Author Topic: Question on carbs and rearsets  (Read 1310 times)

Offline jalfonso

• Enthusiast
Question on carbs and rearsets
« on: September 26, 2006, 07:47:10 am »
Hello Everyone.  Before I go any further I just want to say that I looked through the gallery and there are some really great bikes out there.  The transformations are incredible!  I hope you don't mind if I "borrow" some of your ideas.

I had sold my 550 to a friend of mine, for his wife to ride, and as luck would have it I'm in the process of buying it back (although my wife isn't not happy).  I've decided turn it into a really nice cafe racer. I have just a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.  The first question is on carbs.  I read where other owners have put 750 carbs on their 550s.  I have a 74 550, is there a specific year that would work best with my model or would the carbs off a 74 750 work well?  The second question is about rear sets.  I plan on putting on some clubman bars but I know I'm going to need some rear sets to make the riding position a little more comfortable.   What types should I start keeping an eye out for?  And lastly, (for now), I saw some really nice four into one exhaust systems.  What brands do you recommend.  I know of the MAC exhaust systems but I haven't really been that impressed with them.  A friend has a MAC on his custom and it sounds kinda tinny.

I'm in the process of restoring my V65 Sabre so I won't be starting the cafe project until the Sabre is complete, but it's never too early to start adding to the parts bin! ;)

Also, I live out in Mesa, Arizona so if there are any members out this way, pm me and we'll do a breakfast ride to the Marina at Canyon Lake.

Thanks for the help and Ride Safe.

John Alfonso
1974 CB550 Four
1982 750F Super Sport

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
Re: Question on carbs and rearsets
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2006, 07:54:45 am »
I read where other owners have put 750 carbs on their 550s.  I have a 74 550, is there a specific year that would work best with my model or would the carbs off a 74 750 work well?

Is it possible? Yes.  Is it easy...I'd guess no.  I've "heard" of it being done too, but not reliably.  Unless someone steps up and says yea I've done it, heres how to do it, I'd stick with the stock 550 carbs.

plan on putting on some clubman bars but I know I'm going to need some rear sets to make the riding position a little more comfortable.   What types should I start keeping an eye out for?

I'm not familiar with any off the shelf rear sets for 550's.  Doesn't mean they are not out there.  Most everywhere I see them, people have fabbed up their own.

I saw some really nice four into one exhaust systems.  What brands do you recommend.  I know of the MAC exhaust systems but I haven't really been that impressed with them.  A friend has a MAC on his custom and it sounds kinda tinny.

MAC is considered ghetto exhaust, but for the price I don't turn my nose up at it.  Can't go wrong with Kerker, but u'll pay for it, twice what u'll pay for MAC.

I'm in the process of buying it back (although my wife isn't not happy).

Is the wife ever happy about anything related to bikes?   :-X
----------
"I'm not a welder, but I play one on HondaChopper.com"

Offline jalfonso

• Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 11:38:45 am »
Thanks for the reply Lumbee! 

The reason I was looking at 750 carbs is because of the jetting.  It already has pod filters on it and I plan on putting a different exhaust system on the bike.  I just figured I would need to rejet the bike but I was told by my local Honda dealer that I can't get anything other than the stock push in jets for my 550.  I was thinking that if I could make the carbs off a 750 work I would have an easier time rejetting the bike.  Maybe my logic is flawed!

I may end of going with a MAC but I'm definitely going to keep my eyes open for other options. 

As far as my wife goes she hates my bikes but I've just learned to live with it.  Selective hearing can be fine tuned to an art form! ;D

Thanks again for the response.

Ride Safe.
John Alfonso
1974 CB550 Four
1982 750F Super Sport

Offline Lumbee

• Expert
    • My pics...
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 12:01:14 pm »
...u'r local honda dealer don't know jack...I'm running pods on my 550, and am jetted at 120 I think...check out...

http://www.crc2onlinecatalog.com/misc_carb_parts.htm

...about half way down the page u'll see the keihin press in jets...however if u'r running pods now, it should already be rejetted.  I'd pull the carbs and see what its jetted at, or if its running good, don't sweat it.  I'd wait til you get u'r exhaust and get it installed, then see how the bike runs, you may not need to rejet due to an exhaust change.  Changing the intake requires rejetting more so than changing the exhuast does...
----------
"I'm not a welder, but I play one on HondaChopper.com"

Offline cafehonda

• Enthusiast
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2006, 03:22:47 pm »
About rearsets: try www.discovolantemoto.com
Anger is an energy. May the road rise with you.
73 cb750 cafe

Offline jalfonso

• Enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2006, 08:22:51 pm »
Thanks for the information guys! 
John Alfonso
1974 CB550 Four
1982 750F Super Sport