Author Topic: Japanese market CB750K7  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Short shins

• Enthusiast
  • New Zealand
Japanese market CB750K7
« on: October 22, 2014, 01:21:36 am »
Question for the SOHC gurus I have a 1977 CB750 K7 which happens to be a Japanese market model Has F2 style alloy footrest hangers. What I am looking for is a picture of what it should look like… Some time in its past mine has lost the headlamp brackets and original pipes indicators and who knows what else..

Thanks MT
I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know?”
Ernest Hemingway

Wobbly

Re: Japanese market CB750K7
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 04:00:34 am »
What an awesome bike--the only CB 750K with rear disc brake. The Japanese K7 looks identical with the regular K7 only that it uses the F2 swing arm and other needed parts of it  to fit the rear disc brake. The exhausts bracket looks a little different on the right side to provide room for the brake line.
I do have tank, side covers, exhaust with brackets (incl. the one in question) and collars  in excellent, near mint condition--but don't give things away cheap. I just sold the headlight brackets (ears). There is a new aftermarket exhaust out there which is true to the original, manufactured by the same factory (Sankei). The tank is also available new at CMS in the Netherlands, but for four times the price I am asking. It needs the tanks with the red, not the blue stripes (K8). Anyhow, look for K7 (parts (#405 series) on eBay. I am excited to see one of these again. Very, very rare. please, try to restore to original condition. It is worth it. Awesome bike. Take your time with it instead of shortcuts. Parts are not cheap, but this one is worth it.  This is a keeper or an investment. I envy you. I have only seen one before in my entire life.

Offline Short shins

• Enthusiast
  • New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:15:44 am »
Don’t worry I’m not Gunna turn it into a Chopped Bobber Café racer…
Consider it a rolling resto…
So if I start stockpiling K7 parts, the headlight brackets, indicators, side covers and such like I should be OK

It has aftermarket side covers The Oil Tank side is a plastic David Silver replica, the other one is made in Fiberglass! Very well made I might add
Can you point me in the direction of a parts list?

So far I have found the differences are minor. The swing arm and brake are F2 I am not sure about the wheel?
I guess it’s a K7 Rim but spokes? Standard K7? I will have to measure them..
Front end is K7 but the master cylinder has the brake light switch built in so F2 brake lever is required

I have never seen one either but one popped up on Trade Me (our Ebay) recently and it looked identical to mine (minus the fairing that’s a family heirloom from the 70’s)
Ernest Hemingway

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:00:12 am »
Rear wheel looks like F0-F1 spoked disc rear, I have a couple in my garage.. ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Wobbly

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 03:10:47 am »
The only things still available from Honda, and that is the route you should go, are the rims and spokes. It's been a while. but I believe the rear wheel being standard K7--the front is anyway. I know of no parts list for the Japanese K7--that's how rare it is. Work with the K7/F2 lists from here:
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750four_model14344/
None of the other parts, but the tank, is available from the N.O.S. Honda dealers worldwide. Most parts will become available in Europe. Being stationed in Germany with a domestic U.S. military address, I can help if you find things on EBay here. I have both side covers in the right color in mint condition, but I will sell them only with the mint tank combined. Just be patient and check EBay every so often. The aftermarket ones will have to go. If N.O.S. parts pop up, they cost a fortune. The last headlight bracket I saw sold for over $ 400 for one. This is the last--bare--tank worldwide I know off (other than the two I have) available from a specialized dealer, wrongly only listed under K8, for $ 1,600.00:
http://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cb750k-750-four-k-1978-usa_model7244/tank-assy-nh-1_17520405770zb/
Again, the exhaust is available new on EBay as OEM part--although not from Honda, Sankei made them as they did for Honda back in the day. You will have a hard time finding the right bracket as it differs, but the regular one will work. Again, I have one but sell the entire exhaust with all parts and cannot rip it apart. These remanufactured ones begin to disappear, and prices will go up again. A few years ago, before they were remanufactured, you could sell a NOS set for the price I paid for my K7 new back in 77.
I have the Honda Shop Manual for the K7/F2 and can copy and scan individual pages if you need help with something.

The brake switch on the K7 could be one or the other, depending on year and specs (K7 does not mean 1977 in every country). Even with the switch built-in, you can use the other setup, but why would you? If you need specific parts, I am glad to help to locate them in Germany. It's probably the biggest market for NOS parts. If you need to go with less expensive parts, start collecting and restoring them piece by piece.
For reference, this is the set I am selling. It's the color you need with the red pinstripe--not the blue. You can get decals and have your tank painted. With patience, you might find side covers that are not broken on EBay. In the end, this route will not be any less expensive unless you have the necessary expertise yourself. But if you just want to restore it to have fun with it yourself, and you are not looking at it as an investment, less than perfect will do. In any case, have fun. It's an awesome bike.

