Author Topic: Clutch Lifter Plate Torque Specs  (Read 4673 times)

Offline Jake1990

• She's running....for now
Clutch Lifter Plate Torque Specs
« on: August 11, 2014, 11:44:39 am »
Hey hows it going everyone? I have a 1974 Honda CB750 and the bolts holding my clutch lifter plate in came loose. So I was wondering if anyone has the torque specs for the 4 bolts holding the plate in? Thank you all in advance!

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
Re: Clutch Lifter Plate Torque Specs
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 12:01:12 pm »
Hi.There is in fact a torque value,though most builders and tinkerers know from experience to ignore the spec on 6 mm aluminium threads.I always tighten them evenly as you compress the springs until the plate bottoms then a pinch more.Not sure how you would have had them come loose as they are under constant spring pressure.  Cheers
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F

Offline martin99

• UK Based, Non-
  • Master
  • Adventure before Dementia
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 03:10:00 pm »
^^^^^
What he said. Of course, if you've already over-tightened them you may have stripped the threads, which might explain why they feel loose. I hope not :-\
Build threads:
77 750F2 Refresh Project http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=144075.0
TRIBSA http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,160296.0.html

1977 CB750 F2
1958 Norton Model 99
2011 Triumph Street Triple 675

Offline Jake1990

• She's running....for now
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 10:15:42 am »
Thanks for the advice. So just to make sure the clutch lifter plate should bottom out on the four posts that come out of the clutch basket? Also I don't know if it matters but I have "High Proformance" clutch springs. I just don't want to break the plate, I have broken one in the past.

Offline flybox1

• My wife thinks I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 11:09:13 am »
Thanks for the advice. So just to make sure the clutch lifter plate should bottom out on the four posts that come out of the clutch basket? Also I don't know if it matters but I have "High Proformance" clutch springs. I just don't want to break the plate, I have broken one in the past.
1/2 turn of the socket at a time.....takes a while, but you wont crack it.
bottom out and a tad more.  not torqued. 
'78 750K (F3 engine) PD42b's, Modified airbox w/K&N  filter, 40/110 jets, 1 needle shim, IMS@ 1 turn out. Kerker + Cone 18" QuietCore

Past Bikes
1974 550K0 (stock), 1973 CB350F (stock), 1983 Yamaha XS400K (POS)
77/78 cool 2 member #3
"Knowledge without mileage equals bullsh!t" - Henry Rollins

"This is my CB. There are many like it, but this one is mineā€¦"

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2014, 03:10:41 pm »
Here is WHY the lifter plate breaks even when you carefully tighten the bolts.

The pieces do not align.
To keep the plate from breaking, turn all of the bolts a turn or so then tap the assy with the handle of your rachet a few times before you continue to tighten.
You will notice that every time you tap on it then go to tighten the bolts some more that the bolts are loose. That is because you have the alignment right after tapping on the assy.  So tight tap, tighten tap...etc.,.

Offline Cevan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2014, 06:13:27 pm »
I don't mean to hijack this thread but can someone answer a question for me?  As you tighten the four bolts and start compressing the springs, should the clutch plates and pressure plates start to squeeze together so that once the lifter plate is bottomed out, the clutch is effectively "out" and engaged? 

In my case, they are not.  In fact, the plates can rattle around even once the lifter plate is bottomed out.  Also, if I put the clutch cover on, the throw out part doesn't even touch the lift plate, even with it adjusted all the way.

Offline City Boy

• Hot Shot
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2014, 09:33:19 pm »
Hi Cevan.I think what may be happening is that U have the clutch pressure plate and clutch centre misaligned.Pull both pieces off again.You will likely find that the pressure plate is not fully engaging the splines of the centre.Rotate the pressure plate until the two parts fully engage then reassemble. Good luck.
'52 Kiekhaefer Mercury Rocket Hurricane KG4H
'70 750/RC 1000 Original Owner
'83 1100F

Offline Cevan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2014, 04:54:55 am »
Hi Cevan.I think what may be happening is that U have the clutch pressure plate and clutch centre misaligned.Pull both pieces off again.You will likely find that the pressure plate is not fully engaging the splines of the centre.Rotate the pressure plate until the two parts fully engage then reassemble. Good luck.

Got it.  Yup, the two aluminum pieces weren't engaging. 

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2014, 07:16:46 am »
Good catch CB. There have been many threads on this issue. This is by far the biggest reason for broken lifter plates. With the splines properly engaged you can atuallly tighten the plate dwn safely with just 2 bolts. I have done so for exhibition purposes and posted pictures of such here. It is not so delicate if the spines are engaged.

In the future, one should mark the top of a spring post and the area on the hub adjacent to it so reassembly with engagement is assured. Use a sharpie type pen. There are 4 chances only 2 of which will work. So one has a 50% chance to get it right without knowing it. But if its wrong, look for a broken lifter plate.

Once all 4 bolts are seated, a simple 5lbs torque is fine.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline MiGhost

• What was that about being an
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2014, 03:12:49 pm »
Here is WHY the lifter plate breaks even when you carefully tighten the bolts.

The pieces do not align.
To keep the plate from breaking, turn all of the bolts a turn or so then tap the assy with the handle of your rachet a few times before you continue to tighten.
You will notice that every time you tap on it then go to tighten the bolts some more that the bolts are loose. That is because you have the alignment right after tapping on the assy.  So tight tap, tighten tap...etc.,.

Also the reason for how the bolts could come loose.
When the lifter plate catches. You get a false reading on the tightness of the bolts.
~ Ghost

Grey Ghost '80 CB650C: Updated Stock Restomod. Period Custom Cruiser (OEM harbags & trunk, Wixom Ranger fairing, Jardine turnouts)
Bad Moon '83 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim: Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing

Offline MCRider

• Such is the life of a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Today's Lesson: One good turn deserves another.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2014, 04:44:55 pm »
There are only 2 of 4 possible ways the hub can go with the pressure plate. IF you've picked one of the bad 2, all the tapping in the world will not align the splines. It must be disassembled, rotated 90deg, and reassembled.
Ride Safe:
Ron
1988 NT650 HawkGT;  1978 CB400 Hawk;  1975 CB750F -Free Bird; 1968 CB77 Super Hawk -Ticker;  Phaedrus 1972 CB750K2- Build Thread
"Sometimes the light's all shining on me, other times I can barely see, lately it appears to me, what a long, strange trip its been."

Offline Cevan

• Enthusiast
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2014, 08:14:26 am »
I ended up assembling the whole thing on my work bench and put two springs in and two bolts (with some spacers) to hold the whole thing together with just a little spring pressure and then inserted it in the engine. 

Btw, Hondaman's book gives a torque value of 70-90 inch/lbs for the bolts.