Author Topic: Funeral home expense  (Read 1851 times)

Offline dhall57

• Old Timer
  • The 70's! SOHC4 Honda's & Marcia Brady of course.
Funeral home expense
« on: June 29, 2014, 04:01:57 am »
My mom is 85 in good health and still drives and takes daily walks and still able to do about anything she wants. So I hope she will be here for many more years. But the other day she went to one of the many funeral homes that are in our area to start checking out some burial plans and prices and to start getting something set up so everything wouldn't be left up to my sister and me to handle. Don't like funeral homes or funerals not since I was 12 years old when I had to go to my dads funeral. They pray on you at your weakest time(losing a loved one). Just a base plan no frills funeral to bury her is $10,500.00 :o Dont know if anyone works at one or owns one here on the forum but this @$#%^ ridiculous. >:( Now I know the reason for the saying you here today, You can't afford to die.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 04:21:35 am by dhall57 »
1970 CB750KO
1971 CB500KO-project bike
1973 CB350G- project bike
1974 CB750K4-project bike
1974 CB750K4
1976 CB750K6
1977 GL1000
1997 Harley Wideglide

Markcb750

Re: Funeral home expense
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2014, 04:42:40 am »
My mom is 81 and starting to get frail after a very active life, it is a difficult thing to watch. My sisters and brothers know she has nothing set aside for this inevitable event and those of her children who know that some will stand by and contribute nothing.  Just the way it is I guess.

The fact that your mom is making plans is commendable, it will surely ease the transition. 

I agree the death industry is atrocious in this country.  It has become imbedded in the process by surrounding itself in legalities lobbied for by the industry and made the last indignity of life a sales call with someone who knows the sale has been made.  fn awful.

I think when I sell by last MC I will use that money to build my own pine box.

Offline demon78

• Old Timer
  • After work to the "Wets"
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2014, 04:54:06 am »
Been through it and is a gut wrenching experience (my Wife) still not sure about the whole thing and the money spent is part of the problem here the small rural funeral home was more able to cope with my requests for simple than it would have been in a city but still expensive and the prices quoted by you guys are on the low side.
Time I went on to less painful things like weeding.
Bill the demon.

Offline fmctm1sw

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2014, 07:32:22 am »
My mom is 85 in good health and still drives and takes daily walks and still able to do about anything she wants. So I hope she will be here for many more years. But the other day she went to one of the many funeral homes that are in our area to start checking out some burial plans and prices and to start getting something set up so everything wouldn't be left up to my sister and me to handle. Don't like funeral homes or funerals not since I was 12 years old when I had to go to my dads funeral. They pray on you at your weakest time(losing a loved one). Just a base plan no frills funeral to bury her is $10,500.00 :o Dont know if anyone works at one or owns one here on the forum but this @$#%^ ridiculous. >:( Now I know the reason for the saying you here today, You can't afford to die.

Yeah, that's about what we paid about 4 yrs ago for my sister's funeral.  Just the basics.  Cremation is cheaper but we didn't want to go that route.  What you can do is ask for "monetary donations instead of flowers to help defray the cost of the services." 
Quote from: 754
Dude is that a tire ? or an O-ring..??

Quote from: inkscars
This is not a pod thread
This is not a #$%* on my vacuum gauges thread
This is a help or GTFO thread.

1973 CB350F
1973 CB350G
1975 CB550K
1983 GL650I
1973 CB750K3 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=92888.0)
1984 Kawasaki KLT-250 (AKA 3 wheeler of death)
1994 Honda TRX300
1999 Honda TRX250

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:52:19 am »
I'm only 39 and in good health, but I already have mine planned. I will be cremated and my ashes spread at my favorite spot on earth. A beautiful location that anyone who wished to "visit me" would enjoy. Cremation only costs about $600 and no funeral home involved. My feelings are that after a generation or two, no one would be coming to visit my headstone in a field of headstones. Cemeteries have never seemed like an enjoyable experience to me. In reality, after I'm dead it doesn't really matter, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone to spend thousands of dollars putting my body in a hole in the ground. I'd rather them use that money to enjoy life.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 07:54:30 am »
It's a rip off, they do prey on you and the costs are always plus plus plus.

