which is your wave?

above the handelbar
below the handelbar
straight out
down low
i nod my head
i dont wave at all
the finger

Author Topic: The Wave  (Read 16001 times)

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
Re: The Wave
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2007, 09:28:47 pm »
I recently had a guy give me the strong arm waive. It was a first.

That is when you look like your flexing your bicep but your thumb is pointing towards your head in a closed fist.
77 750F2 ressurected from the dead
ASE Advanced Level Master Tech

Offline mrbreeze

• Not your average
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Shut up when you're talkin' to me!!
« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2007, 09:38:53 pm »

That is when you look like your flexing your bicep but your thumb is pointing towards your head in a closed fist.
Good feelin' huh???
MEMBER # 257
Fool me once..shame on you. Fool me twice..I'm kickin' your a$$......

Offline neil young

• striving to be an
  • Expert
  • A penny saved..is obviously a government oversight
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2007, 04:18:21 am »
here in Ontario,its arm down with two fingers.i give the wave to all bikers i pass.95% of the time it is returned.
1972 CB500 k1
1974 CB550
1977 cb 550
82 suzuki GS 750tz.......16  valves  baby
2008 Triumph Scrambler

Offline Wheelhorse77

• She's got some Juice
  • Enthusiast
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2007, 08:15:20 pm »

Good feelin' huh???

Not sure if it was an insult or what was meant by it?
77 750F2 ressurected from the dead
ASE Advanced Level Master Tech

Offline stresssolutions

• 4 years on a motorcycle, Time Flies!
  • Enthusiast
  • 03 RoadStar, I miss my Honda
    • bloggy thoughts
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2007, 02:05:44 pm »
I was wondering what was going on...I'd say about 25-30% of the time I get a "return" wave.  I ALWAYS waved, whether riding or driving...but I've noticed it's not done much now. 

I'm not sure if guys can tell if I'm a girl on the bike..jacket, full helmet, gloves, jeans, running shoes...so I think they may think I'm a "small guy with a really weird bike"??

Perhaps I should alter my waive, maybe under the handle bar, rather than over...(as over may "date" me...??)  Opinions please.

Linda

This is just my opinion, but it may be supported by others, as well.  I think you should ride with a  boob out and wave with it.
Enjoying life, one day at a time.

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2007, 06:29:59 pm »
Oh YEAH???

For REALLY CHEAP excitement..

Ride a moped..& flip off every Big Twin you see!! :o

Scads of fun!!

I did ride a moped for quite about about 3 yrs back,,& did flip off a few people...

that I knew..lol..

Tvag.. I luv that KETTENKRAD!!.. I have seen 2 or 3 of them.. man would I like to try one..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Billy_Awesome

« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2007, 04:27:15 pm »
I never really felt comfortable enough to actually take my hand off the bar and give a full-on wave, but I'd nod my head and kind of lift the fingers of my left hand with my thumb still hooked.  Never got a wave back from anyone, regardless of what they were riding, and the only time anyone ever initiated a wave to me was when I was standing next to it in a parking lot smoking a cigarette and cursing under my breath because it was becoming rapidly apparent that I was going to have to push it home again.

I did get a fair number of long, slow looks from the guys on choppers as they drove past me while I was pushing it, but no waves.  No offers of help, either from anyone on a bike, but there was a cop who followed behind me with his rollers on for about a mile on a busy stretch of road so I didn't get creamed.  When I got onto a side street, said I could handle it from there, and thanked him, he said he rode and had pushed bikes both, and it was the least he could do.   

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2007, 08:25:01 pm »
UMMM what kind of helmet are you wearing?? or maybe its your Jacket??

Kinda nice of the cop though..
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline dustyc

• I don't know why anyone would call me an
  • Expert
  • 1977 CB750K
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2007, 11:55:00 pm »
Speaking of cops, the harley cops here don't wave.  They'll nod though if no one's looking.  I imagine they don't want it to seem as if they show any favoritism.   I haven't run across any of the enduro riding cops here yet.

