Author Topic: Where to find aftermarket parts  (Read 1009 times)

Offline Gold Digger

• 1980 Honda CB650, 1995 Chevy Blazer
Where to find aftermarket parts
« on: September 14, 2014, 06:53:15 pm »
So, as per my intro thread, I have a 1980 CB650C that I picked up back in July.

Back when I had a CB750C back in 1994 at the ripe old age of 18, there was a lot of aftermarket support for the old CBs.  Exhausts, universal fairings, sprockets, etc. Now, though, it seems aftermarket support for the old Honda CBs has died. I'm looking for some things, and hoping you can point me in the right directions.  I do know of Bike Bandit, but it doesn't seem to have a whole lot for my bike.

Here's what I'm looking for.

Exhaust other than Mac (old used Kerker or Vance and Hines would be acceptable, as well.)

Shocks for lowering the rear height - I hate the huge wheel gap on the back end.

Drag bars - Either with slight bends or completely straight.  Previous owner had some cafe bars but mounted them upside down.  Don't like the look
     of them, myself, so once I get what I want, I'll sell the cafe bars. Factory bar diameter is 7/8", correct?

Grips - Preferably rubber.  What I've seen on places like E-Bay don't appeal to me.

Carburetor jet kits - I know that some engines (mostly cars) need to be slightly re-jetted after installing a freer flowing exhaust system.

Stock or aftermarket side panels - I have the right side that's in good shape, but the left side cover has 2 of the 3 tabs broken off.

Brake master cylinder - The current one has a lot of corrosion.

Clutch kits - In first and second gear, at higher RPS or under hard acceleration, the clutch slips badly.  3rd through 5th are ok.

Sprockets - I'm looking to go 1-3 teeth bigger in the front and 1-2 in the back.  I'm looking more for acceleration but even so, if I can get up to about
     120-130MPH, that'd be awesome.

Gasket kits - The odometer only says 32,xxx miles, and there doesn't seem to be any discrepancies with the title reflecting that, but the engine leaks
     oil something fierce

Engine rebuild kits/bore up kits - I know Wiseco made kits for the CB750 as I had one in mine.  Does anyone know where one could be found for a
     CB 650 or would going to a 750 engine be the better route?

Most all the other things I want for it, I know where to find it.
If anyone has any of the above listed items and wants to offload them for a fair price, please, let me know!
Thanks!!!
Two wheels, three wheels, four wheels or more...If it moves, I can drive it.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
Re: Where to find aftermarket parts
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 05:48:24 am »

Exhaust other than Mac good luck with this. A Mac brand header and Cone Engineering megaphone might be a solution. But some amount of custom fab is in order.
Shocks for lowering the rear height Dime City Cycles
Drag bars Dime City Cycles
Grips Dime City Cycles. Posh brand may be what you're after (google is your friend)
Carburetor jet kits member Harisuluv may have what you need. Else, try Jetsrus
Stock or aftermarket side panels post a "Parts Wanted" ad in the forum section
Brake master cylinder want a stock unit or aftermarket? Nissin comes to mind (Dime City Cycles)
Clutch kits Stock Honda works well, dealer or Bike Bandit.
Sprockets be careful here. Regearing a bike by sprocket changes is sometimes fought with issues unforeseen. More acceleration=better tuned bike.
Gasket kits use stock Honda gaskets and replace what leaks
Engine rebuild kits/bore up kits http://dynoman.net/bikepages/nt650/index.html
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Gold Digger

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 03:53:19 am »
Thank you very much.

I've been googeling just things like "Honda CB650 aftermarket parts" but wasn't really getting anything solid.

Seems Dime City Cycles is the place to go.

Offline Gold Digger

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 03:59:52 am »
by the way.  Is 330 the stock height for the rear shocks?

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 04:25:26 am »
http://manuals.sohc4.net/CB650/79650SMC01.pdf

I have no clue about stock length for your bike. Just measure them with a tape from the mounting hole to mounting hole, then multiply by 25 to get MM.

You should be aware of some things before you commence modifying suspension geometry. Changing the shock lengths has effects on handling, as well as potential clearance for your fender/frame against the back tire, especially if loaded with a second rider. Your shocks list 3" of travel, that's a lot. That means if you reduce the height by 1" then you need to also consider buying a shock with less travel to maintain those ever important clearances...

Less travel in the shock means a much harder ride on you and the bike. You'd be surprised at how firm it can feel with subtle changes, and if you're not careful, you'll get a hardtail type bounce off the back tire. Just something to understand and consider first.

Further, changing lengths and offsets of forks (you've not mentioned the latter) can drastically effect handling and stability. I'd encourage you to attempt to achieve the "look" you seek with a different tire, a different seat, or some other aesthetic change over too drastic modifications in the shocks. 1" isn't going to be unrideable or unsafe, but if you go too much farther, then you really need to think it through.

The 650 is tough frame for certain styles. It was built (quite successfully) as a sporty cruiser. The backbone and seat hoop don't necessarily lend themselves in stock config for certain changes without cut-off wheels and welders. Just like it would be a tough road to hoe to modify my F-250 into a road race replica... ;)

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Gold Digger

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 05:27:55 am »
I could have sworn I replied to this yesterday. Huh...

Anyway, as far as modifying the suspension, I know what it can do.  I messed around with suspension on cars for several years.  I'm not looking to scrape the frame or anything, just want to lower the center of gravity a bit and just give it a nicer looking profile.

I'm not sure if it works on bikes like it does on cars, but lowering a car with quality suspension components and spring sets, handling can be drastically improved. If this can be done with bikes, that's where I'd be wanting to go with it.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 05:32:43 am »
Not really the same as cars. Cars have four wheels, bikes two. Lowering the CG involves shifting the motor more than lowering the suspension. Also, most critical aspect of lowering the suspension is cornering clearance.

As long as you know what you're getting into, knock yourself out. Just offering some caveats.

Offline Gold Digger

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 05:48:52 am »
If I knew what I was getting into, I wouldn't be asking questions.  I very much appreciate your insight as it helps me to learn an aspect about bikes I didn't know much about. At least I asked first before doing it and causing all kinds of problems. I know of too many stories where people do stuff to cars without the research then after it's done, they come to the boards asking why it happened and how to fix it.  I don't wanna be that guy.  LOL!

Again, thanks for your insight.

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 05:55:24 am »
Just because someone like me opines, doesn't mean you can't or shouldn't do it. Just creating points of consideration.

Oddly enough, the delta between bikes and cars is small in some areas, but huge in others. What makes sense on one is detrimental on the other. For instance, changing the wheelbase on a car often increases it's ride comfort. Do so on a bike, and yes, in straight lines it's more stable. But, to corner with the new longer bike, yikes!!!! Deprives the bike of all handling geometry.

I wouldn't be overly concerned about lowering the bike 1" from a handling perspective, but do all the math on clearance, and if you also change the aspect ratio of the tires, you're effecting other handling. Again, just track it all and keep notes. If you end up where you don't like it, you then know what you can adjust back out to improve your bike.

Chop on! Hell, it's only metal...