Author Topic: Patina Hyena - 550/650 674cc Hybrid Cafe Build  (Read 340604 times)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Patina Hyena - Dave's '78 CB550K Cafe Build Thread
« Reply #1000 on: September 21, 2015, 05:34:18 am »
Shoot a picture of your right side bars- I'm curious how yours is assembled.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1001 on: September 21, 2015, 05:42:47 am »
Will do when I get a chance. But it's as close to the throttle as possible. I think it's just bridging the gap of the throttle perch while wearing gloves which is the problem.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1002 on: September 21, 2015, 06:33:12 pm »

Shoot a picture of your right side bars- I'm curious how yours is assembled.

Here are a couple pictures.

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #1003 on: September 21, 2015, 08:34:46 pm »
Does your hand not hit that mirror when you twist the throttle hard?
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline RAFster122s

• I feel like a really really
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1004 on: September 21, 2015, 08:37:21 pm »
That's a big gap between the grip and the m-button. No wonder why it is a stretch to reach keeping your hand on brakes or throttle.  I would move the horn to the left side personally, I think it would be safer when you want to blow the horn and brake & downshift.

David
David- back in the desert SW!

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1005 on: September 22, 2015, 05:02:40 am »

Does your hand not hit that mirror when you twist the throttle hard?

Nope, it does look close but my hand has more than enough space to move unimpeded.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1006 on: September 22, 2015, 05:09:41 am »

That's a big gap between the grip and the m-button. No wonder why it is a stretch to reach keeping your hand on brakes or throttle.  I would move the horn to the left side personally, I think it would be safer when you want to blow the horn and brake & downshift.

David

Ok good. Glad you said that it looks far. Maybe for a size reference I should have taken a shot with my gloved hand on it, oh well.

I guess it's a trade off...I want high/low and turn signals to have easy access. Start/kill isn't as important while I'm riding so that's good on the right. Horn is also important but it'll have to go on the right as well.

I'll just have to test the new setup out and see how it works. Simple as that.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #1007 on: September 22, 2015, 05:22:51 am »
The only thing I'd caution you against putting the horn on the right side is, virtually all bikes have the horn switch on the left. When you move that function, it can be unnatural to operate it when suddenly necessary. Just give that a think-through.

Personally, I basically never use my horn on a motorcycle. It is my opinion that using a horn in a panic situation creates more likelihood of a crash (the driver suddenly brakes, right in your way) than it prevents. I tend to steer around the problem, or brake to avoid, then ride away muttering under my breath. The only time I use a horn in my vehicles is when someone begins entering my lane of traffic, from the side, and when I have no option to move out of harms way. With the sound-proffness of cars these days, it seems to take an 18-horn bugle brigade to even get anyones attention anymore.

As for your controls, as long as you can reach the essentials, put them where they can be reached. Or grow some man hands!  :-*

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1008 on: September 22, 2015, 06:33:49 am »
I subscribe to the same way of thinking regarding the horn. But obviously there are times when it's really important to use it...hot girls on the road that I want to make uncomfortable being one.

I had a female friend measure my hand and I took a picture. Yeah, it's a little small but not really. I wonder why these controls are hard to operate.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #1009 on: September 22, 2015, 06:46:40 am »
You know what they say about the size of your hands relative to other appendages... Sorry for your girlfriend unless that is she in the picture?

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1010 on: September 22, 2015, 06:58:29 am »
I have one of the air horns for my bike, haven't installed it yet. It is one of the loudest out there.
the tone is piercing and unlike typical horns. I used to have Hella air horns on one of my cars, it had the dual trumpets and it got one's attention as well.

David

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1011 on: September 22, 2015, 07:45:03 am »

You know what they say about the size of your hands relative to other appendages... Sorry for your girlfriend unless that is she in the picture?

We make it work, haha.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1012 on: September 22, 2015, 07:45:40 am »

I have one of the air horns for my bike, haven't installed it yet. It is one of the loudest out there.
the tone is piercing and unlike typical horns. I used to have Hella air horns on one of my cars, it had the dual trumpets and it got one's attention as well.

David

Get yourself one of these if you really want to be heard.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1013 on: September 27, 2015, 09:45:31 am »
So I finally have time to change the switch positions.  But CRAP, one of the little tiny baby screws for the terminal broke off while I was tightening it. Anyone know what size these things are and what thread pitch?

