Author Topic: Patina Hyena - 550/650 674cc Hybrid Cafe Build  (Read 340389 times)

Offline Vinhead1957

• Expert
Re: Patina Hyena - Dave's '78 CB550K Cafe Build Thread
« Reply #325 on: December 17, 2014, 03:53:30 pm »
That would not be a good mechanical connection solder would hold it some what. There has to be a butt splice connector out there available for that sized  wire. A sleeve with Allen screws would hold better. We need an electricians solution. I replaced starter and all

Offline oldhatt45

• The person called in at the last minute to share the blame is the...
  • Expert
  • Just an Old Guy that's gone to the Dogs
« Reply #326 on: December 17, 2014, 03:56:09 pm »
Dave,

There are 2 basic things to remember in dealing with electrical connections.
Mechanical Strength and Electrical Strength.
Solder, contrary to popular belief does not provide Mechanical Strength.  It provides electrical strength.
A Crimp or bolt through 2 ends if done correctly provides the mechanical and possibly the electrical strength.

If you just solder the connection, and then the current handled goes up, so does the heat of the conductor.
If high enough for long enough, solder will melt.

Charlie

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #327 on: December 17, 2014, 05:50:08 pm »
I did mention a crimp, so I guess that would provide the mechanical connection. I guess it is as easy at using a crimping butt splice connector. Almost all other posts I saw people were saying it's not a good solution. I don't really see why, though. I was hoping a butt connector would work just fine. If I can find one with allen grub screws then that'd be even better.

Thanks guys

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #328 on: December 20, 2014, 09:36:51 am »
Did the butt connector. Seemed to work just fine. Here are a couple soldered connections I made. Ground wire and the joint from the starter to solenoid. Thanks for the help. Now just a matter of connecting all my wires.

Ground wire frame lug.

Don't have a crimper but I smashed it in my vice and hit it with a punch and hammer. Felt very strong. I also made sure the wire ends are touching each other then filled with solder.

Heatshrinked (heatshrunk?)

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #329 on: December 20, 2014, 09:53:52 am »
Dave,

To me it sounds (& looks) like you made a good connection.
Mechanical & Electrical!

Charlie

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #330 on: December 20, 2014, 10:41:01 am »

Dave,

To me it sounds (& looks) like you made a good connection.
Mechanical & Electrical!

Charlie

Oh good, haha. Thanks Charlie!

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #331 on: December 22, 2014, 04:24:41 am »
Finished the wiring. There will be a top to this box made out of black ABS plastic. I do think it looks a little like a rats nest...I could try to shorten the wires so there's not that much slack but I didn't want anything to be taught. All I have to do is get rubber battery and starter terminal boots. Anyone have a good resource for them that have different angles and such?

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #332 on: December 26, 2014, 12:54:21 pm »
Made a new seat latching mechanism and rolled the bike out on Christmas to take a couple pictures. Pretty cool to see how a bike progresses and to know that I did a lot of work myself. In terms of both engine work and aesthetics. Here's how it is right now.

Also, any posts about grandmas on cafe racers? Haha

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #333 on: December 26, 2014, 03:36:20 pm »
Dave,
Bike is looking Good.
Grandma looks like she's up for stylin' on the 550 :)
But the problem is, as i'm sure she told you, that the bike needs rear-sets, cause the current position is not too comfortable. :)

Charlie

Offline Tews19

• I am no
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #334 on: December 26, 2014, 04:41:40 pm »
That picture of grandma is awesome!
1969 Honda CB750... Basket case
1970 Honda CB750 survivor.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #335 on: December 26, 2014, 09:50:21 pm »
Thanks guys, haha. And yes, Charlie, rear sets are in the future! Plan on making a custom set from scratch not unlike the rear sets that the builder Kott makes for his bikes. Simple, clean and unobtrusive.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #336 on: December 27, 2014, 06:06:38 am »
Dave,
I think you just made Grandma Happy!
Merry Christmas and That's a Picture you really need to Frame!!!!

Charlie

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #337 on: December 27, 2014, 06:08:25 am »
Please remind Grandma, to always wear a helmet! Love the cane leaning against the bars. That could be a cool set of bars for a pensioner: replace the forks with canes! Easier to hold
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #338 on: December 27, 2014, 02:04:33 pm »
Maybe even put tennis balls on the bar ends or on the bottom of the forks to finish off the look, haha.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #339 on: December 27, 2014, 02:06:58 pm »
These are the rear sets that I'm going to somewhat replicate. At least the concept. Anyone know exactly how the peg is secured to the plate as to let the lever move freely?

Could buy them from Kott but $400 is a little steep for me. Although I'd love to have some of his work on my bike.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #340 on: December 27, 2014, 02:58:31 pm »
Usually the peg is threaded internally and screw/bolt comes in from backside. There's a bushing between peg and heel plate to allow peg to spin as needed. Pretty simple. I have a similar set at home not installed I can deconstruct to show you some pics if needed.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #341 on: December 27, 2014, 03:02:06 pm »
Fuzzy Dice hanging from the Forks would do it.  :))

Whaat calj737 said. 
As far as how the peg are secured to the plates, it looks like there is a brass or maybe bronze bushing between the plate and the moving parts.  If so then it would likely be a bolt (maybe stainless) going through the whole thing.  It appears as though the foot peg part is hollow, so it could have been done like that.

This is just a guess based on the picture, but maybe.

