Author Topic: Senior project for high school - 78 CB750K  (Read 169501 times)

Offline callmejarob

• Enthusiast
Re: Senior project for high school - 78 CB750K
« Reply #650 on: February 06, 2015, 08:02:11 am »
Yes it looks amazing!!  Great job so far!

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #651 on: February 10, 2015, 06:53:51 pm »
So we're back on the bike work tonight now that we're back from our weekend trip to visit colleges.  Logan has decided on Georgia Southern in Statesboro as the school he wants to attend, so the weekend was fruitful because the 2 of us got to spend some quality time together having fun but also got to see some neat college campuses.

A little progress on the bike tonight but one hold-up as well.  We went to put the clutch back on and we can find all of the parts except the little 40mm circlip.  I remember when we took it off and we did a really good job of putting everything into bags but somehow, somewhere, that little circlip is missing.  We've gone through all of the bags in the room one time but tomorrow, I'm going to go through everything that's left meticulously to see if we can find it.  I checked eBay, Partszilla and a few other places, but that piece is apparently no longer available.

We did go ahead and install the Pamco ignition tonight and got that part done.  We started to install the new coils and couldn't get the old coils separated from the little sub-bracket mounts that they were on.  Only to find out a bit later that the Pamco doesn't appear to use that sub-bracket for mounting.  So we'll put the coils on tomorrow night if we have time after Logan's soccer game.

We also started putting on some small pieces like the gearshift lever and front sprocket but found out that we're going to have to take off the cam chain tensioner to get the starter to ease into its place.  We'll also try that one tomorrow or Thursday.  The swingarm is likewise ready to go on and will be part of the next round of things to install but the big thing that gets started next is the electrical harness installation. *oh joy!*

I do have a question though.  It appears that the easiest way to re-attach the breather to the bottom of the battery box will be to do that before re-installing the battery box.  We already put the battery box in but can easily remove it to do that once we figure out how to get those rusted screws out of the breather so we can take apart to inspect it.  We've tried cutting notches into the heads of the screws with a Dremel but we may end up just cutting the heads off the screws altogether and buying new ones because the old ones are severely rusted anyway.

« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 05:05:06 am by Restoration Fan »
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline Bill/BentON Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Ex Honda Service Manager, Cert. Honda Tech - Racer
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #652 on: February 11, 2015, 03:47:37 am »
K. Good news. Sorta thought GS might be the one. You need to try the Hondaland House of Fun for that clip.  ;D Bill
BentON Racing Website
OEM Parts | Service | Custom Builds
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #653 on: February 11, 2015, 04:47:03 am »
K. Good news. Sorta thought GS might be the one. You need to try the Hondaland House of Fun for that clip.  ;D Bill

Hah!  :D  Likewise, I knew Southern would be hard to beat as well.  It's a beautiful campus with a lot of cool stuff and even more important to a teenaged boy...tons of beautiful girls!  It's 50/50 guys to girls so there are plenty of them to go around.

Yes, we definitely need to make another trip over to your house!  I have a list of 2 or 3 other small items that we need that I'll bring when we come over.  How's tomorrow night work for you around 6:30 or 7:00?  You have the dyno runs with Calendar Girl tonight, don't you?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:49:29 am by Restoration Fan »
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #654 on: February 11, 2015, 06:37:16 am »
Just to correct something I posted erroneously last night, it appears you do need the sub-bracket to install the PAMCO coils.  You bolt the coils to the sub-bracket just like the OEM coils were attached.  Then, you attach the coil assembly to the frame via the long, stainless steel bolts and spacers (and one clip) that are included with the PAMCO kit.
Ron

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #655 on: February 11, 2015, 05:07:36 pm »
Dyno next week. Tomorrow is fine, Bill
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook
Over 35 years of experience working on vintage motorcycles, with a speciality in Honda SOHC/4 with a focus on the CB750 and other models as well from 1966 - 1985.
1993 HRC RS125 | 1984 NS400R | 1974 Honda CB750/836cc (Calendar Girl) | 1972 CB 500/550 Yoshi Kitted 590cc | 1965 Honda CB450 Black Bomber | 1972 Suzuki T350 | 1973 88cc | Z50/Falcons Pit Bike | 1967 CA100| 1974 CB350 (400F motor)...and more.

