Author Topic: Any vintage BMXers out there ?  (Read 825 times)

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
Any vintage BMXers out there ?
« on: September 23, 2015, 05:32:27 am »
Just scored these last night...    Original 74 Motomag Mongoose w/ Motomag 1s.    And a 78-79ish Schwinn Mag Scrambler with wheels made by Lester !
That's dust in the photos - haven't cleaned them yet.   Been sitting since the late 80's

Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline Bailgang

• Scott
  • Old Timer
  • Indiana
Re: Any vintage BMXers out there ?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 06:04:36 am »
I remember back in the day when BMX first became the rage like redline/proline frames and forks, tuff-wheels or lightweight spoked rims, some crazy beefed up goose neck that I can't remember the name of and don't forget a 3 piece crank.
Scott

71 cb350 twin
77 cb750 F2
83 gl1100 Interstate

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 06:35:44 am »
Nice finds. My first BMX was a mongoose. Mind you this was 15 years or so ago now. Not-so-vintage.
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline greenjeans

• Industrial strengthed dreamer.
  • Old Timer
  • 1972 CB750K2
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 09:27:53 am »
My gigantic 29" mountain bike is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than these bricks.  Got 'em for the nostalgia.   I was a bike whore even as a kid.   Had a Mongoose just like the one I found, a Hutch, a Webco and a Takara.   Paper route, and mowing yards kept me in bikes and out of trouble.
Yep, I'm the kid that figured out how to put things back together...eventually.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 01:45:56 pm »
cool find...those moto-mags look just like my Kimtabs...I rode Schwinn Scrambler back in the day then got into Skateboards...two local buddies Scott Towne and MArk Lewman ended up moving to Cali and writing for BMX Plus Magazine...Scott is into choppers and stuff now, he had a cb500/550 way before I had any bikes but still rides BMX and is around 50 years old
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Duke McDukiedook

• Space Force 6 Star General
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Wish? Did somebody say wish?
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 03:10:21 pm »
My gigantic 29" mountain bike is SIGNIFICANTLY lighter than these bricks.  Got 'em for the nostalgia.   I was a bike whore even as a kid.   Had a Mongoose just like the one I found, a Hutch, a Webco and a Takara.   Paper route, and mowing yards kept me in bikes and out of trouble.

I remember a guy up the street that had a Redline frame with the sweetest setup. Dude used to rip up Alicia trails up by the community college and race up at the local track. When I got older I wanted that bike.
"Well, Mr. Carpetbagger. We got somethin' in this territory called the Missouri boat ride."   Josey Wales

"It's Baltimore, gentlemen. The gods will not save you." Ervin Burrell

CB750 K3 crat | (2) 1986 VFR750F