Charlie

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #342 on: December 27, 2014, 07:31:02 pm »

As far as how the peg are secured to the plates, it looks like there is a brass or maybe bronze bushing between the plate and the moving parts.  If so then it would likely be a bolt (maybe stainless) going through the whole thing.  It appears as though the foot peg part is hollow, so it could have been done like that.

This is just a guess based on the picture, but maybe.

Charlie

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. Just trying to figure out what the easiest, strongest and most practical way of doing it would be. When I come up with something I'll report back.

Thanks

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #343 on: December 27, 2014, 07:41:49 pm »

Usually the peg is threaded internally and screw/bolt comes in from backside. There's a bushing between peg and heel plate to allow peg to spin as needed. Pretty simple. I have a similar set at home not installed I can deconstruct to show you some pics if needed.

Totally missed this post. I think I got it but if you're so inclined to deconstruct your set it could only help. I have seen these pegs before and as far as I know they are not threaded. A bolt goes from the outside into the bike. Same concept I'd imagine. I would just need to tap the plate.

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #344 on: December 28, 2014, 03:36:39 am »
It's threaded from one direction or the other. Either the bolt enters from behind the plate and threads into the sleeve that the peg is attached to, or, the bolt threads from the peg side into the plate. The way the pegs are chamfered underneath, suggests the bolt might come from outside in. The bronze bushings are there to allow the linkage plate to operate without binding or galling. Probably its a 3 piece unit, with 2 bushing: the plate with a sleeve attached, the bushing pushed onto that sleeve, an outer linkage sleeve, bushing, then the peg.

I'd bet the operate like butter with those bushings. The sets I have are very smooth because of the bushings, but they are also able to be indexed (rotating the linkage clockwise to achieve best alignment). Not as elegant a design as Kott's, but same functional pieces.

Two other obsessions about that picture: the units shown are "upside down". The toe pegs indicate this. The unit on the right is the brake side, and the unit on the left is the shifter side. The pegs are smaller for shifting. The other observation is the long shifter rod doesn't show a thread on one end. I wonder how you would attach the rod end to it?

I'm sure the orientation of these doesn't matter, and that its all for "presentation" not illustrative for installation. But it's not an observation...

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #345 on: December 28, 2014, 05:21:28 am »
It's threaded from one direction or the other. Either the bolt enters from behind the plate and threads into the sleeve that the peg is attached to, or, the bolt threads from the peg side into the plate. The way the pegs are chamfered underneath, suggests the bolt might come from outside in. The bronze bushings are there to allow the linkage plate to operate without binding or galling. Probably its a 3 piece unit, with 2 bushing: the plate with a sleeve attached, the bushing pushed onto that sleeve, an outer linkage sleeve, bushing, then the peg.

I'd bet the operate like butter with those bushings. The sets I have are very smooth because of the bushings, but they are also able to be indexed (rotating the linkage clockwise to achieve best alignment). Not as elegant a design as Kott's, but same functional pieces.

Two other obsessions about that picture: the units shown are "upside down". The toe pegs indicate this. The unit on the right is the brake side, and the unit on the left is the shifter side. The pegs are smaller for shifting. The other observation is the long shifter rod doesn't show a thread on one end. I wonder how you would attach the rod end to it?

I'm sure the orientation of these doesn't matter, and that its all for "presentation" not illustrative for installation. But it's not an observation...

I noticed those two things too. This picture is just a picture and not, as you said, an illustrative for installation.

The only thing I'll have to spend more time thinking about is how the first sleeve is attached to the plate. But...as I type this it doesn't have to be attached. The bolt, once tightened, will hold it all in place. Never mind, haha, figured it out.

I'll post my set once I build them. Already ordered the pegs.
Thanks guys

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #346 on: December 28, 2014, 12:25:52 pm »

Started the rebuild of my swingarm. Just removed it and about to remove the existing bushings. Are these plastic? I have bronze replacements off Ebay. Just want to make sure I'm going about this smartly. I'm planning on removing number 8 and replacing with my new bushings. I've heard that I won't need to use the dust seal, any truth to that? Or will I just have to see if I have enough clearance once I get it together?

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #347 on: December 29, 2014, 06:33:16 am »
I've been doing more swing arm reading. I have the newer single zerk fitting in the center of the swing arm. I saw Hondaman saying that that style is hard to grease and doesn't grease very well when you do it. I'm thinking I want to upgrade to the older style of zerk fittings on the ends. How can I do this? How far do I need to drill into the bolt? Just to the groove for the bushings? Something like 1.5" or whatever it is? Then I assume tap it and thread in the zerk. Not too hard. Just wondering if I'm right in the depth that I need to drill. I also assume that I need to drill in the groove to meet up to that hole I drill from the ends. So in the end I have a 90° grease gallery that goes from the ends of the bolt down into the grease groove. This make sense?

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #348 on: December 29, 2014, 09:10:03 am »
Ok, seems like there's more to this than meets the eye. I just read this post by Hondaman: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=29369 (I take it it transpires to the 550 as well.)

I'm looking for the older style pivot collar but they're pretty expensive. Cheapest one I saw was $70. New is over $100. Is there no way I can modify my current collar? As for the bolt, I don't have a drill press or lathe, only normal hand drill...and not sure if my bits will be long enough. Maybe I could get an older pivot bolt and modify my current collar?

---
1978 Honda CB550K

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #349 on: December 29, 2014, 11:03:13 am »
Holy swingarm research.

I see I can get a complete swingarm off Ebay from a number of different year 550's. Are these a direct swap? Can I mix and match parts? Such as just using the collar and bolt from an earlier year on my '78? I've been looking around and can't seem to find an answer to that question.

---
1978 Honda CB550K