Author Topic: No gears - Dead on the shoulder  (Read 3341 times)

Offline kjs

Re: No gears - Dead on the shoulder
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2014, 06:32:14 am »
Holy cow! First time I've ever seen a sprocket more worn on the inside than the outside.  All my guesses as to how that could have happen seem far-fetched.  How does the chain look? Rear sprocket? Pics when you crack the case too.

Offline MoMo

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ride like you're invisible
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2014, 07:05:59 am »
weld her on and ride the rest of the year, make it a winter project. what do you have to lose. you'll end up replacing the shaft and seal anyhow.

that's what I would do. The Honda XR650L has a bad habit of eating countershaft splines and there are a LOT of instances of guys just welding them on and riding until it wears out then doing the rebuild.

that is a good temporary solution , possibly permanent if one so chose ;)

Offline strawhouse

• Enthusiast
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2014, 10:55:39 am »
I was going to TIG weld it on but decided to opt out for another engine, the only reason was just in case I didn't get it rebuilt over the winter in time for spring. This way if it takes longer then expected I can still be riding the bike in the mean time. 
As for the sprockets and the chain?  As you can see in the picture they are quite new.  I put a new front and rear sprocket and chain on last spring... roughly 1500 - 2000 km's ago.
Pacifist with a gun