Author Topic: RIDDLE ME THIS CARB-MAN.....  (Read 1965 times)

Offline chippyfive50

• Hot Shot
  • NO PEE ON TEPEE
    • thesweetimpala
RIDDLE ME THIS CARB-MAN.....
« on: September 26, 2006, 10:37:40 am »
75 550 motor, I rebuilt the carbs last winter(eveything fresh exept floats and main needles) the bike was running great. NOW>>> carb 2 is "loading rich" @ cruising speeds..1/4and less throttle, and just blubbering.  I roll on the throttle and it rips. After 5 or so "crusing miles",the missing  is intolerable, so I blow it out for a mile, return to 1/4 throttle cruising speed, and it is fine for a few miles, then repeat.
I should mention it idles fine.
SO..
 I noticed it was leaking fuel (from 2 and 4) after sitting for a week, and pulled the tank, and found my petcock is dripping when off.
All of that being said, I think my overflow problem is isolated to the leaky petcock. As for the #2 cylinder, wouldn't it have to be a float or shut off needle/seat problem???
or could the air screw be involved?? ???

« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:07:01 pm by chippyfive50 »
SOHC Member#4000
71' 500K0 #1021237--E1108327
78' 550
72' 750K2(sold to "Craig")
74' 750K4 #2306334--E2303422
73' CL175
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=14013

Offline csendker

• Master
  • Chris; '75 CB550 & a Crusty 'ol boat
Re: RIDDLE ME THIS CARB-MAN.....
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 01:42:15 pm »
Leaking petcock: if the petcock is leaking while the bike is just sitting, it should fill the bowls until the needle valve is seated which then shuts off the flow of fuel.  While a leaking petcock is never a good thing, the needle valves should prevent an overflow while at rest.  Of course, that's all theoretically.  If there's crap in the mix, the needle won't properly seat.  If the needle taper is worn, it won't properly seat.  If the float level is too high, it will run out the overflow before it ever properly seats.  And if your overflow tube has a tiny crack in it....and so on and so on.  First, fix the leaky petcock, but also check the overflow tubes and float levels and drain the bowls looking for any signs of crud.

Crappy running: Idles good, so it's probably not the air screws & slow jets - they impact 1/4~1/8 throttle on down.  Needle clip position impacts operation from 1/8~3/4 throttle, so I'd consider there, however this would be kinda an odd fix in that this condition suddenly cropped up.  Needle taper impacts 1/4 on up, and main jets 3/4 on up, maybe something here, but again an odd fix for a sudden problem.  I'd start looking for crud in your bowls and maybe float height adjustment.  If the problem occurred directly after a rebuild, then maybe some of the mechanical/physical stuff like clip position and needle/jets/etc.  But a sudden problem smacks of crud someplace.  And it ties in with your leaking petcock thing.
Actually runs --> 1975 CB550-K1
Projects ---> Crusty old boat
Gallery --> http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/Christopher/?g2_navId=xada3c7ff

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
  • www.facebook.com/RetroMecanicaAustralia
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2006, 03:54:42 pm »
One of your bowls has too high a fuel level.

Due to misajustment, leaky float, heavy float or a poor seal of the needle (trash or Worn seat/needle)

Its missing because your too rich and loading up a plug. A full bore run reduces the fuel level and cleans off the plug.

I set my fuel levels in the bowl with a couple of old bowls that have the overflow tube wacked off and clear tubing attached. Lets me see right where the fuel level in the bowl is and lets me set them even staright across.
Stranger in a strange land

Offline csendker

• Master
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 05:36:15 pm »
I set my fuel levels in the bowl with a couple of old bowls that have the overflow tube wacked off and clear tubing attached. Lets me see right where the fuel level in the bowl is and lets me set them even staright across.

Do you do this while they are still on the bike?  If so, please elaborate...I'm pretty sure my floats are off but have no intention of removing the carbs while I can still ride it in the fading weather.  Maybe this winter, but if I can reset the float levels while still on the bike, I may not need to anyway.
Gallery --> http://www.sohc4.us/gallery/v/members/personal/Christopher/?g2_navId=xada3c7ff

Offline crazypj

• I'm brill, me
  • Old Timer
  • first 100,000 miles. 1977 CB550F
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 06:01:37 pm »
I think you should take a look at the needle and needle jet.
 Look for any ridges on needle or elongation of the jet hole. ( it really does go 'pear' shaped ;D)
PJ
I fake being smart pretty good
'you can take my word for it or argue until you find out I'm right'

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 08:47:44 pm »
I usually do it as the last step before I put them on the bike.

It could be done while on the bike just more cumbersome.

I am kinda suspicious of your post when you say "last winter" have you been running the bike regularly since then?

Offline jalfonso

• Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2006, 12:43:20 pm »
My 550 was dumping fuel on the ground when parked.  I took the tank off and noticed that the petcock dripped gas when in the off position.  I put in new gaskets and it still did it.  I bought a replacement petcock from Honda and it still dripped.  The culprits were the floats.  I thought I had set them correctly when I rebuilt the carbs, apparently I didn't.  Once they were set correctly, no more dripping problem.
John Alfonso
1974 CB550 Four
1982 750F Super Sport

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2006, 01:19:43 pm »
My 550 was dumping fuel on the ground when parked.  I took the tank off and noticed that the petcock dripped gas when in the off position.  I put in new gaskets and it still did it.  I bought a replacement petcock from Honda and it still dripped.  The culprits were the floats.  I thought I had set them correctly when I rebuilt the carbs, apparently I didn't.  Once they were set correctly, no more dripping problem.

The carb floats don't have anything to do with fuel dripping out of the petcock.  If there's gas coming out of the petcock when it's in the OFF position, then there's still something wrong with it. 

Offline kghost

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2006, 03:23:01 pm »

The carb floats don't have anything to do with fuel dripping out of the petcock.  If there's gas coming out of the petcock when it's in the OFF position, then there's still something wrong with it. 

Gordon I think he's implying that while the petcock quit leaking the carbs did not.....due to improper float level.

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2006, 04:32:34 pm »
i had a 'missin' problem at part throttle, which turned out to be a a small peice of rubber off the fuel lines stuck in the float valve... have you had the fuel line off lately?.... just a though..

peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline chippyfive50

• Hot Shot
  • NO PEE ON TEPEE
    • thesweetimpala
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2006, 07:47:31 pm »
I yanked the carbs and petcock tonight (the UNI Pods make it a snap I must say..)  It looks like my petcock (where the mounting screw gasket meets the body assembly) well, one side appears to have a substantial chip/defect on the inside diameter of the where the gasket meets the assembly. It must have alwas been like that, but coupled with my other problem, i just noticed it?? This makes it look as if fuel could leak past the mounting bolt gasket(bypassing the valve circuit) and dip into the resivoir, and on out the line.
As for carb 2, everything appears clean and normal, so I am going to test the float tomorrow/check height ect..
thanks for all the input....
does anyone have the float height off hand??  the carbs are from a 71-500
SOHC Member#4000
71' 500K0 #1021237--E1108327
78' 550
72' 750K2(sold to "Craig")
74' 750K4 #2306334--E2303422
73' CL175
http://gallery.sohc4.net/main.php?g2_itemId=14013

Offline csendker

• Master
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2006, 05:29:24 am »