Author Topic: CB550 Safety inspection didn't go well....  (Read 7172 times)

Offline Peter From Barrie.

• Honda Meus Optimus!
  • '85 Suzuki VS750 Intruder, '74 Honda CB550
Re: CB550 Safety inspection didn't go well....
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2014, 03:18:56 pm »
The circle I was referring to..
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:27:25 pm by Peter From Barrie. »

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2014, 03:20:16 pm »
Should there be a bolt here? I think so... (Between 4 & 3 cylinders - exhaust side)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:46:56 pm by Peter From Barrie. »

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2014, 03:21:33 pm »
The 'crack'. Absolutely no leakage. No head cover penetration. #3 Cylinder exhaust side.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 03:44:39 pm by Peter From Barrie. »

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2014, 03:25:00 pm »
This is the sum total of the leakage 'on the ground' after an hour's ride. And I rode 'er hard and put 'er up wet!

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2014, 03:32:08 pm »
One last post...this is the sprocket and shifter. I saw a lot of grunge (since cleaned)  from when I oiled the chain, but no leakage from the shifter itself.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2014, 03:32:25 pm »
Where exactly is the crack oriented on the motor? I can the threaded hole and chunk missing, can't figure out where that is? That needs some attention  :-\

The red sealant under the tappet cover- get that out of there! Lord, if that gunk gets into the oil passages you could be most unhappy. If there is a leak from that tappet cover, replace the o-ring, then a snug fit is all that's required. PO may have torqued too far and squashed a leak into it.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 03:36:14 pm »
I'd clean that all up underneath the cover a bit more. It would be good to see everything clean and orderly so you can detect issues earlier. A good lubrication and cleaning of that chain would also be advisable. Or replacement, even better. Problem with worn/rusty chains is they break. When they do, they have a tendency to whip around and crack the lower case (imagine 10.00 on the face of the sprocket) and leave you with a much worse and expensive problem.

Get the chain lubed up and de-rusted! then add it to your list of "First things to replace" with a new front sprocket.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 03:38:20 pm »
Exhaust side on cylinder 3, Cal.  The gunk is long gone and the chain inspected. It's nasty and needs to go.

The new chain and sprocket are on order!

Thanks!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2014, 03:46:29 pm »
Here's a picture of the valve cover. The bolt cracked off is outside the seal, so it's possible you may not get a leak there. (pic 1)

Picture 2 is the right side, the "plug" you describe that's weeping oil over #4 intake. Someone less stupid than I will have to tell you what it is or why it's there.

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #34 on: August 21, 2014, 03:49:27 pm »
Here's a picture of the valve cover. The bolt cracked off is outside the seal, so it's possible you may not get a leak there. (pic 1)

Picture 2 is the right side, the "plug" you describe that's weeping oil over #4 intake. Someone less stupid than I will have to tell you what it is or why it's there.

That's good to know, Cal. Only worry would be structural integrity, but that bolt's been gone a while...

I'd hardly classify you as stupid!  :)

Offline Jimsun

• Hot Shot
CB550 Safety inspection didn't go well....
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2014, 05:42:09 pm »
The crack u
Mentioned is to be a place where a phillip head goes to hold the cover to the head if im not mistaken. You may or may not beed it depending if there is a leak or not

If you need a bolt or something let me know. I may be able to help you.

The circle were you think theres a missing bolt is incorrect. Theres suppose to be 2 of those. One on each side by 1&2 and 3&4 re allignment dowels that sits between the head and the cover.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 05:43:58 pm by Jimsun »
74 cb550

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2014, 06:42:00 pm »
Fork seals are easy to change, you don't need no stinkin mechanic.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #37 on: August 21, 2014, 06:53:17 pm »
Is that a crack just to the top slight left of that allen head bolt ?? Blow up pic to see better.

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2014, 08:03:21 am »
That's just crud, ekpent. It had me fooled too!

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2014, 08:06:05 am »
It's not the difficulty, Stev-o, My Delta-9er hath decreed -no more oil/fluids on the garage floor!

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2014, 08:06:59 am »
Thanks Jimsun! Much appreciated!

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2014, 11:10:46 am »
Found the top oil leak!

I thought it was the 'circles' I mentioned earlier. Turns out it's the cover (indicated with the red star) in the picture.  I thoroughly cleaned the head area and then ran the bike. Oil pooling as indicated by the red arrows.

Pulled the cover, saw that there were two lugs with O Rings. The Rings were flattened,  I replaced them, re-tightened the cover and tested her again. Dry as a bone!

On to the next problem...

Peter

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2014, 05:19:26 am »
That's just crud, ekpent. It had me fooled too!
Actually I was alluding to another spot above the phillips screw shown in your pic north of your green arrow but glad you may have solved the leak. On to the next issue eh.

