Author Topic: Metal Pieces In Oil  (Read 3992 times)

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
Re: Metal Pieces In Oil
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2014, 03:17:50 pm »
Bill Benton eh? Ok I'll check him out. Is he a member?

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 03:23:15 pm »
Yes, and he has the motherload of stashes of parts in very good condition.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 03:54:06 pm »
Ok cool, thanks Calj. Do you think I should just go ahead and replace the whole tranny or just that gear? Obviously determined by what else I find broken in there when I get it apart.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2014, 04:39:10 pm »
It's probably easiest to replace the whole trans, then it's a plop it in kind of repair, opposed to disassembling the trans and assembling back again.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Online seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »
That bigger chunk is a shift dog that has broken off one of the gears.  It probably got jammed between something spinning and shredded some metal making the shavings.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 06:35:54 pm »

That bigger chunk is a shift dog that has broken off one of the gears.  It probably got jammed between something spinning and shredded some metal making the shavings.

Sounds like I'll really have to go through this thing to make sure there isn't much damage done by that dog...or b!tch may be more like it.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2014, 06:41:04 pm »
So in my naivety I thought this splitting the cases thing wasn't a huge deal. But it's a serious undertaking, am I right? I'm going to be needing a complete gasket set, new crank bearings, rotor puller, new head bolts, etc. Pistons have to be removed and pretty much the entire engine disassembled. No?

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2014, 07:00:57 pm »
It's only serious in that you do it properly, and reassemble properly. Gasket set, yes. New bearings, not usually, but your might be damaged. Rotor puller, there are some DIY tricks (use the search function). New head bolts, not necessarily either. Pistons can stay connected to the rods, rods get separated. Mark their original position, and return them to it.

Don't be overly intimidated. Tons of threads on here how mere mortals have very successfully rebuilt engines with little expereience, little in the way of tools, and in their backyard. Take heaps of pictures, read the manual ahead of each step, and be very organized when disassembling the portions. Keep lots of baggies, Tupperware bins, and Sharpies for marking their location.

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2014, 07:07:30 pm »
So in my naivety I thought this splitting the cases thing wasn't a huge deal. But it's a serious undertaking, am I right? I'm going to be needing a complete gasket set, new crank bearings, rotor puller, new head bolts, etc. Pistons have to be removed and pretty much the entire engine disassembled. No?

---
1978 Honda CB550K
The motor doesn't need to be entirely disassembled to repair the trans; no need to pull the head, pistons, crank etc. 
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2014, 07:19:27 pm »
Another thing to throw in the mix...my head gasket has some  oil seepage around it. Hard to tell how much it's leaking as I haven't actually ridden it too much. Does this seem like one of those "since you're in there you might as well..." scenarios?

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Online scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2014, 07:44:06 pm »
Another thing to throw in the mix...my head gasket has some  oil seepage around it. Hard to tell how much it's leaking as I haven't actually ridden it too much. Does this seem like one of those "since you're in there you might as well..." scenarios?

---
1978 Honda CB550K
Seems more like one of those "don't fix it if it ain't broke" scenarios to me. ;)
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2014, 08:13:53 pm »

---
1978 Honda CB550K
Seems more like one of those "don't fix it if it ain't broke" scenarios to me. ;)

Ha, right on. Thanks guys. I'll probably be posting questions as I go if I don't find an answer from searching.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2014, 11:33:52 pm »
Don't despair Dave, 4 weeks ago i had exactly the same with my daily rider CBR1000F,lost second and third gear while heading for work.
Just a little  clunk while accelerating and gone, luckily i had 4 gears left to continue,
I'll get some pics when i get out of bed, it's sundaymorning 8.30 here.... :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:35:56 pm by robvangulik »

Online seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2014, 11:52:30 pm »

---
1978 Honda CB550K
I would just find a whole new engine then, these things don't rebuild all that cheap or easily.  They are not small block chevy's.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline robvangulik

• Honda Fourever
  • Expert
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2014, 12:31:47 am »
So, I'm at the PC now, not the tablet as before.
Took me 3 evenings, and a transmission I had as a spare, I ride these cbr's for more than 20 years, so I have a good stash of parts (and have been in there several times).
As you can see I left the top end alone, and apart from whatever I paid for the tranny long ago (won't be much) didn't cost any money, just (a lot of ) work.
  I can guarantee you that liquid cooled 24valve DOHC engine is a lot heavier than a CB550 :'(
But it runs again with all the gears it is supposed to have, so totally worth the trouble!

Offline trueblue

• A person who has had many interesting experiences, some of which are true, is known as an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2014, 01:08:57 am »
Yup, trans bits from the gears. No option now but to pull it and separate the cases. Bill Benton might have a new trans he can sell you at a reasonable price.
+1 on what Cal said.  Looks to me like one of the dogs that engage the gears has parted company.  Definitely needs the cases splitting to fix.  Bet you're glad that you didn't just keep riding it now.   :-\
1979 CB650Z
Nothing can be idiot proofed, the world keeps producing better idiots.
Electronic Guages for your SOHC 4

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2014, 01:36:12 am »
ugg,bit of a bummer,id do the top end as far as decoking and re lap valves aswell,you can just split the bottom end though,if you take apart the entire engine plan A becomes plan B real quick,which =money.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2014, 04:37:42 am »
Thanks robvangulik. Maybe not as bad as I thought. Different motor, I know, but still doesn't seem as bad. Learning experience to say the least.

Right now it's just finding a transmission. Out a message into one if the guys from the forum but looking on eBay I'm seeing transmissions for under $100.

Yeah, now I'm really happy I didn't just ride it. But I have no idea when this happened. I never felt anything weird and all gears were smooth. It might have happened during my little accident but it also could have been there from the PO. But this thing only has 9,000 miles on it. So far carbs were toast and transmission too.

Thanks everyone. This forum rocks. I want to buy you all beers.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2014, 04:39:08 am »

ugg,bit of a bummer,id do the top end as far as decoking and re lap valves aswell,you can just split the bottom end though,if you take apart the entire engine plan A becomes plan B real quick,which =money.

I'll look into that, but money is an issue, haha. I'll make the decision when I get it all on the bench.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2014, 04:41:27 am »
If you're budget has the room, do it all once, and properly then go forward and enjoy. These bikes need enough annual tinkering to keep you busy without having to do repeated minor surgeries and stall your riding enjoyment.