My wife lost her Mother a few years ago so I know this first hand.  I had not been involved in planning a funeral prior to that, I could not believe the cost.  $5K for a casket that will rot in the ground? I don't get it.  No funeral for me, I joke to my daughter to just "burn me (cremation) and dump my ashes in Devils Cove in Lake Travis!"
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2014, 08:02:22 am »
I'm only 39 and in good health, but I already have mine planned. I will be cremated and my ashes spread at my favorite spot on earth. A beautiful location that anyone who wished to "visit me" would enjoy. Cremation only costs about $600 and no funeral home involved. My feelings are that after a generation or two, no one would be coming to visit my headstone in a field of headstones. Cemeteries have never seemed like an enjoyable experience to me. In reality, after I'm dead it doesn't really matter, but I certainly wouldn't want anyone to spend thousands of dollars putting my body in a hole in the ground. I'd rather them use that money to enjoy life.

Ditto for me and I'm a good deal farther along life's path than 39.  ;) Whatever your wishes are, document them. It will make it a lot easier for everyone.
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 10:25:46 am »
Go the Cremation Society and a memorial at the church route. Bypass the circling funeral buzzards! Crap like a fancy wooden box in a concrete vault is total BS. A burial and funeral service is nice but....... if the deceased wants it thats what it should be just not overboard.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 12:38:03 pm »
sprinkle my ashes through the carb mouths of any sohc four at 7000 rpm.

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 02:50:27 pm »
sprinkle my ashes through the carb mouths of any sohc four at 7000 rpm.

:)  Not my carbs!

Offline RodPlunger

• Annoying New Guy...
  • The road goes on forever....
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 03:17:31 pm »
1977 CB550F Supersport

"We want to be free.
We want to be free to do what we want to do.
We want to be free to ride.
We want to be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man...
And we want to get loaded!

DH

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 10:45:44 pm »
FWIW I was told recently (by a close relative of a deceased person) that they were thankful that the family chose cremation with a small memorial service. They said
that it is easier to deal with the loss. I've seen it myself as well, and tend to agree.
My aunt passed several years ago. The family celebrated the life of the person, rather than the death. Everyone's different tho, so you go with what fits. I hope to be spread out over graves of different relatives.

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 11:26:49 pm »
Go the Cremation Society and a memorial at the church route. Bypass the circling funeral buzzards! Crap like a fancy wooden box in a concrete vault is total BS. A burial and funeral service is nice but....... if the deceased wants it thats what it should be just not overboard.

Cremation- Dust to dust, why take up space, $$$$$ and fuss.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2014, 02:53:07 am »
The trouble with cremation is you still have to buy a coffin just to have it burned.. :o  I found out a while back that we are allowed to make our own coffins here   ;D, I have that many parts boxes here i'll be fine, I'll get to be cremated and burn the trash all at once..... budget funeral, here I come.....In a while i hope.... ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline JeffSTL

• Hot Shot
  • CB750 K6
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2014, 03:37:11 am »
No coffin required here in the states.

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2014, 04:14:33 am »
The trouble with cremation is you still have to buy a coffin just to have it burned.. :o  I found out a while back that we are allowed to make our own coffins here   ;D, I have that many parts boxes here i'll be fine, I'll get to be cremated and burn the trash all at once..... budget funeral, here I come.....In a while i hope.... ;D
An old fella in town I know is building a casket for both him and his wife, I have to say what he is building are some bloody nice boxes.  Tell you what though, his wife hit the roof when she went down the shed and saw what he was up to. ;D
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2014, 04:57:15 am »

Cemeteries may look a bit spooky but death is just part of life - neither will exist without the other. I have always liked the feeling of knowing where my grandparents are and go there to say a prayer every now and then. If my parents leave before me I would like to have a place to go and think of them instead of any ethereal spot anywhere in the World.

Some weeks ago I had to attend a sad burial of a relative who died from cancer and left two little girls and a husband. It was in the biggest Madrid cemetery, you probably won't believe the size of it, there are buses to go to places inside it. Well, the cemetery is reusing the old graves that hasn't been renewed. They are sold for 99 years and cost like $8000, and if you want to renew it you have 99 years more for that sum.

Long story short, the burial was in that area so I had the chance to see many graves with engravings from the early 1920's. Sadly enough, it was the area used for kids. It was sad to see so many sad farewells from parents and to feel how many sad stories etched in stone from kids who died even before they could walk.

Many of the graves looked to have been unattended for decades. As you say, after two generations nobody cares. It is like my great-grandparents. I didn't know them so I don't feel no need to remember them. In one of the graves there was an enameled sign hanging by just one of the four screws. It dated from the 1920's. I thought it would look cool in my shop, so with my bare hands I removed the sign. The faintest wind would have made it fall over the grave, the last standing screw was rusted. Then I felt terribly bad. It was true nobody have cared for that little boy for decades. Nobody would miss that sign. But I felt like a tomb raider. If I took that sign with me nobody will ever know the name of the boy buried over there. It could be in the cemetary register, but I felt that the kid deserved the right to leave a token of his existence at least until the grave concession expires.