• Honda Meus Optimus!
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2014, 07:14:39 am »
Yep, just more crud - since cleaned. Had 'er out this morning, still no leak. Fingers crossed...

• Honda Meus Optimus!
CB550 Safety inspection didn't go well....
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2014, 02:08:16 pm »
She's D O N E!!!! Passed certification today!
I found a licensed mech who knows old bikes, especially Hondas.
So, final tally is:
-front brake pads, bleed and refill.
-front brake switch fixed (was intermittent) - surprised the other guy didn't catch it...
-front fork seals, clips and fluid.
-didn't need it, but changed the front sprocket and chain. (Better safe than sorry!)
-clutch interlock.
I'm going to expose my dumb-assery here, but I thought pre 1980 bikes didn't require them! Mech said NFW, and fixed it.
Parts&labour Plus cert <$500!!!!
I'm in NYC today, so no ride :(, but I am picking up a NOS CB550 rear brake spline (to replace the CB750 kluge that was on my bike) and a gently used centre stand that I had shipped to relatives here! Gotta love ebay!
Since I was last here, I nailed the oil leak down to the O rings on the lifter covers and the seals on the oil filter.
The seal on the plate directly behind the engine and above the shifter was cracked, I made one with my loctite rig.

So, (as you've probably figured out from the profusion of exclamation marks) I'm a happy camper!!!
Thanks to all concerned for the sage words of wisdom, cogent advice and for reading the whining of a noob about his 'free' 74 CB550!!!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 02:19:07 pm by Peter From Barrie. »

Offline brooze72

• Talk to my friends here at SOHC4 if you need an
  • Expert
« Reply #45 on: September 11, 2014, 03:48:29 pm »
Congrats Peter.  Gotta love having a US address to ship to from fleabay!
2011, 2012 & 2013 Godzilla Relay Rally Rider
"Hold on loosely...don't let go
 If you cling too tightly...you're gonna lose control"
1972 CB500K1 - restored rider
1981 CB650C - new project

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2014, 04:22:11 pm »
In the automotive world we use dye to find pesky leaks. I've had more than my share of hair pulling trying to track down some of them and when you add dye and hit the area with a black light you will find them so easy. They have dye for oil based, coolant, and a-c. I bought a black light on Amazon for $20.....like a mini mag light. Works fantastic. Glad you found and fixed your leak.
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline lucky

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #47 on: September 11, 2014, 04:37:16 pm »
Im not sure how it will hold up with motorcycle vibration. Are you 100% its cracked? Any pictures. I live in toronto and I can give you a spare head cover gasket. I just finished my top end rebuild. Hoping to ride her soon
Many owners on this forum thought they had a crack and it was only a casting imperfection.
Clean it throughly and inspect with a magnifying glass.

Offline albertaboy

• No way I'm a
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #48 on: September 11, 2014, 06:50:30 pm »
I just came across this thread today. Glad you made it through inspection. I too had a safety certification problem here in Alberta.  I took in a then, 35 year old bike that had all the safety components working.  It had years of dirt, minor slow seeping oil leaks that contributed to the dirt, surface rust here and there. It looked old. Anything that was black, was now grey.  Anything shiny was dull.  With that, off to the inspectors I went. 

The "certified inspection facility" told me my alignment was out 3/4 inch. They claimed the frame must be bent.  Could not tell me where the bend was. Could not see any collision damage. They wanted 10 hours labor just as a start to find and fix it.  I went for a second opinion. The second shop telephoned the first one and came back and agreed that the alignment was out 3/4.  I called BS and packed the bike away.  Maybe you could have said the fork seals were leaking. In terms of safety, yes, fork fluid can cause front brake failure, therefore, proof of repair should of given my bike a pass.

3.5 years later, I had done a complete restoration of the bike. I checked the frame with help of the many good members here, restored the bike and proceeded to get a passing inspection just a week ago.  Realize, all I had done in terms of alignment, or frame straightening, would be equal to a super duper, amazing out of this world, spit polish and shine.  Besides fresh paint, fresh fork seals, a clean and painted engine and other polished parts, and suddenly the alignment became straight. All other safety components ie signals, tail brake light, headlight worked as they did before.

One can draw his own conclusions.
1975 CB750K
No where to go and all day to get there.
My build thread: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=131424.0

Offline Jimsun

• Hot Shot
« Reply #49 on: September 11, 2014, 07:08:30 pm »

Im not sure how it will hold up with motorcycle vibration. Are you 100% its cracked? Any pictures. I live in toronto and I can give you a spare head cover gasket. I just finished my top end rebuild. Hoping to ride her soon
Many owners on this forum thought they had a crack and it was only a casting imperfection.
Clean it throughly and inspect with a magnifying glass.
after he posted the pics it was 100% imperfection an not a crack. I stated the above because he did say there was oil seeping out through the area
74 cb550