Offline faux fiddy

• Just becaus I'm the second post on the pissed off thread doesn't mean I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • bike in a box
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 03:14:51 am »
There was a cb450 at barber that had a rear disc. It was one of the better show bikes made to look '20's vintage. About the only original part was the head tubes and motor cradle and power.  It had flat split gas  tanks and looked bicyclish.

The  swingarm mods looked really simple and welds clean, and looked like factory Honda.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 03:16:50 am by faux fiddy »
^^^^^^^/l^^^^^^^^^^^^^^/l^^^
. . ______/ l_________________/  l
<'  '  '   '  o .  . . . . . . .................(
 ' VVVVV'   ')))))____>-''''''''''''''''''\  l
' . vvvv_   -              -                 \/

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 03:37:20 am »
Wobbly, Standard K7 was drum brake at the rear mate, F's had the discs and only the  F0-F1 had the spoked disc wheel...... ;)

What numbers are on the frame short shins, that looks like an f2 frame with k7-8 seat and tank with early F rear wheel, actually, to me it looks like a mix and match of a few models.... ;)  Take a pic of the tag and post it up mate...
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Wobbly

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 03:41:54 am »
Wobbly, Standard K7 was drum brake at the rear mate, F's had the discs and only the  F0-F1 had the spoked disc wheel...... ;)

What numbers are on the frame short shins, that looks like an f2 frame with k7-8 seat and tank with early F rear wheel, actually, to me it looks like a mix and match of a few models.... ;)  Take a pic of the tag and post it up mate...

Thank you--I own one for 37 years and had an F1 before that. You are not looking at a converted K7 here, but a standard K7, Japanese Specs. It come with the rear disc brake from the factory. A rear-disc brake with spoke-wire wheel that is, and a swing arm that is from the 410 (F2) series. That is what makes it so rare.

Wobbly

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 04:59:09 am »

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 03:56:02 pm »
Interesting, I would still like to see the frame numbers as it seems these Jap market bikes are a parts shop special, F2 frame and swing arm, F1 rear wheel and brakes and early K or F front wheel rear guard, K7 tank and seat, what else makes them different...?
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline goldarrow

• one day, i'll be an
  • Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 09:50:37 pm »
My K2 JDM only have very few and very minor differences than the US bikes. 
Life Is Full Of Challenges - And My Backyard Is Full Of SOHC4's

CB550 K0
CB750 K0, K2, K23 JDM, K45, K5
And the little ones z50r, xr50r, st90

750k5 http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=114817.0

Wobbly

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 10:13:28 pm »
Interesting, I would still like to see the frame numbers as it seems these Jap market bikes are a parts shop special, F2 frame and swing arm, F1 rear wheel and brakes and early K or F front wheel rear guard, K7 tank and seat, what else makes them different...?
I believe that neither the rear wheel nor brake are F1. If my memory serves me right, it's a K7 wheel, that is to say 4.50x17. The rear brake is F2, the front brake master cylinder is probably F2 as well. Everything else is K7. Again, this is the only Honda CB 750 K SOHC that comes stock with a rear disc brake. And that makes it both rare and highly collectable--even if the differences are small otherwise. You would be surprised what a small difference in a stamp might do to collectors value.  :)
Anyhow, most people do not know this and it seems that only one book briefly mentions the fact. I guess, it's a good question for Honda CB 750 Four trivia. I am always thrilled to see one, anyhow.

Offline Short shins

• Enthusiast
  • New Zealand
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 12:01:00 am »
Thanks for the Input Wobbly and Retro
Rear wheel is 17" Rear brake is F2 I have checked parts lists and also the rebuild kit I got for the rear master cylinder was for a F2
So I have to agree with Wobbly. think of it as a K7 with F2 Rear brake.

When I got my 750 I was puzzled by some aspects of it. The F2 style alloy footrest mounts. The strange frame number (CB750F-1100**2 supposedly it’s a 1975/750F0) but the Engine number (CB750E-2732**1) makes it a 1977K7.
Then there are the extra wires in the speedo unit and the jewel in the steering head nut.

I always wondered why someone would go to all the trouble of “changing“ an F2 to look like a K7, and when another 1977 CB750 appeared on our on line auction site Trade Me that looked exactly like mine well I was truly stumped

While on our last road trip I also noticed that the numbers on the speedo changed colour at the 80KMhr mark. Could it be a Japanese market bike I mused.
I then got the Mick Duckworth book on the CB750 and the answer was there buried on page 78
“the rear disc-equipped K7 for the Japanese market. This odd model also had the alloy footrest hanger plates as seen on its F2 Super Sports Model”

I have a Japanese Domestic market CB750.

