Author Topic: 1973 CB750 Four K3 -- Project "Terry's Fault" -- BUILD RESUMED  (Read 60473 times)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
Re: 1973 CB750 Four K3 -- Project "Terry's Fault" -- RECONDITIONING
« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2016, 09:12:33 pm »
So the seat pan is saved, got new foam via a coupon email from z1 too. Gotta find me my electric carver and get choppin soon. Need to find some edge liner first too.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #251 on: January 22, 2016, 09:10:17 pm »
Found my electric carving knife, so I had at it. I practiced on the original foam that was on the pan, not sure what quality it is but it was very soft and I could free hand shape it like hot knife through butter. The z1 repop foam is a different animal, MUCH firmer. I know nothing about this stuff so I can't say if firmer is necessarily better or worse. It took some force to get the knife to bite and cut through, which meant imperfect cuts. I slowed down and left plenty of cushion to manually scrape later. Despite that, ended up with two small spots that were cut a few mm deeper than I wanted, so I glued back some thin strips and shaved them off to level again. Starting to look like what I want it be but has more work to be done.

I'm having no luck finding the proper sized edge trim. Most places only have fat ugly car door crap that's useless for this. Any suggestions?

Offline rddcw

• Hot Shot
« Reply #252 on: January 23, 2016, 04:36:15 am »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120934462094?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not sue if this is what your looking for ?

Also HVCcyle has some too.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #253 on: January 23, 2016, 10:14:49 pm »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/120934462094?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not sue if this is what your looking for ?

Also HVCcyle has some too.
I used one of these on a seat recently. It looks OK. It's not quite wide enough (for "purist" rebuilders like me!?), but it does a nice job of accenting the seat line. :) I'll use it again on the K4 when I get to it.

Where did the foam come from, EM? I need one for the K4, and maybe for my own butt, too....
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:16:56 pm by HondaMan »
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #254 on: January 24, 2016, 09:55:43 am »
@rddcw: Thanks, but that's the trim that goes OVER the final cover. I'm looking for one much thinner that goes on the pan edges to keep it from knifing through the foam and cover. I do not have plans for using an outer one for this seat (even the gas tank isn't getting those trims).

@Mark, the foam is form Z1

http://z1parts.net/seat-foam-honda-cb750-k2-k3-k4-k5-k6-1972-1976/

Its pretty tough, almost comparable to the NOS stocker on my K2. I happen to be on their mailing list and bought it using a coupon for 15% off or something like that. Had the same luck when buying new fork tubes too, very good site ;)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #255 on: January 26, 2016, 04:12:00 pm »
Picked up the final bits from the coaters'. Somehow I had forgotten the cam chain tensioner cover, so still have to make one more trip to grab that. Trivial amount of touch up is needed on the valve train cover as seen in Pic 2. Better that, than having to chase out powder from them pesky threads. Finned oil cap for the added 1.5HP with extra oil cooling and better thigh burn patterns  :P :P :P

I tore up the seat that came on this K3 and dropped of the seat pan today. Will save it for a future build or something. Still have the chrome set of covers collecting dust, so if someone wants them, PM me please. No dyno and clutch covers though, rest are all there.

Need to get back to finishing up the seat, current hold up is a custom order Luimoto Gold Gel pad kit (coming from Vancouver I think) and edge protector. I may just end up saving the old one as I'm not having any luck finding one that will crimp/bite on to the bare pan well enough.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #256 on: January 27, 2016, 09:30:16 pm »
Broke down and bought a bearing race and seal driver kit. No caveman approach with precious Lesters ;D What a breeze! No heat gun, no nonsense. Quick and clean test install. I'll have to find and clean up the spacers for the Lesters before I can install the new SKFs on them. So went back to the seat for a bit, smoothed out the sharp corners and sanded it level. There is still a very small depression on the pillion side that needs filling, or alternatively cutting down the seat some more. I will just level it flush with a thin foam sheet. The rider side is pretty flat and the teeny depression there will go away when I make the cut out for the gel insert (I know, need to account for it when measuring the cutout).

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #257 on: January 29, 2016, 11:23:33 pm »
Custom order Gold Gel Kit from Luimoto arrived today! Quick test on a chair, this thing is comfy! The final lining foam is what was a pain in their kits, the 750 seat needed different dimensions.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #258 on: January 29, 2016, 11:28:28 pm »
Marked and cut the gel pad to fit, then cut up the area in a grid to peel off small squares. Their instructional video is excellent. I don't have a razor blade scraper and had to improvise, not perfect seating surface but its leveled right for the gel pad. I sanded it down to smooth it some more and make the pad sit a hair lower. This way when the foam around it gets compressed when pulling over the liner and cover, the gel pad won't stick out. The pad is adhesive backed but the foam isn't. Need some final finishing touches to ensure nice and flat surfaces on both sides, then finish it up. Found a local guy who does motorcycle seat work, will have a cover made through him.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #259 on: January 30, 2016, 11:57:44 pm »
Well, I got the seat as far as I could take it. Time to let a pro do the final top cover. After much back and forth, I decided to shave down a few more mm for the gel insert and add a layer of thin foam below it for added cradling. I guess I've been reading too much ;D Anyway, love the adhesive backed gel pad, super easy clean install. Gluing the foam to the pan is what was messy, damn spray glue >:( I bought the 74 which is supposed to be the tough bonding with fast curing kind, and boy they aren't kidding! Had very little time to line things up and only at this point is where I realized that the Z1 foam is not 100% perfect. But hey, this was way better than starting from scratch. Installed you can't tell where the issues are, but they're annoying during assembly. After the pan went on, checked for flatness for the umpteenth time, then misted the foam with the spray glue and added the gold gel foam liner. Have to cut off some excess and clean up the nose a bit, then I'll be dropping it off at MTZ Customs for the cover.