Offline oldhatt45

• The person called in at the last minute to share the blame is the...
  • Expert
  • Just an Old Guy that's gone to the Dogs
« Reply #656 on: February 11, 2015, 05:41:25 pm »
Ron,

Nice Job so far!!!! It's always exciting when you're doing the College tour as well.  I got to do it 3 times.  LOL  But it was still fun.

As far as that 40mm circlip goes.  Did you look inside all the parts that have holes in them???
Maybe it's hiding in some hole somewhere????

Charlie
Who is back to his 750 restore.......finally

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #657 on: February 11, 2015, 06:03:07 pm »
Ron,

Nice Job so far!!!! It's always exciting when you're doing the College tour as well.  I got to do it 3 times.  LOL  But it was still fun.

As far as that 40mm circlip goes.  Did you look inside all the parts that have holes in them???
Maybe it's hiding in some hole somewhere????

Charlie
Who is back to his 750 restore.......finally
Thanks, Charlie.  I was admiring your polishing work in your thread earlier today!   :D

And your point is valid about the possibility that it's hiding in another bag inside of another part.  Unfortunately, that thing called work has intervened today and kept me from being able to search and Logan just got home moments ago from soccer.

Tomorrow night we'll head over to Bill Benton's house and I'll pick up a clip from him.  If/when I find the one I lost, I'll take it back to him so that it's there for the next person who needs one.  Don't know what I would have done on this build had we not met Bill....he's been a lifesaver for us.

Ron

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #658 on: February 11, 2015, 06:13:40 pm »
Ron,

Thanks for the complement.
I'm just about ready to tear down the rear end of my 750.
Have most of the parts I know I need to replace, but i'm sure I'll need something I don't have.  LOL

Keep going,  you are one of the folks inspiring me to get mine done.

Charlie

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #659 on: February 13, 2015, 01:23:45 am »
A trip to Bill Benton's house taught Logan and I two new pieces of motorcycle information tonight:
A)  The little 40 mm circlip used to hold the clutch in on a K8 model (part #15 in the first drawing here)...those things are as rare as hen's teeth. 

It turns out that Bill actually learned something tonight as well.  When we couldn't find one of the clips directly, we went out into his collection o' clutches and found a couple that were still fully assembled.  After bringing one back in and disassembling the clutch, we realized that there was no clip in that one.  Hmmm...what's going on?

Bill says, "Well, I honestly didn't remember there being one in my clutch".  So we go back inside and pull up a K8 manual from online to check the printed copy that I have with me.  Yep, it has a clip.  So we check 1973....the year that Bill's Calendar Girl is.  No clip.  Curious!  Pull up 1977...yep, it has the clip.  Go back to 1975....no clip.  1976...yep there's a clip.  So as it turns out, Honda began using the clips in 1976 as a means to hold the clutch in against the shaft. 

Bill, being the awesome guy that he is, says "I have a 76 or 77 F clutch outside.  And we go out there and take apart a pristine 77 F2 clutch that has never been touched.  The little tabs on the tabbed washer didn't even have a mark on it, so of course I felt guilty as heck that we were having to take apart this beautiful clutch just to get me this one little part.  But Bill didn't even hesitate to part with it.  Thanks Bill.  You are the man!

