Author Topic: Transmission problem or....?  (Read 1345 times)

Offline albertaboy

• No way I'm a
  • Hot Shot
Transmission problem or....?
« on: August 11, 2014, 10:00:47 pm »
I dont know how to title this problem even so have a read as I try to describe.  Bike is a K5 750.  While putting the drive chain on this evening, noticed I couldn't spin the front sprocket by hand. I managed to put the chain on and discovered that I could not easily spin the rear wheel.  Usually, when up on the center stand, one can spin it like a Ferris wheel? No? I have to use both hands to turn the rear wheel with effort and it doesn't spin under its own momentum.  This stumps me.  To ensure the rear brake wasn't locking up, I removed the chain and easily spun the wheel.  I can shift the level into first up to second and back into neutral.

Some back ground. This bike is almost back together. I don't have the carbs or exhaust on yet.  I did a top end rebuild but I did split the case and put new primary chains in and a cam chain on the crank. I thought it went back together properly but is this a sign I missed something?  Can you guys give me some ideas?  Thanks.
1975 CB750K
No where to go and all day to get there.
My build thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131424.0

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: Transmission problem or....?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 10:07:05 pm »
Something is wrong if you can't turn the front sprocket by hand, with the trans in neutral and no chain installed. :(
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline albertaboy

• No way I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 10:14:10 pm »
Something is wrong if you can't turn the front sprocket by hand, with the trans in neutral and no chain installed. :(
I figured so too. It was spinning free at one point, but I opened and closed the cases a dozen times before I decided I was ready to bolt it up. I don't remember re checking it. Before I resign myself to taking the engine out and apart again.... I thought Id ask...
1975 CB750K

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 10:21:39 pm »
Have you swapped a different clutch or clutch cover onto the bike? There are interference issues between years. Might be worth removing the cover before yanking the motor?
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline albertaboy

• No way I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 10:23:38 pm »
Have you swapped a different clutch or clutch cover onto the bike? There are interference issues between years. Might be worth removing the cover before yanking the motor?

No, never did that. Never opened the clutch this time either.   Thanks.
1975 CB750K

Offline albertaboy

• No way I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 12:47:55 pm »
Also, I never disassembled the transmission while I had the cases apart.  I did shift through the gears to observe and inspect the operation, to inspect the condition of the shift forks, gear dogs and gear teeth.  I thought I had it back in neutral but obviously not.  As I spin the rear tire, I do not hear any audible grinding or clashing noises-nothing usual that way.  What might be out of place and is splitting the bottom end my only option to resolve it?
1975 CB750K