Author Topic: 1973 CB750 Four K3 -- Project "Terry's Fault" -- BUILD RESUMED  (Read 59356 times)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: 1973 CB750 Four K3 -- Project "Terry's Fault" -- RECONDITIONING
« Reply #400 on: May 10, 2016, 03:19:53 pm »
I really dont know.  I was under the impression that the only real difference in the faces was the redline rpm.  I would compare as many part numbers as possible between 550's and 750's.  All I can really tell you for sure is if you slap a stock 550 tach on a stock 750, it will report an obviously too high rpm.  This I have done.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #401 on: May 10, 2016, 03:40:12 pm »
The tach drive gear is different between 500/550 to a 650/750. To use a 550 gauge on a 750 motor, you need to change the gear. I have not heard of simply changing the face to correct the readout. Guess we will know soon...
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #402 on: May 10, 2016, 06:11:01 pm »
The tach drive gear is different between 500/550 to a 650/750. To use a 550 gauge on a 750 motor, you need to change the gear. I have not heard of simply changing the face to correct the readout. Guess we will know soon...
If you're talking about the gear under the valve train cover, that's what I had asked earlier, would much rather do that if possible, but looks like a full redo is in order.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #403 on: May 14, 2016, 10:16:51 pm »
Progress has pretty much stalled out because of this awful mindset I'm struggling to get out of. Had to deal with a super schitty vendor who'll promptly take your money but treat you like schit when there's an issue. I have nothing nice to say on the matter, so I'll end the rant there.

Finally felt motivated to get back to it, so started putting the trans back together. Was about to finish installing new SKFs then noticed that one of the snap rings isn't seating fully flush like the rest of them. Its on the main shaft, easy enough to get to as long as the bearing isn't on there. Held off on installing the bearing for now, what do you guys think? Find a replacement or this'll do?

Other than that, it went pretty smooth. Assembled using motor oil directly this time as this may not be sitting out much longer if things go well.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:24:42 pm by edwardmorris »

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #404 on: May 15, 2016, 07:26:01 am »
I know once you get moving with progress, you don't want to stop. Been there many times. But, I would not re-use that snap ring. It looks deformed, and can get magnified while moving. Just my non-scientific opinion.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #405 on: May 15, 2016, 09:26:39 am »
Thanks Dave, that's my concern as well, especially at high RPM shifts, I'll look for a better one.

Offline 02z06dave

• Hot Shot
« Reply #406 on: May 15, 2016, 10:23:03 am »
Thanks Dave, that's my concern as well, especially at high RPM shifts, I'll look for a better one.

Let me know if you need one. I have a few sitting around, I'm sure

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #407 on: May 15, 2016, 10:28:24 am »

Let me know if you need one. I have a few sitting around, I'm sure
I do! PM incoming, thanks Dave!

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #408 on: May 15, 2016, 12:27:58 pm »
Got the bearings installed for all except the crank case and main shaft, will get to that after the snap ring is sorted. Please take a look at pic 4, I can't recall exactly from the K2, but does this bearing sit slightly proud like this?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #409 on: May 15, 2016, 07:45:14 pm »
I'd replace that snap ring......and make sure the sharp edge is facing outside.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #410 on: May 17, 2016, 11:05:18 pm »
Thanks Mike, going to wait for a better one for sure.

Today I thought I'd get one of the top three least fun things out of the way, damned redo of the gauges. I had a set of brand new faces and lenses from Marcel that I was saving for another set of gauges but decided to use it now. Totally abandoned the custom faces I had made for this build on the first round of gauges. Carefully took them apart without hurting any of the nice powder coat done by Marc. Found a relatively cheap set of correct K3 gauges and put them together. The old incorrect set from the lesser honda will stay disassembled because I could care less right now. Have some new rubbers on the way for these, will also redo the wiring with new sleeving and refresh the terminals. Nevermind the dirt/spots, they're on my phone, not on the gauges.

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #411 on: May 18, 2016, 06:53:59 am »
Nice!  Just received my K1 guages back from Marcel, his parts and workmanship are second to none.
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #412 on: May 18, 2016, 08:18:51 am »
Nice!  Just received my K1 guages back from Marcel, his parts and workmanship are second to none.
Thanks, saw that yesterday and decided to get mine out of the way too! Getting better at it, this one was done within 6 hrs.

