Author Topic: Expensive sounding noise in gearbox?  (Read 676 times)

Offline kingrabbit

• Half-Assed Wrench
Expensive sounding noise in gearbox?
« on: August 30, 2014, 06:44:45 pm »
This one can be read in connection to my earlier post from a few hours ago "HauTnted Starter..."

Basically the bike (a 74 CB550K ) which has previously been reliable has developed a loud mechanical cracking sound as I try and start up.
Earlier today the starter would not disengage even after I hit the kill switch and pulled the key.

Anyway I recharged the batt and am trying to fire up again.
If I hit the starter the bike turns over and after a few seconds a loud mechanical snapping sound comes from the gearbox area.
When I kick it over it will generate the same noise every 4 or 5 kicks.
What could it be and what is my next move to narrow this down?

'74 CB 550K
'75 CB 750F
'73 XLH 1000

Donny

Offline kingrabbit

• Half-Assed Wrench
Re: Expensive sounding noise in gearbox?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 06:57:00 pm »
I should have asked earlier could adjusting the points gap and valves cause this somehow? I did that immediately before this problem started.
Could a dodgy oil pump cause this? I replaced the oil pump switch recently. It seemed to be working fine for the past 6 weeks or so since then.
'74 CB 550K
'75 CB 750F
'73 XLH 1000

Donny

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 07:05:47 pm »
No to your questions. This is not related to the oil pump or the points/valves. It's the starter clutch spindle thingy.... Hoping Dave500 will chime in here and give you the exact description and resolution. He's much smarter and far better at the internals of the gearbox.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 08:31:01 pm »
if its making the noise even with the kicker that bypasses the starter clutch drive,it might be locked up though and turning as you kick?you might drop the pan first and have a look?see if theres any metal pieces?if you remove the starter motor the big gear you see inside should turn one way only and feel smooth,id have a look at that.

Offline kingrabbit

• Half-Assed Wrench
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2014, 04:27:39 am »
Thanks good people!!
'74 CB 550K
'75 CB 750F
'73 XLH 1000

Donny