Author Topic: Like a blast from the past  (Read 1099 times)

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
Like a blast from the past
« on: July 23, 2014, 01:17:10 am »
Just finished cleaning out my gas tank that came with the bike back in 2000. I bought the bike in Wyoming and the tank was very rusty inside so I was running another red tank that I got on Ebay but it had some dents on the right side (left side looked great). Then I bought a black 74 tank from a member here a coupla years ago. I spent time each day last week running vinegar through it and finally decided to cut to the chase and put prep & etch in it. I was having trouble figuring out what to do with it because the instructions don't deal with doing the inside of a tank.....just brushing it on to metal. Gotta thank Lloyd for pushing me in the right direction. I thought you just drained the prep & etch out and let it dry but no! It doesn't stop the flash rusting but it slows it way down. You still have to rinse with water after draining it out and then get the remaining water out. I used compressed air and an alcohol rinse and it came out great!! I'm getting some older style tank badges from Chef Tuskey to put on it and was wondering what it would cost to get it clear coated by a pro. Anyone have a ballpark figure for that? Also I'm wanting to hit it with some rubbing compound. I don't mind the top being faded a little (I kinda like the Patina of it) but it has some small stains and left behind in the paint the stain from the wear your helmet sticker. I'll have to remember to pop some pics of that.
Anyways I'm happy it turned out so good because I really thought that tank was gonna be a goner....it looked that bad on the inside.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Oldtech

• Enthusiast
  • Motorcycle tech: old, cranky and retired
Re: Like a blast from the past
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 05:01:33 am »
Shouldn't cost more than about $75 to prep and shoot clear coat. Personally I prefer to leave the paint stock even if it is a little scratched and faded. I just ran this one for the first time yesterday. Its a low mileage bike that came from out of the back of a gagage where it sat for many years. Its faded on top just like yours but thats part of the charm of these old dogs. I really hate the crappy Mac exhaust but it will have to do until I find a replacement. 

Offline Muckinfuss

• Hot Shot
  • "I plan to live forever.....or die trying."
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 08:51:13 am »
I you have a vo-ed school near by, check with them as to their automotive dept.  Should have the proper equip, supervision etc. and the price will be right.
1984 Sportster 1000cc XL
1988 Heritage Softail
1974 CB550
1989 Corvette

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 11:16:22 pm »
$75 seems fair to me for a quality job. I thought of a guy I know that does auto detailing. He has his own business and does a bit of work with paint. I'm wondering about hitting it with some rubbing compound but I think I'll ask my friend for suggestions. I've seen pictures of some of the crappy paint on cars that he has brought back from the dead. I could probably get it done dirt cheap by a student but not willing to take the gamble. I've heard horror stories from people getting their hair cut or styled from students that turned south. At least your hair would grow back but I'd be pissed if they screwed up what paint I have left!! I'm sure they aren't liable for any mishaps. So I received parts from Chef Tuskey today and played with the K1 tank badges. I like these better than the newer ones because the metal is silver not goldish and they don't have the big background behind the letters. Same with the side badges....I'm going older style. I tried the tank badge as he sent it....with the letters blacked out with a black marker. Then I completely stripped the other one and tried it on the other side. Then I blacked out the background with a black marker. I like it the best so I'm gonna paint the backround black. Also putting up pics of the inside of tank and my black 74 tank that I'm gonna clean up and store. These older badges are also easier to bend into shape on the tank than the Joker ones on my black tank. They were kinda a beeatch to to put the curve in without screwing them up. Also pictured is a stain in the paint (just clearcoat I hope) and where the safety sticker got embedded. I like having the petcock back on the left side also because its easier to change while keeping your hand on the throttle.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 11:26:47 pm »
Looks good Fred... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.