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #413 on: May 18, 2016, 10:03:31 am »
The sight of those minty-fresh Marcel gauges gave you meter-envy, so you decided to break the seal on yours! ;)  Very, very nice gauges!
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #414 on: May 18, 2016, 10:35:12 am »
The sight of those minty-fresh Marcel gauges gave you meter-envy, so you decided to break the seal on yours! ;)  Very, very nice gauges!
haha, no, I don't like working on these at all since I don't have whatever magic tool Marcel uses to do the crimping. I had to find a set and start over because the ones I had ready to go were deemed incompatible with the 750s. I'm waiting on a snap ring for the trans to arrive, as soon as that's here I'll be readying the cases to go back together...

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
Re: 1973 CB750 Four K3 -- Project "Terry's Fault" -- SLOW ASSEMBLY
« Reply #415 on: May 18, 2016, 02:28:05 pm »

I don't have whatever magic tool Marcel uses to do the crimping.

I'm guessing he had that tool custom made.  I've been told the Honda gauges were not intended to be opened up. Thats kept me out of them!
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #416 on: May 18, 2016, 02:32:15 pm »

I don't have whatever magic tool Marcel uses to do the crimping.

I'm guessing he had that tool custom made.  I've been told the Honda gauges were not intended to be opened up. Thats kept me out of them!
Most likely to keep people from tampering numbers, but 40 years later no one seems to care anymore. We need that special tool states side and possibly a local service for the work and save intl shipping.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #417 on: May 19, 2016, 09:06:21 pm »
The circlip for the main shaft came in from Dave B, so main shaft got put together. Installed the bell over the reman primary and put the new clutch in the marinade, will button it all up tomorrow. New rubbers for the gauges got here today, need to finish those up soon. Next up is thread chasing the crankcases and installing studs/kickstarter etc. in prep for closing them up.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #418 on: May 20, 2016, 08:23:17 pm »
Clutch went together, now I can't remember what happened with the K2. With that "fat" washer under the inner hub, the whole thing isn't sitting flush with the shaft. I took it off and tried, then it sits flush. I know the big washer can't be skipped, but wanted to double check that this looks ok. Have it tied up for now, but torque it down after confirming nothing is off.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #419 on: May 20, 2016, 08:27:49 pm »
Also looking for recommendations on a cam degreeing wheel, would be ideal if I could find a clear one that I can use on the ignition side as opposed to the dynamo side.

Offline HondaMan

• Someone took this pic of me before I became a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ...not my choice, I was nicknamed...
    • Getting 'em Back on the Road
« Reply #420 on: May 20, 2016, 09:38:19 pm »
Clutch went together, now I can't remember what happened with the K2. With that "fat" washer under the inner hub, the whole thing isn't sitting flush with the shaft. I took it off and tried, then it sits flush. I know the big washer can't be skipped, but wanted to double check that this looks ok. Have it tied up for now, but torque it down after confirming nothing is off.

The hub must sit outbound of the splines, or else the dished torque washer has no way to torque it to the mainshaft. So, the hub does not sit flush with those splines down inside. If all is well, installing the dished washer (dome toward you) will flatten somewhat to 'spring out' the mainshaft into the heart of the clutch hub. This helps establish the all-important distance to that troublesome 4th gear on the other end: if the nut ends up just about flush when torqued onto the mainshaft (to hold the basket), then the mainshaft will be the same length it was when Honda's techs installed the shim on the other side of the 5th gear, against the far bearing, and the 4th gear spacing will come out just right.

Once in a while, I have seen where swapping the primary sprocket out for a new one changes this distance. The result can be either a very stiff shift into 4th gear, or no 4th gear at all (or it jumps out of 4th), as we have sometimes seen in posts around here. If the distance between the primary sprocket and the 4th gear is such that the 4th gear splines do not clear 5th well, it is hard shifting and needs a thinner shim on the other side of the 5th gear. Vice-versa if 4th gear tries to disappear.

If (you do this and) you have the old primary sprocket in this case, measure the thickness where they meet the mainshaft. If they are identical, great! If they vary more than 0.5mm, you may have to play the 'spacer game' on the other end of the mainshaft, against that bearing over there.
See SOHC4shop@gmail.com for info about the gadgets I make for these bikes.

