Author Topic: CB550 Stock Airbox K&N Filters  (Read 798 times)

Offline jcorrill

• Elite School of Wrestling
CB550 Stock Airbox K&N Filters
« on: July 01, 2014, 08:01:58 am »
So i have a Cb550, and i am looking to use a K&N airfilter with the stock airbox.  However, they do not make a filter for the airbox, so i am looking for a K&N filter that will work.  I have found a couple models that may work, but i was just wondering if anyone has found a model that works for sure.

The model that most aligns with the deminsion (that i have found) RC-70032.  Let me know what you think. 

Thanks,

JC
Nothing will test your patience like owning a vintage motorcycle.

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
Re: CB550 Stock Airbox K&N Filters
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 11:54:09 am »
I found this guy on the eBay. They are not super rare or anything, but when I find them, they are usually beat up.  Keep your eyes open and you might find one with the adapter. 

CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jcorrill

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 01:56:17 pm »
Would you consider selling me that or is there a model number that i could search to find it?  Thanks for the help.

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 06:36:55 pm »
Sorry, it is already on my bike.  The part number is R-83, but they don't make them any more. Keep an eye on here and on eBay. They pop up from time to time.
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jcorrill

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 01:10:37 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNI-AIR-FILTER-HONDA-CB-550-CB550-FOURS-1974-1978-/291043919475?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c391c673&vxp=mtr

Do you guys think that this would be a good alternative to the stock air filter - i hear that individual pod filters are not the route to take for the 550's, so i am looking for alternatives.  Thanks

Offline flatlander

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:26:04 pm »
yes the unifitler NU-4055 is fine with the stock airbox. but you can probably find it cheaper than that ebay link if you do a search.

Offline jcorrill

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 05:33:12 am »
Does it improve performance at all?  I know it wont be significant, as not filter system would be - but i just want to make sure that it is a better option than the stock filter before i spend money on it. 

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 05:59:59 am »
I don't know that you will see any performance improvements.  I was running one for a few years until I got the K&N.  The nice thing about it is that it is washable.  You don't have to keep buying filters, just but the cleaner and oil for it.  Make sure that you get the oil for the foam filter, don't use the K&N oil.  It is not the same and will not work as well.