July 03, 2014, 07:54:26 pm »

Please help....and look cool doing so!

Everyone donating at least $25 dollars to the Sam Green recovery fund will receive a t- shirt like the one Sam is wearing below. The fund administrator just needs to send me a name, address, size and color white or black and RC Legacy will send you a shirt.....may take a bit to get to you as I am low on stock but we will be printing again in 3 weeks ....you bigger folks may get lucky...have stock.

When Sam is again hoisting one as below he can tell me to stop. (I'll need proof by photo of course).

For all you UK contributors....I will be sending a Box to Jonathan with the money to get them distributed there , rather than one at a time...whew ...is that pricey...plus this gives us time to print some of the off sizes and colors....thanks for your patience!

Jr

samgreenrecoveryfund@outlook.com

Please help....and look cool doing so! Everyone donating at least $25 dollars to the Sam Green recovery fund will receive a t- shirt like the one Sam is wearing below. The fund administrator just needs to send me a name, address, size and color white or black and RC Legacy will send you a shirt.....may take a bit to get to you as I am low on stock but we will be printing again in 3 weeks ....you bigger folks may get lucky...have stock. When Sam is again hoisting one as below he can tell me to stop. (I'll need proof by photo of course).

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #228 on: July 04, 2014, 09:08:34 am »
You got me Keith...in for 50.00 more dollars. ;)
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #229 on: July 04, 2014, 11:04:03 am »
Yep, and Larry Hayes sent $$$ and Scottly, and anonymous donations have come in also, some quite surprising! K. I'm compiling a list for Russ and will get with him tonight. Thanks to all, Mike,....you said it, for a cheeky Texas monkey...that Keith's  alright! ;D 8) Haha, Bill
Cal on the way to visit Sam now! 8)
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Hon3ybadger

• Enthusiast
  • Someday it will run...
« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2014, 12:53:46 pm »
Did Sam do a burn out before the run at all? From the video he doesn't but bill does.

Bills launch clearly lays down fresh hot rubber. And there is a slight bounce from bills rear tire meaning hot tire and sticky ground. Sams launch spins the tire also but no rubber trail is seen left and no tire hop, almost like spinning tires on ice.

My theory is looking only at one variable contributing to the incident. But if he rode over wet pre-staging area, didn't warm the tire up, and did a run on a cold tire, with high tire pressure. That condition could make the tire more prone to traction loss compared to a warm lower pressured tire.

Now add say a "fuel leak" as mentioned in the picture of the rear tire and that cold over inflated tire stands less of a chance at maintaining traction than it had before.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match here. I work in law enforcement and more often than not big problems boil down to tiny variables. Put all those tiny variables together and you have a big problem.     

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #231 on: July 04, 2014, 03:49:52 pm »
Did Sam do a burn out before the run at all? From the video he doesn't but bill does.

Bills launch clearly lays down fresh hot rubber. And there is a slight bounce from bills rear tire meaning hot tire and sticky ground. Sams launch spins the tire also but no rubber trail is seen left and no tire hop, almost like spinning tires on ice.

My theory is looking only at one variable contributing to the incident. But if he rode over wet pre-staging area, didn't warm the tire up, and did a run on a cold tire, with high tire pressure. That condition could make the tire more prone to traction loss compared to a warm lower pressured tire.

Now add say a "fuel leak" as mentioned in the picture of the rear tire and that cold over inflated tire stands less of a chance at maintaining traction than it had before.

I'm not trying to start a pissing match here. I work in law enforcement and more often than not big problems boil down to tiny variables. Put all those tiny variables together and you have a big problem.     
  I agree.....it is certainly in the details (small variables can add up to big problems). That bike never does a burn out...it really isn't able to do one as it is a Honda auto. Your right about the ancient tire, high air pressure and small contact patch. There was no oil or fuel leak prior to the accident. The rider cannot remember $hit.
 Anyway...there were other details too (which I don't want to get into) but we decided to drop the blame game. In this case all parties involved thought that it was the best to leave it as it lies considering Sam lived and is currently doing well. ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2014, 04:27:34 pm by MRieck »

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #232 on: July 04, 2014, 07:26:02 pm »
I will match every individual $50 donation made in the next 48 hours, deadline 7/5/2014 11:00 CST, dollar for dollar. You give $50, I give $50.