The demons are repulsed when a man does good. Use that.
Blood is thicker than water, but motor oil is thicker yet...so, don't mess with my SOHC4, or I might have to hurt you.
Hondaman's creed: "Bikers are family. Treat them accordingly."

Link to Hondaman Ignition: http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=67543.0

Link to My CB750 Book: https://www.lulu.com/search?adult_audience_rating=00&page=1&pageSize=10&q=my+cb750+book

Link to website: www.SOHC4shop.com

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #421 on: June 01, 2016, 10:56:03 am »
Thanks Mark, for that awesome detail. Mine sat flush at 35ft-lbs, everything looks to be working smooth (and the trans is backcut) so put it all together.

I've been struggling lately, I don't know why but it has been really difficult to focus on finishing up this build when I'm so close. A lousy experience with a vendor started the derailment, I fought it off and kept working on it until I got the primary shaft sorted (above). After that, for almost 3 weeks, I simply couldn't get myself to do anything further and I can't explain what's wrong. Was keeping busy with work and the long weekend was coming up, so I decided to shake off this nonsense and power through the engine assembly. Took some time off, got the cases ready, assembled the crankshaft, installed the new main HD studs (installed height method with red loctite, don't ever do these with the "bottoming out" method, guaranteed set up for failure), then began collecting everything to close up the cases.

It was bad enough I was struggling with the build, my house decided to drown me, chimney leak is back with a vengeance (5, FIVE! roofers have looked at it quoted me unrealistic amounts, they pretty much know I'm screwed now) AND the sewer decided to back up, slowly leaking back into the basement's lowest drain. Quite a bit of money literally down the drain but the sewer situation is contained, still working on the roof, may have to DIY patch it again to kick the can down the road till I find a decent roofer.

That burnt through much of my time off, so back to the check list and now, for the life of me I can't find the large retaining ring that goes on the final driven shaft, and the retaining pin for the kickstarter shaft. As painfully organized as I am, and can recall bright as day in my head two ziplock bags marked with those parts, I have yet to find them after almost 36 hours of ransacking the place. So the engine assembly has stalled out, making my mindset MUCH worse now. I've started looking for replacements as there is no point wasting time looking for them, they'll turn up if they're still here, but I have a feeling they've shifted to another dimension.

Sorry, I know its not quite the anticipated update, but I really am struggling and needed to vent. I know I'll finish it, I just hope I get my drive back soon.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #422 on: September 06, 2016, 10:40:04 am »
OK folks, could really use a motivational speech right about now. Its been a challenging summer to say the least. Work, family, home, pretty much anything that could, got in the way and the build had stalled out. The power plant is at 95% completion, needs the cam degreed to finish it up. Should be rolling smooth after that I hope, but lets just see. The above mentioned sewer and roof repairs are finally underway once I secured some down payment and financing arrangements, just need to refocus on the build while the rest keeps going....

Offline mashfu

• Enthusiast
« Reply #423 on: September 06, 2016, 12:35:43 pm »
Well if these are what you need i got you sir!

Offline Terry in Australia

• Really Old Timer ...
  • So, what do ya wanna talk about today?
« Reply #424 on: September 06, 2016, 06:35:10 pm »
I don't know about motivational speeches Rafi, but like you said, you're so close now, you just have to get it done so you can ride it before your winter sets in!

Here on the other side of the pond the weather is slowly improving, and even though my CB750's are safely ensconced in my garage in Melbourne (I work 400 miles away in Canberra) I'll be doing some work on my old K1 in the weekends leading up to summer, not to mention finishing Mike's Café Racer so I can give it back to him at long last. Luckily I've got my Yamaha FJR1300 and Honda VFR750 here in Canberra to keep me amused.

Take a leaf out of Nike's book mate, and just do it! Cheers, Terry. ;D
I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldn't afford new bike boots, until I met a man with no legs.

So I said, "Hey mate, you haven't got any bike boots you don't need, do you?"

"Crazy is a very misunderstood term, it's a fine line that some of us can lean over and still keep our balance" (thanks RB550Four)