I had no idea it was so rare… The new Sandcast perhaps… I feel nervous about the Gold wing alloy rims I was planning to mount up and all the parts to do the twin disc set up (I know I’m turning into an “I’m Gunna”!)

I have the parts list/manuals for K7 F2 I was hoping there was a specific lists for mine
At the moment I will continue to use it as the Maker intended and I shall continue to scour Ebay for parts as they come up (I have a couple of tanks on my watch list)
Will I do a full 100% resto on it? Dunno… Might be fun to get the speed warning light working.. And go from there

Gratuitous touring shot
Just after I got it

« Last Edit: October 24, 2014, 12:12:26 am by Short shins »
Ernest Hemingway

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 03:01:52 am »
How is the rear disc mounted to the hub?  Pics would be nice.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 03:31:54 am »
How is the rear disc mounted to the hub?  Pics would be nice.

I would say they have used excess F0-F1 hubs Sean, looks like the early rear disc..
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Short shins

• Enthusiast
  • New Zealand
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »
And to think I thought it was a backyard lash up and it may turn out to be a Factory Job  ;D
I'll take some detail pics this arvo and post them up.
Ernest Hemingway

Offline Short shins

• Enthusiast
  • New Zealand
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 02:06:53 am »
Hi Guys as promised rear wheel/Brake details

Took my Middle one (11) for his first longish ride on Saturday. Paekakariki Hill Road Pointing at some Hang Gliders
Ernest Hemingway

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 03:16:44 am »
Thanks for the pics...I got it now, indeed looks like f0/1 hub with k7/8 rim
If it works good, it looks good...

Wobbly

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 04:30:52 am »
So, what cam does it have? I know that the Japanese model does not have the F1 cam like all the others (two different sources tell me so). But in Mick's book, mentioned above, it states that it doesn't have the F2 cam either and only lists, I believe,  64 hp rather than the standard 67 (The F2 would have 73). So, it does have the previous K6 cam then, with the engine now being conform to the stricter environmental regulations, thus losing some hp? But why not the F1 cam that was conform and more powerful? I tell you, this bike is one big mystery. I also did not know--would love to see--about the changing colors of the speedometer at 80km/h. I searched for hours, I am not able to come up with a parts list--not that any of them would be available anyhow. Still, it be nice to know.
P.S.: I love the pic with your son. I started to take mine along when he was ten. Unlike the wife: no whining during the long rides (up to 13 hours--poor kid). But unlike the wive and daughter, he prefers the BMW.

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 05:52:20 am »
May well be the seating position for him, Wobbly. The higher pillion does help a young bum take some stress off his lower back. Plus, I'm sure the vroom-vroom of that SRR is an absolute cracker for him!
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Wobbly

« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 06:10:10 am »
I'm sure the vroom-vroom of that SRR is an absolute cracker for him
That's exactly what it is. But what he really likes best is driving himself--no matter how small the bike is (he now is only 14). So, I got him this little two-stroke, 50cc, Honda to practice so that he is ready by the time he turns 16.

Online calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2014, 06:30:01 am »
First bike for my boys was something similar: Suzuki GS500e. Twin, air cooled, carb'ed. Very narrow and light. Modern brakes and good semi-upright position. Bought for a few hundred bucks as they're plentiful and not prized.

Gave them a good base project to learn to rebuild too.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Short shins

• Enthusiast
  • New Zealand
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 12:14:14 am »
So what camshaft? I haven’t opened it up to have a look and I don’t think any of the previous owners have either so I have to go by what book says and assume it has a soft cam K6?
I do know it has PD carbs 115 mains but I went down to 110’s as it was a bit rich in the top end still is a bit wooly at WoT above 6k.. (Private roads honestly officer.) And it has 35 pilots, I haven’t dived I much further to see what the needles are but I guess it’s all standard K7.
Yes I gave up searching for parts lists as well, I will have to work with what I have F1, F2 and K7 lists and hope for the best I have been lucky so far with ordering parts, The only error was the front brake lever..

Cockpit shot Note lines change colour above 80k and Jewel in steering head nut

Now that the middle one has had a longish ride I now have 2 kids demanding rides! The eldest Daughter is 14 and has been on a couple of longish day trips and she is asking to go on the “Lads” weekend trips, Not gunna happen!!

The youngest is 7 and has had a couple of short rides around the yard.  Our (the Wife’s) rule was at least 10 years old, full gear and able to reach the pegs easily and listen to instructions. So far it’s all been good   
Ernest Hemingway