So, here's a picture of yon hen's tooth (aka #15 - CIRCLIP (40MM) part # 90602-371-000)

B) Speaking of part #'s, have you ever wondered what those numbers in a part # actually mean?  Well, while we were looking up the part #'s for a couple of different "shoulder bolts" that I needed, Bill pointed out something to me that I had never heard.  The middle # in the 3-part Honda part code stands for the model # where that part first appeared.  He then rattled off the model #'s for the original K0 750, the 350's, the 450's, etc.  So when I got home a while ago, I decided to look up these model codes and I found this link that actually explains the entire part # and gives a listing of the model #'s.  Some of you may have already known this, but I did not and personally, I found it fascinating!

http://www.kaila.net/tl125/tl125partcode.html

I pulled the CB codes that I could find out of that long list

CB350 K2/K3/K4              317
CB350 FOUR F0/F1              333
CB450 K0                             283
CB450 K1/K2                        292
CB450 D                              293
CB450 K3/K4                      319
CB500 K0/K1                        232
CB750 K0/K1                        300
CB750 K2/K3/K4/K5/'76        341
CB750F F0/'76                      392
CB550K '77/'78                      404
CB750 '77/'78                      405
CB750F '77/'78                      410
CB750A '76/'77/'78              393

So, finally I check and look up the code for that clutch circlip and discovered that it first appeared in the GL1000 K0/'76/LTD '76/'77/ bike.  Handy information.  Had Bill not had one that I could purchase, I could have looked online for the part.  If none of the CB750's had it, I could also look for Goldwing clutches to see if I could buy one.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 02:27:00 am by Restoration Fan »
Ron

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #660 on: February 13, 2015, 03:53:50 am »
Teacher better have given you a Gold Star for all that, Ron!
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline AintNoEasyWay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #661 on: February 13, 2015, 04:23:12 am »
Haha. A few years down the road someone else is going to have a similar issue with that circlip & we'll all say: "I know there was a thread about it once, use the search function."

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #662 on: February 13, 2015, 04:58:30 am »
Or some anal engineering type, will reply "I wrote that down in my little red anal engineers notebook!"  :)

Charlie

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #663 on: February 13, 2015, 05:15:33 am »
Or some anal engineering type, will reply "I wrote that down in my little red anal engineers notebook!"  :)

Charlie
Hey, I'm offended.  My notebook is blue!  :P

Gotta admit that one of the really cool things about this bike build is the new friend I have made in Bill Benton.  Not only has he been a God-send on this bike but he is a wealth of knowledge about motorcycles in general but especially Honda bikes. 

He used to be a parts manager for a Honda motorcycle shop so often times he'll say something that is obvious to him and I'll be like, "Wait...what?  Hold on...how did you know that?"  Just an all around great guy but a lot of fun to hang out with as well. 

Ron

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #664 on: February 13, 2015, 05:50:23 am »
OK Ron,

You must be one of those "Civil Engineers".  ROFL
They always do things different.  :)

Charlie

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #665 on: February 14, 2015, 07:10:01 pm »
Good ole Stella.  True to her form she gave up some progress today but exacted her toll on a few items as well.

We got the forks rebuilt with new seals, o-rings and fork oil.  Bill's seal driver that he loaned us made super short work of the fork assembly.  We should have known at that point that things were going too smoothly.

Next up was the clutch.  We got the clutch basket on and after a few bouts with the POS Harbor Freight circlip pliers, we finally got the circlip seated.  Awesome....take the clutch friction plates out of the oil where they'd been soaking and realize that the clutch plates we'd inspected months ago had a problem.  We had inspected them and they appeared to be brand new so we didn't replace them.  Well, they all were perfect...except for that one that had about 1/3 of the friction material chipped off of it.  So the clutch work got tabled while I went & ordered a set of EBC clutch friction plates from Amazon.  Supposed to be here Monday morning.

OK.  We'll do the swing arm next.  Well, that actually went smoothly.  Got the swing arm and shocks installed.