Hey Keith, you won't match anything less than $50? If I were you I'd set an upper limit, rather than a lower limit! ;D
Thanks
OK folks, the clock is ticking! Make those pledges!!!! 8)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline knowsnothing

• Hot Shot
« Reply #233 on: July 05, 2014, 05:36:02 am »
Another 50 is on its way.  Get well Sam.

- Treeve
1978 CB750k Green - 811 engine
1978 CB750k Blue - for sale
1974 CB375F Faded Black - had to have that 6th gear
1976 CB400F Red - in many pieces
1973 CB350F TBD - in many pieces

Offline LArzFroMArz

• Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #234 on: July 05, 2014, 11:07:34 am »
As requested
JT Norton at it again
Visit me @ KaizenVintageMoto on Facebook

Offline jweeks

• Hot Shot
« Reply #235 on: July 05, 2014, 12:03:36 pm »

"That bike never does a burn out...it really isn't able to do one as it is a Honda auto. " All modified Hondamatics can do a burn out. There's no reason for Sam's bike to do one. He didn't need a stickier tire for the ET's that it ran. I'll post a video to put this one to bed.

Offline kmb69

• Master
« Reply #236 on: July 05, 2014, 04:56:52 pm »
I do not have any T-shirts to hand out but I will match every individual $50 donation made in the next 48 hours, deadline 7/5/2014 11:00 CST, dollar for dollar. You give $50, I give $50.

Way to go guys!  :D :D :D
If my math is correct, $400.00  ;D ;D ;D

A really BIG THANKS goes out to all that participated. You know who you are, you are special people, and thanks again.

Scottly, You may be right. I was trying to push for BIGGER BUCKS! I guess we'll just have to push it up a bit in case I got that wrong.  ;D ;D ;D

Donation on it's way.

Sammy, sounds like you are making excellent progress. Keep it up, Dude! Hope to see ya again soon.
PS. Sherri says tell Sam, "Hi and to recover 100% real soon!"

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2014, 06:29:29 pm »
Started working on Samauto last night. Still don't see anything, lots of little things, but when bike blows a main fuse, it'll just coast to a stop. Still think that happened. My belief unless Sam tells me different, is track was OK, but extra tacky from fresh VHT, tire pressure high, cold tire front and rear, moisture from waterbox, less contact area with high tire pressures. I believe run was normal, fuse blew, Sam sat up, realized he wouldn't make it to end of track, started to lean right to park...and hit the front brake like normal. The things mentioned caused it to lock, even the best can't always save it! The front brake on Samauto has no free play. Still doesn't! My new one from PMR/ Magura same way, makes contact with piston, just no pressure. Contact ok, pressure not, ask me how I know? Had to fix a bike the owner crashed and my head tech, cause lever was pushing piston ever so slightly. Could ride a couple miles before it would start to lock up.So when you squeeze brake lever on Samauto that brake can turn that rotor red quick. Ask JimF he saw when we practiced early on! So I think he squeezed like normal, but cold tire, less contact area,maybe moist, stickier than normal track, watch video, I got my air shifter working, go to put left foot down, it don't want to move! So put it on peg! Jeff Sutton said he came out of his boots at Norwalk and it caused him to crash, ran over his own foot! Sam blew a fuse crossing finish line last year...bike will just coast to a stop. Guys, just like you can crank in gear, and can do a burnout, there's lots we still learning about these bikes, not like our K's and F's.So I think when he touched brake it locked cause of the little variables mentioned.
Track was found no fluids, bike had no oil or fuel leaks, HotRodChrissy's photos show track worker being pushed back riding Samauto immediately after accident. Think you can eliminate mechanical failure, did have an electrical one. Sam's already told me he never touched rear brake. Anyway I'm working on it. Samauto will run 11's next time out! No blame game, and lots of variables but this is my .02 as of now! Thanks to all who have contributed in any way. Comments ok, if you like, just keep them objective. I use Dot5 fluid in Samauto and Calendar Girl, sometimes people still wary of it...kinda like an oil thread! But plans are to install new master cylinder and new low lighter wt rear tire, looking now, maybe hook up MSD box,got ceramic front bearings, also got an 333 advancer
(check the specs) more advance , might experiment with! This bikes a long way from being sorted completely...are they ever, but we going to still make Sam proud. I still need and want your help, the fellow team members have my upmost respect. Please comment here or PM, thanks and GodBless you all, Bill ;D
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #238 on: July 05, 2014, 06:58:53 pm »

