Author Topic: Help needed. CB500 petcock leak  (Read 571 times)

Offline RatBikeRandy

• Enthusiast
  • Yes I Can
Help needed. CB500 petcock leak
« on: September 07, 2014, 10:18:20 am »
My petcock was allowing fuel to flow in the off position.  Replaced the 4 hole rubber packing with a new Honda part and it still flows in the off position almost as much as the on position.  I'm stumped!

Everything looks OK, the spring/wave washer still looks good.  I  have it in the correct order (rubber packing, petcock lever, spring washer, outer plate).   I have tried loosening and tightening the screws that hold the outer plate but it didn't make a difference.

The only thing that I see that could be a possibility is that only 1 hole has a nipple (the one on the left).  The other 2 holes are smooth; should they have a nipple that is missing for some reason?

I can buy a new petcock if I have to but I don't understand how this could be flowing.  What if I try to bend the spring/wave washer to put more pressure on the rubber gasket?

Thanks for any help

RandyMan

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Help needed. CB500 petcock leak
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 12:27:38 pm »
Have you tried rotating the valve to a different position to verify whether it closes at all?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline dave500

• Really Old Timer ...
  • WHAT?no gravy?
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2014, 12:42:43 pm »
if the main body is corroded itll never seal.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 01:48:10 pm »
I had same issue, buy a new pet cock.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........