So I left the sign over the grave and plan to go this week to glue it to the cross so it holds tight until 2019, when it will be sent to the scrap yard.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 05:00:20 am by Raul CB750K1 »

Offline tomk1960

• "We are the people are parents warned us about."
    • Tom's Cycle Recycling
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2014, 06:58:05 am »
There's one funeral home in my home town that caters to the majority of the local community.  The lawns and grounds are perfectly manicured and cared for, the building is immaculate, and their limos and hearse are like new.  I know the director of the place and he lives like a king, so I know that he profits handsomely from death.  I think everyone who works hard should earn a decent living, but to take advantage of someone in such a dark and depressing time is disgusting in my opinion.  $10,000 to be buried?  Give me a break!  And I've always felt that using precious land to bury concrete vaults with immaculately built hardwood coffins inside is a total waste.  Maybe it's better than filling the space with cut-and-past McMansions, but still, a waste of real estate in my opinion.

I need to do a little research, but I've heard that just a cardboard box is acceptable for cremation in some states.  I'd like my kids to scatter my ashes at one of our favorite spots on earth - the beach we've been going to every year since they were born.  They can do it in an area where the ashes will be washed into the sea as the tide goes out and whenever they go there with THEIR kids, they'll think of me.

I want my memorial service to be kept simple and to be a celebration of my life, not the mourning of my death.  Life is a gift and it should be celebrated.
2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 Classic
1984 VF1000F Interceptor
1983 CB1100F Super Sport
1983 VF750F Interceptor
1982 CB900F Super Sport
1978 GL1000
1977 GL1000
1974 CB750 Four

www.tomscyclerecycling.com

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2014, 01:29:25 pm »
I don't know how it is in the States. I also agree that spending much money in an elaborate casket is a waste of time. Even flowers and shrines are but they are more to show the remaining how much we care, or sometimes just to keep up to standards.

As I said, a grave lease in Spain is about $8000 for 99 years. If you add up the funeral service, casket etc it also goes beyond $10.000. But the biggest part of the expenditure is the grave lease. It amounts about $80 a year, which is less than $10 an month. Not that much in my opinion.

Apart from cremation there are alternatives. Niches are about $2000 and the lease is for 10 years. If you don't renew the lease the remains are taken together to a communal grave. Believe it or not, after 10 years many people don't miss their relative that much, so they don't renew the lease anymore.

Offline 78 k550

• Master
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 05:07:50 pm »
my dad joked about when he died take his teeth they with be worth something. He said he had about 15,000 dollars of white gold in his mouth. I bet the people dressing him up grabbed all the back ones and cashed in.

Paul
Paul
Littleton, CO

76/77 CB 750F, 
75 GL1000, (AKA GL1-242 NGWClub),
76 GL1000 LTD
84 GL1200 Standard
6 Bultaco's= 42, 49, 121, 152, 167, 188

Offline wardenerd

• Expert
  • '77 550F '81 650C
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »

I want a Viking funeral .  Raft, flaming arrow the works .  My wife agreed but hell after I'm dead she will probably put me I  a hefty bag and leave me beside the road.

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 06:33:31 am »

So I left the sign over the grave and plan to go this week to glue it to the cross so it holds tight until 2019, when it will be sent to the scrap yard.

Mission accomplished! My memory failed me, the boy died in 1925 at 5 years of age. So sad nobody seems to remember him

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2014, 06:37:35 am »
That area of the cemetery makes your heart shrink. Even when the graves are old and many decades have gone by, every epitaph you read makes you feel the pain of some parents the day they were burying their beloved offsprings in that very same spot.

To our little doll!

(4 months old)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:39:43 am by Raul CB750K1 »

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2014, 06:40:25 am »
Old pictures that remember their short stay among the living.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:42:16 am by Raul CB750K1 »

Offline Raul CB750K1

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2014, 06:49:26 am »
This one caught my attention: "Luisita Marian Gonzalo, victim from the aviation in the "Las Carolinas" school, march 6th, 1935"

Spanish civil war started july 1936, and then there were air raids, but not before. What could have happened? Internet and the newspaper archive come to the rescue: a broken-down airplane crashed into a building, killing both pilot and co-pilot. In the building there was a toddler school. Only one little girl was killed, and 12 were injured.

http://hemeroteca.abc.es/nav/Navigate.exe/hemeroteca/madrid/abc/1935/03/07/025.html