Scottly, You may be right. I was trying to push for BIGGER BUCKS! I guess we'll just have to push it up a bit in case I got that wrong.  ;D ;D ;D
Hey, two $25 donations would have been the same as one $50 donation. Just because some folks don't drink as much beer as I do doesn't mean their contributions don't count. ;) ;D ;D

PS Guys, please remember that the purpose of this thread is to raise some coin for Sam. Discussions concerning the accident and bike would be better placed in the original Samauto thread. ;)   
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #239 on: July 05, 2014, 07:22:16 pm »
Main thing is Sam be ok and raise funds, I got a few donations in mailbox, those count? And if someone sent $150.00, can that be matched? Scottly, probably so, but video etc in this thread I think, page 4, still pics, slow mo etc. It's all about Sam and trying to prevent a repeat no matter who's riding! As the responsible one, tuner etc. I still want to know, I realize that won't happen without Sam's recall, so may never know, but like to present as much relevant info as possible. Anyway I'm going forward big time! Just saw that Calendar Girl's head gasket leaking oil. So probably be running Samauto in Valdosta. Gotta build a engine for CG now! Always sumpin! ;D Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #240 on: July 06, 2014, 04:54:31 pm »
Do we need a stand in moderator while Sammy's laid up?
I was thinking the "For Sale" section for his recovery fund needs to stickied in the hypo forum and we probably need some coordination with the other sections.
Even if Sam was up to it, we can't expect him to coordinate his own recovery fund.

Cheers,
Brian

The older I get the faster I was.

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #241 on: July 06, 2014, 05:26:01 pm »
Agree we need to move it to H/P section. If not I can start another one. Just got off the phone with him! He's ready to get out " only good thing is the nurses"! Haha, he's getting better. Plan is to still get him Friday....go from there. Vic Force called to check on him, we had a good chat, he'll be at Commerce Friday night racing another scooter best 2 of 3, still competing and wishing Sam the best!K, Thanks all, Bill ;D
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #242 on: July 07, 2014, 06:42:31 am »
I don't mean to be nosy but what is the fund up to??

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #243 on: July 07, 2014, 07:21:20 am »
Will check with Jonathan and see. Was @ 3000 USD I think, guessing @ 5000.00 with funds I received also. Hope that and more! Need to get the For Sale switched. Bob W. can do it, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline rklystron

• I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #244 on: July 07, 2014, 11:46:16 am »
Put in $100.00. Every little bit I am sure helps. Get well quickly, we all wish you the best Sam!
1970 CB750 K0 (Bought in 73)
1972 XL250 (Bought new in 72)
1973 ST90 (Free)
1975 XL250 (Free)
1975 Rickman CR750
1982 CBX1000 Pro-link
1975 CB750 DRAG BIKE
1977 Custom Built CB750 Sturgis Bike (GL front end).
1977 CB750 F2 (Big Resto)
1977 CB750A (Auction Buy)
1978 CB750 K8 (My San Francisco ride)
1984 VFR750 (Bought New)

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #245 on: July 08, 2014, 07:06:42 am »
I don't mean to be nosy but what is the fund up to??
The fund is up to @ 7000.00 USD! Way to go people, please continue, bills are and will be coming in for a long time! Just spoke with Jonathan, Sam to be with me here in Atlanta for a couple weeks, then Jonathan and another going to come get him for flight back to Warrington! Should arrive in Atlanta Friday evening early. Looks like Cal's going to bring him, Mercedes S500 or my 4door GMC truck....yep Benz win's out! Will keep you posted, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline bear

• Vale Bill McIntosh ......"illegitimi non carborundum"
  • Old Timer
  • Leeton in Australia
« Reply #246 on: July 09, 2014, 12:21:07 pm »
Good news Billy getting back to your place will make a difference I'm sure.

Cheers,
Brian
The older I get the faster I was.

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #247 on: July 09, 2014, 01:05:30 pm »
Visited sam this morning,he's looking a whole better now than when i first saw him.still having mental issues but otherwise looking as only sam can look

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline Doctor_D

• Hot Shot
« Reply #248 on: July 09, 2014, 05:42:29 pm »
Never had an issue send money with PP, but trying every few days and getting the same, "Sorry, there's a problem. Please try again later." error message. Tried "Send money to family or friends" and "Payment for Goods or Services" with the same result.  J. Green comes up with the email address - so incorrectly copying the email is not the issue.

Anyone else run into this?
Take care,
David

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #249 on: July 09, 2014, 05:44:07 pm »
I sent money as a friend no problem. I can log in and see if what email I sent it to.
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.