SS, I love the boob out wave mental picture I'm getting. ;D
1977 CB750

Billy_Awesome

« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2007, 05:50:20 am »
UMMM what kind of helmet are you wearing?? or maybe its your Jacket??

Kinda nice of the cop though..

Uhh..I don't know.  It's a Scorpion Exo helmet, like this one http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motorcycle-helmet/scorpion/ only matte black.  Maybe it's the fact that I'm wearing a helmet at all.  It's not required in CT, and almost nobody does.  As for the jacket, yeah, it's a little obnoxious, I guess -- really got n00b written all over it.  Which is appropriate, considering.

Yeah, I appreciated the cop following me the way he did.  It was dark by that point, and it is kind of a nasty stretch of road there -- big curve, not much shoulder.  I would have been real hard to see without him behind me.  The last leg was uphill, too, so I was only moving in 10-15 foot increments by the end.

The general rule about waving around here seems to be like waves to like.  Except for the guys on Big Dogs & such.  They all seem miserable about having to aknowledge or associate with anybody whatsoever.

Offline Quail "Owner of the comfortable k8"

• Expert
  • Now thats good eaten!!
« Reply #60 on: November 30, 2007, 09:30:56 pm »

[/quote]This is just my opinion, but it may be supported by others, as well.  I think you should ride with a  boob out and wave with it.
[/quote]

Will that work for man boobs?
These wonderful little birds are great flyers, delicious eating, excellent for training your hunting dog, and just fun to shoot,or stuff and keep around the house.  Bobwhites can be put with other types of Quail and have very large penis's.  Quail are very popular with the babes.

Offline cleveland

• Expert
« Reply #61 on: December 02, 2007, 02:02:09 pm »
Here in Milwaukee the HD riders tend to be snobs unless they are in the 45 years plus range.  Then they get dreamy eyes remembering when they were 18 years old on their first bike.

I used to wave to everyone on 2 wheels, HD, sport bikes, even mopeds. 

Now I tend to ignore HD's unless they nod first, then the nod is returned.  Most of those guys are snobs and as another member pointed out, they are "swipe cool" going through a mid life crisis.   

I find the sports bike crown is 50-50.  I'll get half the ignore me due to thinking I'm on a Harley, or just don't know proper educate.  What's really cool is when you get a group of 20-30 of them all with their arms extended.  I think it more then makes up to the others.

Mopeds & scooters get my wave no matter what.  Most of then give ma a confused look that is worth it every time.  I do get the occasional wave back, normally followed by a puffed out chest.  ;) :D

As for the wave itself, mostly a nod followed by a fully extended arm.  Although it may look like I am turning left to anyone behind me.  :-\

A final note (wow this post is getting long).  I was riding around a bend and a cop on a Harley was riding towards me.  He put his arm out and just as I was about to return the wave he pulled his arm in an snapped his head the other way.  It was as to say, sorry, I though you were on a Harley.  LOL 

Offline SCJIM

• Enthusiast
« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2015, 12:32:52 pm »
I am extending my left arm out and giving everyone a wave HELLO

its been a long time
Jim in SC
1981 CB 650 Custom

Offline falker

« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2016, 09:45:06 am »
More of a nod guy myself  :)

Offline Mr. Mike

• Hot Shot
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2016, 07:35:12 pm »
There are a few acknowledgements I use. The most common is the level with and somewhat over the left handgrip with the index finger pointed at the other rider as if to say, "Hey!" which is held out longer if there are several riders passing. Then there's the nod on occasion like while turning or passing through an intersection and see them to the left or right. I do notice the guys on the race type bike wave with the low "v" or peace symbol of the left hand almost straight down always, even in turns...impressive. I don't care if they don't give a wave back.
2002 Electra Glide
1978 750K
1966 CL77 (sold)
2020 CB500X