Next, on to the installing the Pamco coils.  Well, we didn't get that done because we're not 100% sure whether we're supposed to use the old sub-base or not.  My thought is that we ARE supposed to use them but that would also mean that we likely have to drill out the holes to accommodate the larger bolts instead of the screws that were in them.  Anyone who has information on this please feel free to chime in.  The Pamco instructions online are pretty good for installing the ignition plate and how to connect the wires but the instructions for installing the coils just show two photos that aren't super clear and don't give any instruction on how to get to that point.

So, what's next?  Let's do the All Ballz steering ball bearings and get the triple tree installed so we can put the new forks in.  Well, we figured out what we think we're supposed to do and started to install the lower bearing onto the lower part of the triple tree.  Using a piece of PVC that fits so that we're only driving against the center part of the bearing and not out on the edges, we began to install the lower part onto the triple tree shaft.  But it keeps wanting to go on angled so we stopped with it only about half way down because it's going on slightly angled downward.  I figure I'll wait until we get a chance to ask Bill's advice on how to install it.  So the forks and triple tree still are waiting to be put on.

OK, so what now?  Well, the rear wheel is on its way back from California where Buchanan's cut the correct outer spokes for it, laced them and trued the wheel for me.  The front wheel and tire are at Wow Motorcycles in Marietta, GA where they're trueing the wheel and putting the tire on for me.  So we can't do anything with the wheels just yet.

My wife is out of town for a few more days so we decided to get a bit more of the painting of parts done.  We try not to do it when she's home because the paint fumes trigger her asthma and make her use her inhaler.  Logan got most of the fine detail painting done on the stator cover, making it black.  But we need to get him a tool with a finer point for him to get the details a little better.  Makes the HONDA really stand out though with the black.

Also got the center of the front rotor painted.  Got all the foot pegs cleaned up and ready to paint the metal portions.  We spent about an hour and a half cleaning the exhaust collars with wire brushes to get all of the oil and crud that was caked and baked inside those crevices.

So, tomorrow we're going to jump onto the breather and try to get it separated so we can check the insides of it.  Then, assuming we can get the triple tree & forks mounted, we'll mount the headlight bucket and front fork stays with trim pieces, followed by the beginning of the wiring harness installation.  The brand new Scorpion battery is on a battery tender to ensure that it's at 100% because the goal *fingers crossed* is to try and do a first start sometime around next weekend.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:14:54 pm by Restoration Fan »
Ron

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #666 on: February 14, 2015, 07:27:53 pm »
Ron,
When I put the bearing on my lower triple, I had to cut a slit in the pvc to get it to fit on the stem.
The PVC was long enough so that when the bearing was completely seated the OVC was still longer then the stem.
I put the PCV over the stem, put the PVC on the floor (triple now upside down) put a piece of 2X4 on the lower triple and tapped with a 3 lb hammer.  But I tapped "gently".  4 or 5 whacks and it was seated properly.  Make sure you put the correct spacer and the seal on first.
Also, I assume you measured the "stack height" so you know which spacer (washer) to use.

Hope this helps,

Charlie

• Really Old Timer ...
    • BentON Racing
« Reply #667 on: February 14, 2015, 07:42:50 pm »
Y'all been busy, me too! Made some carb sox!  ;D Then found these in my bag of carb parts! Another set!  8) Got a tool for bearing installation. I'll be around tomorrow, except when I go do this again! Wood for a new building! K. Bill Pic later! How are your steel plates?
BentON Racing Website
BentON Racing Facebook

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #668 on: February 14, 2015, 07:54:30 pm »
Y'all been busy, me too! Made some carb sox!  ;D Then found these in my bag of carb parts! Another set!  8) Got a tool for bearing installation. I'll be around tomorrow, except when I go do this again! Wood for a new building! K. Bill Pic later! How are your steel plates?