I'm measuring 1.5mm in thickness (M1.5) and 3mm in length not including head. I see these can come in various thread pitches.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1014 on: September 27, 2015, 04:42:27 pm »
Did it appear to be coarse thread or fine thread? Was it the head of the screw or terminal?
I would disassemble the switch from the wires and take it to the hardware store where I could match it.
If the screw head broke then I would first get the old screw out. A drop of superglue with most of it wiped off on an allen wrench would be a way to tack it to the screw that is there. But, if you sheared the head that probably won't work.  A micro sized drill bit might give you a hole where you can get it to back out.
If you have steady hands and a fine cutoff wheel in a dremel could slot the screw but you are going to cut into the screw boss where the screw taps into the switch.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1015 on: September 27, 2015, 05:41:47 pm »
Thanks Dave, I don't have a hardware store close by that carries screws that small. I could find a place though.

I will try a tiny reverse drill bit. I'm sure that'll work. BUT I'm considering leaving it. For these terminals the head is doing nothing once it's installed. The screw tip is bottoming out on the wire ferrule and not the head bottoming out on the terminal post if that makes sense. They could have just as easily been Allen set screws without a pan head.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1016 on: September 27, 2015, 11:46:13 pm »
If it is making good connection you could  clip the wire and use it as a solder point if the wires need moved. Just need to keep it viable by not work hardening the wire causing it to break.
David

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1017 on: September 28, 2015, 04:21:23 am »

If it is making good connection you could  clip the wire and use it as a solder point if the wires need moved. Just need to keep it viable by not work hardening the wire causing it to break.
David

Yeah true, I could do that if push comes to shove. But I put an email in to Motogadget, maybe they can help.

Cal, these terminals are fragile as hell!

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #1018 on: September 28, 2015, 04:32:31 am »
I'm surprised with Doll hands, you could muster enough strength to shear it  :o :o :o

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1019 on: September 28, 2015, 05:00:57 am »

I'm surprised with Doll hands, you could muster enough strength to shear it  :o :o :o

I had my brother do it. He's more of a 'Ken'.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #1020 on: September 28, 2015, 05:10:08 am »
I noticed you used the ferrules inside those terminals. I suspect that is where we differed. I simply tinned the wire end, then clamped on it. I think those M3 screws. I'd leave it be. If you do ever need to remove that screw, yank the ferrule out and it might create enough wiggle room to turn the screw shank out.

Tell Ken to go easy next time. I'd hate to see how he man-handles Barbie  ::)

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1021 on: September 28, 2015, 05:23:59 am »

I noticed you used the ferrules inside those terminals. I suspect that is where we differed. I simply tinned the wire end, then clamped on it. I think those M3 screws. I'd leave it be. If you do ever need to remove that screw, yank the ferrule out and it might create enough wiggle room to turn the screw shank out.

Tell Ken to go easy next time. I'd hate to see how he man-handles Barbie  ::)

Yeah I just tinned the wire the first time. When I moved around the switches I thought why not. I like the little bell mouth the ferrule has to reduce stress. I'll see what happens when/if I want to remove the switch.

I won't cry domestic abuse, but if hard plastic bruised more easily I'd have to wear longer sleeves.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1022 on: October 01, 2015, 10:40:03 am »
Dammit! Haha, dead battery! 9 volts. And I was just going to go to the DMV to register my new truck. I guess I'll charge it up and check that the reg/rec is charging the battery.

Offline DaveBarbier

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #1023 on: October 01, 2015, 12:07:32 pm »
Hmm, blown fuse for the reg/rec... It's a 15 amp fuse. So it obviously wasn't charging the battery. Do you guys think the 15 amp fuse is too little for this? I know there isn't a fuse in place on the stock system. Maybe the battery is drawing too much?

Here is in updated wiring diagram for anyone who's interested.

Offline RAFster122s

• Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC4 member # 2605
« Reply #1024 on: October 01, 2015, 01:47:06 pm »
I think that 15A is a little undersized,  I would go with a 20A. What is the reg/rec rated at?

At least you have found a issue, just need to figure out the cause of it blowing.  Recharge the battery and consider installing a voltage monitoring LED. There's a 5mm voltage monitoring LED or it can be configured to measure charge current that I picked up on eBay.  I am forgetting the exact name.  Bright something. ..
It works well and is reliable.  I bought it for my CX500. The charging system can fail on those bikes, and is commonly used by several CX & GL owners on the CX & GL forum members.  It is multicolored indicator.
David