Author Topic: Standard (non o-ring) chain master link options  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
Standard (non o-ring) chain master link options
« on: July 03, 2014, 10:10:56 am »
I've recently started racing my CB750 with AHRMA.  I basically converted my street bike to be race prepped, so the original set-up wasn't necessarily geared towards racing.  Not a big deal as I compete in the Novice Historic Production class, but I'm slowly making improvements and plan to start on a dedicated race bike soon. 

I currently have an o-ring chain on the bike and was thinking about switching over to a non-oring chain, but can't seem to find a standard chain with a rivet type master link.

Is it OK to roadrace with a clip type master link? 
I found a thread on safety wiring a clip type master link:
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=93014.msg1038065#msg1038065
is this good enough?

What do the rest of you do... or is there a brand that still sells rivet style links with their non-oring chains?

Thanks,
Chris
- Chris
75' CB750F Orange flake (rider)
75' CB750F Blue (Project)
75' CB750F Painted black (Project)
No Reserve Racing #171 AHRMA

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Standard (non o-ring) chain master link options
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2014, 10:17:33 am »
I use a clip & safety wire it and tech is cool with that.

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2014, 10:46:55 am »
Is there an advantage to running a standard chain? I guess the O-ring chains are a bit heavier, but I would think that they may not have the friction benefits of the O-ring. 
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline 70CB750

• Labor omnia vincit improbus.
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Northern Virginia
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 11:24:35 am »
That's the gist, simple chains need less power to bend than O/X rings.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 12:16:56 pm »
old subject..... I have been racing for 7 seasons with o-ring and can testify that non of my race finishes would have changed by having a non OR chain.

although when flexing by hand a (cold) o-ring chain seems like having more friction, in a race the chain heats up big time, the resistance drops noticably. never mind the fact that a non OR will fling its grease out of the bushing areas in no time and there's no way to push back in there the lubricant. so after maybe one race the friction is bound to be WORSE than an OR....

simon 42, a member here with a long history of racing and tuning has witnessed dyno sessions to check just that and the difference was negligible after the OR chain heated up.

I like to rivet mine, but heard also about cleaning the side plate with thinners, and putting a nice blob of RTV on the clip.

Offline Old Scrambler

• My CB750K3 has been in 39 States & 5 Provinces
  • Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 12:23:24 pm »
...................and lighten up on lube. I use chain-saver wax (more frequent) from DuPont on my street bike.  OK with the clip and safety wire on Speed Trials chains.  Keep the tensile-strength up................... 
Dennis in Wisconsin
'64 Triumph Cub & '74 Honda CB750 Bonneville Salt Flats AMA Record Holder (6)
CB750 Classic Bonneville Racer thread - http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,135473.0.html
'63 CL72 Project(s)
'66 CL77 Red
'67 Triumph T100C
'73 750K3 Owned since New
'77 750F2 Cafe Project
2020 ROYAL ENFIELD Himalayan

Offline Tintop

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 02:10:55 pm »
I use an o-ring on the sidecar, and a safety wired clip (1st version).  Also put some white paint on the link so it's easy for my to find it & tech to check it.  Never has an issue.
1977 CB550/4 Cafe - Speed Warrior / BOTM 03/11
1980 CB750F (project)
Whittaker GBF Vintage Racing Sidecar (XS750 power) - ITG / 151's / CMR Racing Products (SOLD)
1976 CB400 SS - stock / BOTM 04/11 (SOLD)
1973 CB750 K - basket case (SOLD)
77 CB550 Cafe build
550/750 Filter Thread
Sidecar Rebuild Thread

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2014, 02:50:40 pm »
Contrary to what TG & Simon say, I've found an extra 0.05hp with a non o-ring 520. Worth one bite of a Big Mac.  ;D

I'm a tad anal about my chains. I like to hang & clean them after two weekend events, then heat them with a heat gun and work in synthetic lube and wipe them off again. If I don't fall off or break sprockets and ruin them I expect five race weekends plus a couple trackdays from a chain.

Just one man's path.

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2014, 07:06:52 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback!

Considering my current riding level, it's probably best to stick with the x-ring chain for now if the non-oring chain is only going to give me an additional 0.05 bhp.

My biggest gains right now will be just getting in more track time and improving my skills. 
I'll try out the non-oring chain after I get to the point where I'm trying to shave off fractions of a second on my lap times - hopefully sooner than later :)

Brent, thanks for sharing your chain maintenance process.  Interesting that you only expect to get 5-7 weekends out of them.  Is that because it stretches too much, or that you're just not comfortable using it after that many races?
- Chris
75' CB750F Orange flake (rider)
75' CB750F Blue (Project)
75' CB750F Painted black (Project)
No Reserve Racing #171 AHRMA

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2014, 08:09:50 pm »
I was just joking about the 0.05hp. After 5-7 full race weekends a chain is well used and I prefer to replace it.