Bill,
I'll text you in the morning to see what time works.  LOL, I wonder how many other tools like those you found are laying hidden somewhere?    :D

Which steel plates are you referring to?
Ron

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #669 on: February 14, 2015, 08:36:31 pm »
You might not want to get too attached to that swingarm being installed quite yet as I noticed you have not yet installed the brake pedal pivot and return spring.  I have never been able to get that stuff installed with the swingarm in place, but others here have, so maybe you are okay.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #670 on: February 14, 2015, 08:46:53 pm »
You might not want to get too attached to that swingarm being installed quite yet as I noticed you have not yet installed the brake pedal pivot and return spring.  I have never been able to get that stuff installed with the swingarm in place, but others here have, so maybe you are okay.

Hmmm...I hope that isn't the case.  But this is Stella and she usually does insist on everything being done at least twice so it certainly wouldn't surprise me.
Ron

Offline AintNoEasyWay

• Hot Shot
« Reply #671 on: February 15, 2015, 04:34:57 pm »
Ron, I installed the PAMCO ignition & coils on my K7. I remember now that I had to do some thinking in order to get the coils working with the original base, but definitely never had to drill anything. I won't be home until tomorrow evening, but if you guys still need an answer by then, I'll check the bike for you.

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #672 on: February 15, 2015, 05:04:56 pm »
Nate, that would be much appreciated.  We'll definitely need that unless someone helps with that PAMCO information before then.  Thanks to a ton of help by Bill Benton today, we made some really good progress.  When I get some time later tonight, I'll try to write up what we learned and got done.

Until then, here's his dog, Baby Face, telling Logan just how happy he is that Logan came to visit him today.
Ron

Offline oldhatt45

• Expert
« Reply #673 on: February 15, 2015, 05:22:05 pm »
Ron,

OK, so how old is Baby Face????
Looks like a Dobe????
And the picture in my avatar is my Boy, Razor.  9 yrs old (88 lbs), coming over an A-Frame with all 4 feet in the air.  :)

Charlie

Offline Restoration Fan

• Master
« Reply #674 on: February 15, 2015, 06:24:46 pm »
Ron,

OK, so how old is Baby Face????
Looks like a Dobe????
And the picture in my avatar is my Boy, Razor.  9 yrs old (88 lbs), coming over an A-Frame with all 4 feet in the air.  :)

Charlie

Charlie,
Baby Face is a Doberman indeed.  I think Bill said he was almost 3 years old.  He's still puppy-like with all the energy he has but he lives a very good life; he's the boss of the house!

Well, we got the triple tree on finally after a lot of help with Bill to get the old bottom race off.  Then he used his handy/dandy Honda bearing driver tool to drive that bottom bearing and washer down onto the bottom of the tree.  Once we got home, Logan and I used another tool he loaned us to install the races into the neck and then got the tree installed.  Turns very smoothly.  Question:  should the top race go completely inside the neck because ours is sticking up just a tiny bit.  Should we take that top tree back off and drive that race on down into the neck farther?

Bill also showed us how he uses an extra handlebar and master cylinder rig that he has to force the piston and brake pad out of the side with the hydraulic nipple.  I had tried using air but it wasn't forcing the brake pad out.  Came right out with the hydraulic assistance.

So once we got the brake calipers home, we spent 2 hours cleaning and cleaning and cleaning....and more cleaning the inside of the cavity to make sure it's perfectly clean in there.  Then we cleaned up the outside, taped off the parts that shouldn't be painted and applied some VHT Hi-Temp black paint to them.  They're about to go into the oven soon to set the paint. (Yes, the rubber o-ring is out of there so there shouldn't be anything in it that can't stand 200 degree heat for 20 minutes.)

Rear rim was supposed to arrive from Buchanan's tomorrow, per UPS, but I just received an updated email that the new expected delivery date is Tuesday between 11:15 am and 3:15 pm.  So I'm thinking that Wednesday, Stella may get to wear her new shoes for the first time. 

Logan just went over to a friend's house with his buddies to watch the NBA All-Star game but before he left, he told me, "It's getting exciting!  Starting to look like a motorcycle again!"   

:'(  I'm a happy dad!  Bill, if you read this...thank you!!!  I don't know what we'd do without your help.

Ron