Author Topic: 400/4 F1 Cafe Racer Project - Rear Ride Height - Longer Suspension Unit?  (Read 1207 times)

Offline robnobrakes

Here is my '77 400F1, fitted with Hagon rear shocks.  I would like to raise the rear ride height by 1 to 2 inches as she sits a bit low.  What would peeps recommend?  I want to keep the classic look as far as possible.

Rob

'77 CB400F1 Cafe Project, '94 Ducati 900SS, '94 Speed Triple T309, '95 Daytona Super III, '98 Triumph Tiger 900,

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
Re: 400/4 F1 Cafe Racer Project - Rear Ride Height - Longer Suspension Unit?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 11:41:44 pm »
I have heard of lowering blocks, there must be some way to raise things or just find a longer shock with the same mounts  or modify.  I like the look of the piggyback shocks, and there was a thread where someone was talking about machining the cheap china copies to where they perform like the good ones.

Those are some crazy looking brake rotors you're making. Nice looking bike.
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline Muckinfuss

• Hot Shot
  • "I plan to live forever.....or die trying."
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 12:26:20 pm »
The only way I know to do what you want, without cutting, welding and mucking everything up is to buy longer shocks.  That said, there's only about 2 3/4 inches of travel stock in the rear.  Raising the rear two inches will push the trail on the front into the danger zone, perhaps.  Trail keeps the front wheel tracking straight with enough 'give' for going left and right on demand.  Too much trail is hard to turn....to little is a very skittish feeling at the bars.  Wobble is a distinct possibility.  If you have a frame guy around that can tell you what you'd be doing to the geometry, I think you'd have time well spent.
1984 Sportster 1000cc XL
1988 Heritage Softail
1974 CB550
1989 Corvette

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 01:23:25 pm »
Longer shocks, or, shorter rim perhaps?
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline robnobrakes

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:08:05 am »
Hagon have supplied me with custom made 335mm rear shocks to replace my 310mm units.  The bike now sits perfectly IMO.

Rob

'77 CB400F1 Cafe Project, '94 Ducati 900SS, '94 Speed Triple T309, '95 Daytona Super III, '98 Triumph Tiger 900,