Author Topic: Is my clutch worn out?  (Read 873 times)

Offline JoeP

Is my clutch worn out?
« on: June 29, 2014, 08:13:47 pm »
76 cb550f. I have the clutch adjuster screw turned all the way in but the marks on the lever and case don't quite line up. They're close, but not exactly lined up. And with hardly any slack in the cable, when I pull the (hand) lever it feels like the clutch only partially disengages. With the bike in gear and the clutch lever pulled in, I can spin the rear wheel by hand (bike on center stand), but it takes a LOT of effort. Is this how it's supposed to be for these bikes or is something wrong with my clutch?

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: Is my clutch worn out?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 08:41:59 pm »
I had a '76 550F....great bike. How many miles are on your bike and has it sat for a long time?

The clutch should not take a lot of effort to disengage the clutch.  Have you tried lubing the cable? May be time for a new cable??
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Deltarider

• Really Old Timer ...
  • First round...
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 11:33:28 pm »
Have you tried lubing the cable?
Warning: genuine Honda cables do not like lube, they have teflon inside.
CB500K2-ED Excel black
"There is enough for everyone's need but not enough for anybody's greed."

Offline PeWe

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Bike almost back to the 70's 2015
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 12:11:21 am »
Old and bad clutch is when it disengage when it should not. Usually on higher gears and full throttle.
This look as what I have experienced this year. First year driving the bike since 1990.
My clutch can become stucked after only 1 night. I have to put 2:nd gear in and rock the bike forward-backward some times and it will be OK. Pumping the clutch lever at the same time.

In the beginning I tried to adjust it and I got slipping clutch.

I think this is caused by the oil. Hondaman started a thread about Valvoline and ZDDP.
Never had this back in the the 80's.
I'll add extra ZDDP. We have Redline Break-In Additive here. Not locally, have to order it.
CB750 K6-76  970cc (Earlier 1005cc JMR Billet block on the shelf waiting for a comeback)
CB750 K2-75 Parts assembled to a stock K2

Updates of the CB750 K6 -1976
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180468.msg2092136.html#msg2092136
The billet block build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,49438.msg1863571.html#msg1863571
CB750 K2 -1975  build thread
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,168243.msg1948381.html#msg1948381
K2 engine build thread. For a complete CB750 -75
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,180088.msg2088008.html#msg2088008
Carb jetting, a long story Mikuni TMR32
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,179479.msg2104967.html#msg2104967

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 12:54:10 am »
to adjust the clutch slacken the cable right off at both ends,then apply light upward pressure on the case lever and adjust the screw till the dots line up,then re-adjust the cable,if that doesent work your frictions are probably worn.

Offline JoeP

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 08:50:56 am »
I had a '76 550F....great bike. How many miles are on your bike and has it sat for a long time?

The clutch should not take a lot of effort to disengage the clutch.  Have you tried lubing the cable? May be time for a new cable??

Thanks! The bike has 30k miles on it and ran well enough when I bought it. Pulling the clutch lever feels smooth but my problem is I don't think the clutch is disengaging all the way judging by how hard it is to spin the rear wheel by hand while the bike is on its center stand. Shouldn't the rear wheel turn easily when the clutch lever is pulled all the way in?

Offline JoeP

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 08:53:10 am »
to adjust the clutch slacken the cable right off at both ends,then apply light upward pressure on the case lever and adjust the screw till the dots line up,then re-adjust the cable,if that doesent work your frictions are probably worn.

Yup, I did that but could not turn the adjuster screw enough so that the marks lined up. It was turned all the way in. Is it an easy job to replace the frictions? Thanks!

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 11:30:23 am »

Thanks! The bike has 30k miles on it and ran well enough when I bought it. Pulling the clutch lever feels smooth but my problem is I don't think the clutch is disengaging all the way judging by how hard it is to spin the rear wheel by hand while the bike is on its center stand. Shouldn't the rear wheel turn easily when the clutch lever is pulled all the way in?

NO. In gear with lever pulled in, still lots of drag.  HArd to get one full rev.   In neutral with lever out, much less drag, but still 1 full rev with a stout spin, is OK. 

Better to judge, does it shift smoothly when under way? Does it coast nicely when clutch pulled in at speed: ie; doesn't feel like a brake is on.

On the centerstand, in neutral, does the wheel turn from internal friction and stop turning when brake is tapped without dragging down the engine? All OK.  (DO NOT try to slow the tire by hand or foot during this test.! Tapping foot brake only.)

Does it not slip at speed and power? Probably OK.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 11:32:29 am by MCRider »
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."