Author Topic: for forks sake  (Read 682 times)

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
for forks sake
« on: August 29, 2014, 06:30:47 pm »
Hi I have a 73 cb750.
I'm not sure which fork lowers to use. The short or longer ones.
Does it make a difference
Thanks for any help
Scott

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
Re: for forks sake
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 07:06:44 pm »
Hey Scott, the longer lowers appear to be from a K7-K8, if that helps.
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline bjbuchanan

• Master
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 10:09:29 pm »
Longer is better because you can run a fork brace in the future. Longer is post k6
The dirty girl-1976 cb750k, Ebay 836, Tracy bodykit
Round top carbs w/ 38 pilots, middle needle position, airscrew 7/8ths out, 122 main jet
Stock airbox w/ drop in K&N, Hooker 4-1

Don't trust me alone with a claw hammer and some pliers

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2014, 12:11:23 am »
Yep the longer ones were used on the F/F1, K7 and K8. Rex Wolfendon (TRex Racing) used the later ones on his race bikes as he could install a fork brace, and believed that the longer lowers reduced fork flex. You can use the 1973-on fork tubes and springs etc with them, I had them on my K1 with a fork brace before I swapped them out for GL1000 forks. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 12:31:44 pm »
Alright sounds good thanks.
Next question is the fork tubes (chrome tube) seem to a different internal diameter, as in the bottom of the fork tube where the dampening thing with the anti bottoming spring goes through.
Is there a better one to use?
If I order new fork tubes I need to order the ones that suit the better type of fork internals as I have both types.
Thanks heaps for any thoughts
Scott

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 06:13:27 pm »
You might be able to still find OEM tubes, or very close replicas from places like David Silver Spares in Britain or Yamiya in Japan mate, but they're expensive.

I bought some tubes from Cycle X in the US and they worked fine, and were a lot cheaper than OEM, but I can't remember if there were any differences with internal diameters like you've mentioned?

I'm thinking that maybe you've got some "odd" tubes off a different bike, as pretty much any 35mm fork tubes can be made to fit your forks. Be aware that the '69-72 tubes are totally different to yours, and won't work with your alloy lowers. Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2014, 11:24:37 am »
Thanks Terry
I've got a K2 that I did the forks on a couple of years ago and remember them being different and then confirmed that with Hondamans photos in his book.
I might try ringing Cycle X, they say on the web site they are out of stock at the moment.
I'll pull the insides of my forks out again and put up a photo for interest sake
Scott

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2014, 11:50:04 am »
Damper rod thing

Offline Scott

• 72 CB750
  • Expert
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2014, 11:51:29 am »
Chrome fork tube

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2014, 12:56:55 am »
Geez that's weird mate, the one on the left with the necked down damper rod looks like a stocker, but that fat one on the right doesn't look like any CB750 damper rod I've seen before. I wonder what it's off? I've had every model CB750 forks in bits at one time or another, but have never seen a damper rod like that before. Cheers, Terry. ;D