which is your wave?

above the handelbar
below the handelbar
straight out
down low
i nod my head
i dont wave at all
the finger

Author Topic: The Wave  (Read 16015 times)

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
Re: The Wave
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2005, 08:53:47 pm »
so I mostly hang on with my left thumb and raise my fingers.  Low down if not holding on at the time.  Most riders wave in these area unless you get a pack of them.  I just hold my fingers up or out when a group go by.  Why do so many people use the peace sign? 
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline Bob Wessner

• "Carbs Suck!"
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2005, 02:21:14 am »
Why do so many people use the peace sign?

Maybe it's wishful thinking because there doesn't seem to much of it around these days.  :(
We'll all be someone else's PO some day.

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2005, 07:01:20 pm »
Hey I got a thumbs down wave today!  Now what... does a lion jump out of the bushes and eat me?
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline jotor

• Enthusiast
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2005, 10:07:49 am »
I had a guy pass me once on a HD with massive ape-hangers who waved his foot.  I almost fell over.  I have since adopted the "foot wave" and it is starting to catch on in small,  lesser known areas of Quonochontaug Rhode Island.  Keep a look out for the "foot wave"...

-Bobby

Sure he wasn't shaking out a cramp?  I do it all the time on my sport bike.  ;-)
I'd rather ride a Yamaha than eat worms.

Gallery.....http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=2254.0

Offline jotor

• Enthusiast
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2005, 10:12:27 am »
Seems like I get a lot of waves while I'm in the middle of a turn. I generally have lowish bars anyway, so I mostly hang on with my left thumb and raise my fingers.

What gets me are the knee draggers who give you a big wave from about 15 degrees above the road.  Smart asses.....

.....................wish I could do that.
I'd rather ride a Yamaha than eat worms.

Gallery.....http://www.sohc4.us/forums/index.php?topic=2254.0

Offline Gordon

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • 750K1, 550K2
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2005, 05:37:05 pm »
Love the avatar, Jotor!!

I have a mini die-cast 750 that I was going to do that with, but you beat me to it!

Offline DammitDan

• Jedi
  • Master
  • Slowly returning to the Honda flock...
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2005, 07:49:52 pm »
Just about every biker around here (Nashville TN) is friendly.  Including the harley riders AND the crotchies.  I get waves and return waves with 95% of all the bikers I pass.  I guess it's that gentile southern thang.
Signatures are for wimps!

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2005, 09:37:58 am »
i think your right Dan.

although if your riding in NC its a lil different.

freakin 4wheelers tailgate the crap out of you so bad im affraid to lift my hand from the grip.

otherwise most people round here love to wave at everything...
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2006, 04:22:17 pm »
I HAD AN APIFANY TODAY.

I was pondering the origin of "the wave"

and as I was riding along...  it came to me!

Waving is an effective way to attract attention to yourself and other riders.

so quite possibly its in our best interest to wave and wave often.

or am I just spinning my wheels?
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline heffay

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2006, 05:43:54 pm »
yes, agreed.

and, i always enjoy a nice tapity tap tap f 'ing tap on the horn button when others invade my lane.   :-*
Today: '73 cb350f, '96 Ducati 900 Supersport
Past Rides: '72 tc125, '94 cbr600f2, '76 rd400, '89 ex500, '93 KTM-125exc, '92 zx7r, '93 Banshee, '83 ATC250R, 77/75 cb400f

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2006, 05:55:37 pm »
and, i always enjoy a nice tapity tap tap f 'ing tap on the horn button when others invade my lane

i agree i do my fair share of honking myself

i was thinking of a dual set of horns "low profile but loud"

but it wouldnt work.
the people i honk at are usually on the damn phone,
or they have the sterio on so loud i cant hear my own freakin motor.
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline mrblasty

• Expertly
  • Expert
  • I can bunny hop my 750 #$%*es
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2006, 06:54:24 pm »
Tailgaters are a real pain in the ass, .5'' steel ball bearings thrown over the shoulder might be a deterrent for some offenders.
I farted and made my son cry.
1973 Honda CB 750
1975 GL 1000
1975 Yamaha XS650 The Swamp Donkey

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2006, 06:23:12 am »
you know what??

this gives me an idea for a new post..
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline hondachopproject

• Enthusiast
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2006, 09:38:51 pm »
I usually do the down low wave.

I wave at everyone on two wheels, even if it is a moped. It is funny I get less returned waves from the new metric bike bunch.

It is funny when I had my Harley's the Harley  rideras  would always wave, even if I had decied to ride one of my Honda's that day. I have had some wave with a polite snicker when I was on my Honda then would look shocked an hour later when I pulled up to the watering Hole (KICKSTART SALOON< Topeka, Ks) on my Heritage.
BUT.....New Metric owners would snub me no matter if I was on my Harley or one of my "old" Hondas. ??? Go Figure.
I always just assumed that they were such novice riders, on their first bike, that they were afraid to take their hands off the handlebars!
92 HERITAGE

Offline dusterdude

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 06:03:59 am »
yea,say what you want about harley riders,but i think wingers are the worst bunch out there.
mark
1972 k1 750
1949 fl panhead
1 1/2 gl1100 goldwings
1998 cbr600 f3

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2006, 09:52:28 am »
well I think im gonna start this year by trying to start a new trend.

the vulcan "live long and prosper" hand sign.

Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline GeoffT

• Hot Shot
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2006, 10:30:08 am »
Mine's aJudaean People's Front fisttothesideofthehead wave.

;D
Loretta - is that you??

Brian, Peoples Front for the Liberation of Judea

SPLITTER

skidpan

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2006, 01:46:37 pm »
I nod. But if its a modern (faired ) bike I wait for the other guy to go first 'cos I got sick of being ignored by the plastic fantastic brigade. If its an older bike (unfaired), I'm happy to nod first.

Offline cb650

• Old Timer
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2006, 01:57:38 pm »
A couple weeks ago a new gold wing passed me going my direction.  He gave a big wave as he went by.   I fell in behind him and then a couple cruisers came other way and he did the "foot thing".
Laughed the rest of the way home. first time I had seen it.

Terry
18 grand and 18 miles dont make you a biker

Offline cben750f0

• nothin draws attention like a classic bike!!
  • Master
  • '75 CB750F0 Gladstone NQLD OZ
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2006, 06:46:22 pm »
usually wave at anyhting on two wheels, but have never had a good response from the HARD lookin harley guys.... so dont bother, the harley guys that are out there in there mid life crisis usually wave though.... but the tassley leathers gives them away ;D... being a rider of both plastic and steel...  i do find that sport bike riders respond more to the CBR than to the CB.... but the CB gets heaps more attentions when you park it some where, so i think the CB is more inclined to get attention.... just my two bobs worth..peace
you are never to old, to act like a kid... be safe
funny thing,chasing someone down hill on a bike 30 years older than theirs..
he said \\\\\\\'it was like watching a 250kg unguided weapon getting stuck up you bum\\\\\\\ http://www.bikepics.com/members/trixtrem/

Offline Paul

• Hot Shot
Paul.
It hurts to admit when you've made mistakes, But when the're big enough, the pain only lasts a second

Offline boatsdickson

• Hot Shot
  • 1978 836 K8
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2007, 01:32:59 pm »
When bigger brother was ridin the h-d and I wasnt ridin yet, he would wave at the h-ds below the bar down low and ignore streetbikes whether they waved or not. When I started ridin the honda, I would wave at everyone. Ill extend a better "handshake" to the harley fellas, under the bars usually two fingered than most. Dont know if it a respect thing, or that Im an inch away from putin the downpayment on the dynaglide. I dont take offence if they dont wave back. Sure think its funny when my harley ridin brother is on his honda and doesnt get his wave back he gets all bent out of shape...
"No. We're all our own prisons, we are each all our own wardens and we do our own time. I can't judge anyone else. What other people do is not really my affair unless they approach me with it. Prison's in your mind. Can't you see I'm free"?  Testimonial of Charles Manson

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2007, 07:00:23 am »
Before posting a new waive topic, I decided to revive this thread.

After reading through the post, I noticed that most have the same experiences that I have, even with me only a little less than 600 street miles under my belt. I've grown up with dirt bikes, ATV's go-karts, and driving all over at 12 years of age in Bobtail Bronco's.

I look at riding as a two-wheel experience. I waive at all riders and so far, the most unreturned come from HD guys riding together---usually younger in age; I am 27 btw.

I believe that more riders need to ban together and increase rider awareness. In IL if you hit a construction worker it's up to 14 years in jail and a 10000 dollar fine. I'd like to see the same enforcement applied to hitting a motorcyclist. Granted some riders feel the need to go exceedingly fast or have a few alcohol drinks and that is the riders fault, but in events where people are in outerspace and run people over, that needs to have a higher punishment.

Bikes are a great way to quickly curb America's thirst for petro, go juice, and reduce the congestion that major areas are plagued with.

In sticking with the topic, even if I don't get a waive from the first group of riders, I still extend the limb below the bars for the next group. It's a bike thing.

77 750F2 ressurected from the dead
ASE Advanced Level Master Tech

Offline Tvag

• Enthusiast
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2007, 08:17:39 am »
I knew not about waving. I suppose I'll find out how I waive when I'm given my first opportunity. Chances are I'll be scare sh!tless to take my hand of the handlebar.

I did own a jeep for a while and jeep people waive to eachother as well. I guess the fellowship there is that you and he both know if the sh!t hits the fan you've both got a vehicle that can get you out of it... if its running that is.
1977 CB550K (on the road, FINALLY! 4/10/08)
1979 Kaw Z400B2 (someone's future parts bike)

jdigga

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2007, 07:38:13 am »
I tend to wave only when waved to.  Around this area I've noticed most H-D riders won't wave, and no BMW riders will.  I also find more waves come from solo riders than two-ups.

The wave also seems to be predicated by a head turn.  It's almost like a tell so neither rider will extend a hand without the gesture being returned.  Once both heads turns and each rider has acknowledge the presence of the other, a wave (or nod) will follow.  On the other hand, if I see an oncoming rider who doesn't turn his head towards me, I know I'll be ignored.

But I've also found that acknowledgment doesn't simply occur when passing in opposite directions.  I pulled up behind a 919 one time at a light and he kept looking in his mirror until I gave him a nod.

It seems like as vintage bike riders, most other riders (who will be on H-D's, sport bikes, or metric cruisers) don't know what to make of us.  At least in my area, we're a rare breed.