Author Topic: New to me CB550, cut head off oil filter bolt, still stuck  (Read 582 times)

Offline theinvisiblecity

New to me CB550, cut head off oil filter bolt, still stuck
« on: September 03, 2014, 12:51:48 pm »
Hi all. Didn't really want my first post to me a tech question but alas, I need some help.

I'm well aware of the stuck oil filter bolts on these bikes. After going through all the motions from reading through the threads on the subject, I finally resorted to cutting off the head. But the bolt is solid, so cutting off the head did nothing. Am I supposed to cut off the ENTIRE head as opposed to just the hex "nut", and if so how do I do that without completely mutilating the filter housing?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: New to me CB550, cut head off oil filter bolt, still stuck
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 01:07:24 pm »
Can you garb the edge of the flange with vise grips? If so, crank down good and tight, and a quick tap counter-clockwise will generally break it free.

Else, Dremel a slot into the remaining portion and use a large bladed screwdriver.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline dgedinyte

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 02:24:40 pm »
This sucks. Happened to me a while back and after many attempts, I used a dremel to cut the flange off then slipped the filter and housing over the end. Just used channel locks to get it out at that point. Course the trick is to cut the flange off without destroying the housing.
Sometimes it takes pain to shed the light of wisdom and understanding on things that the vision of knowledge itself would never have allowed us to see.

Offline theinvisiblecity

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 02:46:26 pm »
Tried everything before resorting to cutting it off. Vice grips, pipe wrench, smaller socket hammered on. Basically went through all the forums and tried everything minus tricks involving welding. Finally gave up and cut it off because it sounded like a sure thing....but still stuck. Gonna keep at it.

Offline ekpent

• Really Old Timer ...
  • To many bikes-but lookin' for more
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 06:22:48 pm »
If you have gone that far you now need to get nasty and cut off that round flange and probably mutilate the housing if there is nothing to grip. Good news is the housings are still around, probably somebody here can set you up or E-bay. Hopefully somebody before you did not cross thread the bolt like another recent thread here that could possibly  cause damage to your main case. Tread carefully Grasshopper    ;)

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:24:07 pm »
Weld a 3/8 drive socket to it, never round off again..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline theinvisiblecity

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 05:42:48 am »
Got it off! I just had to get real serious with the grinder and take it down. Chopped up the housing a little bit but not too bad at all - nothing I can't live with. Already put back together with the new bolt and added a little anti-seize to the back of the flange to prevent this happening again. Thanks for the tips!

-M

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2014, 05:51:11 am »
Actually, the end of the threads into the case is where you need AS. Dissimilar metals in contact is what causes the corrosion. Also, just snug it when tightening. Many POs cranked them on to stop a seeping leak and cause more damage than curing.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis