Author Topic: CB550 cam chain tensioner to crank case install  (Read 1210 times)

Offline wrenchwench

CB550 cam chain tensioner to crank case install
« on: January 16, 2015, 07:10:10 am »
I am sure many of you have been there and done that, so I am asking for your advise.

The bike is a 1974 (if that matters) and among other things I have replaced the cam chain tensioner (new oem) however it missed the lower install location in the crankcase. I can see that now that I have the oil pan off. So now that I have the exhaust off again, carbs off again, cam out again, and the 12 cylinder head nuts almost off the studs (just a couple of threads away). My question is, if I can lift the cylinders with the head still attached, up by 20mm (or less?) will it be possible to get the lower end of this bugger into its proper cradle in the bottom of the cases? Or am I going to have to pull the head off again as well?

And what is the effect of leaving the tensioner indexed incorrectly just behind its lower cradle in the cases?

Offline FunJimmy

• Who you calling
  • Old Timer
  • Vancouver
Re: CB550 cam chain tensioner to crank case install
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 08:31:26 am »
And what is the effect of leaving the tensioner indexed incorrectly just behind its lower cradle in the cases?

Accelarated wear and premature failure!
Not words commonly used to discribe Honda SOHC4's.

This is a common installation mistake unfortuanatly I don't recall if it can be positioned properly without removing the head completely. You are better served to pull it and install new base and head gaskets anyway.
You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office!

CB550 Cafe Interceptor a Gentlemans Roadster
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=27159.0