I was thinking about doing the cover myself too, but the missus won't let me anywhere near her sewing machine.  Sharing the Singer Mineral Oil is about all I can do  ;D ;D Anyone know of a good source for buying heat stamped pleated vinyl?

Offline Restoration Fan

• My wife will never call me
  • Master
« Reply #260 on: January 31, 2016, 04:28:44 am »
Rafi,
That's going to be the most thoroughly engineered seat ever on a SOHC.  Well done, my man.

Maybe you can market it?  The Buttmaster 2000 perhaps?  :D

Ron
Ron

Stella - Logan's Senior Project    78 750K http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=141761.0

Logan's Reward - CB500 and CB550 Cafes    http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,147787.0.html

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #261 on: January 31, 2016, 07:53:44 am »
Rafi,
That's going to be the most thoroughly engineered seat ever on a SOHC. 

+1!  Curious to why, though?   Do you find the stock seat that uncomfortable, Candyass?! (As my Dad use to say.....ha!)
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #262 on: January 31, 2016, 08:10:04 am »
Do you find the stock seat that uncomfortable, Candyass?! (As my Dad use to say.....ha!)
LOL! Or, Powder-puff Panties as they say where I live  ;D ;D ;D
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #263 on: January 31, 2016, 08:18:34 am »
Do you find the stock seat that uncomfortable, Candyass?! (As my Dad use to say.....ha!)
LOL! Or, Powder-puff Panties as they say where I live  ;D ;D ;D

Haven't heard that one but like it!   
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #264 on: January 31, 2016, 12:11:46 pm »
Yea, the stock one on my K2 isn't too comfortable for extended riding. The Z1 foam is tougher still. This only gets worse for me because I have a bad disc and chronic lower back issues.  I'm not getting any younger and at my age, I need all the bum support I can get  :P  :P

I do have a second seat pan that is at the PC shop right now, so if someone really wants me to, I can possibly make another provided the supplies are taken care of. The Buttmaster 2000 sounds familiar, wasn't that a toilet bowl cushion? ;D ;D

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #265 on: February 01, 2016, 07:20:12 pm »
Seat rubbers cleaned up nicely, although I may look around for better ones later depending on budget. Lesters got new SKFs today, once again, installation was a breeze thanks to the proper tool. I did realize however, that the snap ring retainer for the rear hub is missing. I can't remember exactly but I think I destroyed it on removal. Gotta go resurrect that Lester thread to ask for replacement info. Need a good tax return this year, them Lesters need some Roadriders  8)

Also noticed that the brake drum meat is not integrated like the stock hubs, so possibly replaceable if too worn out? I do intend to get the drum cut and trued now that the bearings are in. Thoughts?

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #266 on: February 06, 2016, 01:45:07 pm »
Quick Op. Poll: Against the black magic powder, what would look better?

Yellow chromate (high contrast) or
Clear/Blue (subtle contrast)

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #267 on: February 06, 2016, 02:26:40 pm »
I vote clear/blue

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #269 on: February 06, 2016, 09:32:55 pm »
Hmm, clear/blue is pretty popular ;)

Anyway, Tom Gugliotta and I had been chatting about ways to get a more bright finish so we changed up the recipe a bit. Ditched the corn syrup and added vanillin instead. Not only is the finish much much brighter than last time, the pieces smell like candy ;D ;D

Chromate passivation will dull this, but I don't want to plate them again, so no biggie. Started with a few easy large pieces while we had a relatively warm day. Had to set up the lab indoors with a space heater (not idea, best done out in a garage in summer, but I'm on a deadline now). Pic 2 without flash, Pic 3 with flash.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #270 on: February 07, 2016, 07:56:01 pm »
Not a bad weekend, managed to finish all the easy pieces. Saving the smaller stuff for another weekend. By popular choice, its clear/blue chromated. I still may do the center stand pivot and c-bracket gold because the new spring will not be clear/blue. Even experimented with targeted plating before wrapping up, wanted the end that sticks out for the  kickstarter shaft plated, came out good. Need to rig up the shifter shaft somehow next time.

Offline Trad

• Expert
« Reply #271 on: February 07, 2016, 10:45:08 pm »
Those pieces turned out amazing. Such attention to detail on your builds, too good!
74 CB550 Build: NOS-GUTTED-OEMplus-HOLDTRUE
http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,130575.0.html

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #272 on: February 08, 2016, 09:05:35 am »
Thanks! Trying to limit it this time around, going after a long term low-maintenance build so only NLA hardware is getting redone.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #273 on: February 10, 2016, 08:35:17 pm »
OK, quickly back to the seat for a bit. Stopped by MTZ customs, some really great work on custom car interiors but I'm afraid they might just be beyond my budget. Plus, cost would only get worse since they said they'd have to order the heat stamped vinyl I want for the top. So I decided to give it a go myself, promised the wife that I'll replace her sewing machine with a better one if I broke it. Found the vinyl I was looking for on ebay, but their stock pix didn't show the filler underneath  >:( >:( I REALLY don't like that caterpillar look. I cut out a sample and just hulked the padding apart ;D ;D Turned out exactly how I wanted it to look, pleated but flat  8) Have the matching unpleated side and belt vinyl with it, just need to wait till my wife can order some heavy duty thread and needles.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #274 on: February 10, 2016, 08:36:54 pm »
Also, VJMC magazine subscribers, look for my detailed piece on polishing aluminum in the current issue ;) That was the most asked about question followed by DIY zinc plating.