Author Topic: 1973 CB750 Four K3 -- Project "Terry's Fault" -- BUILD RESUMED  (Read 60368 times)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
Re: 1973 CB750 Four K3 -- Project "Terry's Fault" -- TEAR DOWN
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2015, 08:20:23 pm »
I hope so, gonna ask around about that fine.

Had a few hours to kill so went right back to the engine. Took off pistons, covers, starter motor (wiring is atrocious on this one), dynamo, shifter assembly, basically everything to split the cases. The infamous four flat screws on the countershaft bearing holder. Went straight for the big boy impact driver and it made quick work of the first three. The fourth, the crosspoint basically strip on contact so had to be drilled out, thankfully without much trouble (pic1).

Next undid all the case bolts, there is just insane amounts of the powdery anti-seize from the factory (pic2).

Then the cases put up a good fight refusing to split, but eventually the seal gave in. They weren't coming apart because the tranny wasn't in neutral and somehow grabbed on to the shifter fork (OCICBW, but there was resistance). I turned the final drive sprocket to get it into neutral and they came apart.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2015, 08:26:53 pm »
Before the split, I did take the clutch lifter assembly off. I could hear Terry in the back of my head yelling "Be careful and go criss cross, gently only half turn at a time  ;D ;D ;D" Undid the main shaft retainer, but for some reason the nut isn't budging. I don't have the tool for it but on my K2, I gently tapped it loose with a flat head, then used a large socket with some welding wire (details somewhere in the K2 thread). This one seems to be on there pretty bad as it ain't budging. Left it for now, will order the tool for it (good to have anyway, K2 assembly is on the horizon).

Everything on the inside looks pretty good, cases have markings BBBBB, just hoping that the crank has all As, makes getting bearings easier. Notice the final drive bearings, this one has the fatso kind, and neither has a groove in it. This engine too, wasn't ever opened before so that's how they came from the factory (people following my K2 thread know what I'm talking about here), so the fiche has to be wrong.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #102 on: March 01, 2015, 02:51:33 pm »
Emptied the cases today, all ready to head out for cleaning blasting and PC.

The little kick start bugger was being a pain as usual, had to introduce him to my good friend Wagner  ;D

Got the trans out, mineral spirits bath and bagged away. Was ready to pull the oil pump out when this drilled oil pan bolt nearly gave me a cardy  :o Looks like someone drilled it out at one point and reused it.

Oil pump is surprisingly clean. Thankfully the bolt wasn't drilled too deep, won't matter anyway, going all stainless.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #103 on: March 01, 2015, 02:56:40 pm »
Having the right tools is half the battle. The clutch basket nut was on there pretty bad, had to set it up in my trusty vise and used the motion pro tool, came off after a little fight.

I distinctly remember having clearance issues using my Craftsman deep wells when removing the connecting rod bolts on the K2. Since I was removing them, I ended up using an open ended wrench to get them out. Shortly after that, I noticed that Ed Haeuser went through his K1 build and ran into the same issue. Only he thinned out his socket to make it work  8) 8). I bought that socket from him to use during my K2 assembly, but it sure came in handy today!

Finally the crank, my wish came true, its all AAAAA, meaning all green bearings  8) The rods are 3333 and H/2, need to look that up, but I'm glad they're all the same. K2 had them both different  >:(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2016, 10:26:47 am by edwardmorris »

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2015, 04:43:12 pm »
The cases, cylinders and head are at the machine shop getting cleaned and blasted. Been cleaning up bits and pieces to get to the powder coater as I find time. Covers cleaned up nicely to reveal several places where the chrome is chipping off and some rather deep gouges. Will level those out and have the coated. Was going to save the chrome tappet covers but those are the worst with the chipping  >:(

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2015, 04:47:00 pm »
Goodies from Marc/Powderman arrived Friday. Haven't had much time between work and taking care of my lady as she recovers from the season illness, but found some time today. Gotta love Marc's work, I told him I didn't want a stock look on the controls and he nailed it! Functions and OFFs are gloss white, parameters are flame red. Master cyl looks so naked without its decal, need to order that now.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2015, 04:52:29 pm »
The lower shells for these are a big thanks to Bill Benton, this guy is AMAZING. He sent me a whole bunch of controls to figure out what I needed. The lower shells on mine were modified to fit non stock bars, so that's all I needed. Found just one that matched the LHS, and a few for RHS in Bill's inventory. Of course, I only have one left side, pressure is on, and a damn screw refuses to budge and strips. I made things worse by drilling it cockeyed  :o Then after a lot of cursing and crapping out, I found a machine screw, cut it to the right length and it tapped itself in there nicely. LHS is done with new sleeving, cleaned and lubed controls, nice and smooth. Have I mentioned how much I LOVE my JIS drivers and how much I HATE spring loaded balls  ;D

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2015, 04:54:57 pm »
RHS was a much easier affair, remember the damned kill switch knob that stumped me on my K2 build, I found a use for it  ;D ;D ;D

Preview of things to come, new gauge lenses ordered from Marcel, and a large box of goodies in en-route from JT.

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2015, 06:35:44 pm »
Holy crap those coated parts look amazing. That lettering is perfect

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2015, 09:28:05 pm »
Holy crap those coated parts look amazing. That lettering is perfect
Thanks! PC controls (lettering too) and MC = no need to worry THAT much about brake fluid spills  ;D ;D

Another preview 8) 8)

Those carbs have yet to gasahol. How do I know? The posts haven't been eaten away yet. Where did I get them originally? -> Bill Benton  8) 8) Who did the PC? -> James/Harisuluv  8) 8)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 09:33:28 pm by edwardmorris »

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2015, 10:28:32 pm »
The powdercoat on the controls and carburetors looks great.  The fine letter detail is superb.
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline Powderman

• Master
    • Creative Candy Powder Coating
« Reply #111 on: March 16, 2015, 12:32:27 pm »
All colors on the controls are powder coat and not paint. i did the gauge housings and bezels and turn signal pods also. The exposed threads on the pods have been treated to keep from rusting also.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 12:42:57 pm by Powderman »

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #112 on: March 19, 2015, 08:02:14 pm »
Well the engine is back all clean and blasted, time to compulsively clean them, then send off to the coaters. The shop guys installed the rubber inserts back in place. Good thing I already have a full new set of Franken Finserts  8)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #113 on: March 20, 2015, 12:33:48 pm »
The MC Decal arrived via Royal Mail from the UK. Couldn't wait so I put it on  8)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #114 on: March 20, 2015, 07:26:57 pm »
Never thought I'd be taking an angle grinder to the frame, but I had to. Got rid of the hideous welded on grab rail, still need to grind down what's left of it. Swingarm collar looks like a goner.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #115 on: March 21, 2015, 04:17:03 pm »
Got a whole lot done today but no pix of anything yet.

Frame is fully torn down bare, missing the "quiet memo" holes, so will need to make those. There are breather holes on the cross bar that mounts the center stand and rust was pouring out of there like a fountain. Ordered Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating, this frame sure needs it.

Gordon's Frame Kit should get here tomorrow, will be making the cuts on the frame tomorrow as well and hopefully get it welded on Monday. Cutting up for the frame kit greatly speeds up the Internal Coating too.

Steering bearing races are out, balls went all over the garage and I just couldn't give a schit.

Front rotor is off, but the rear wheel sprocket carrier nuts are stuck on there pretty bad, may need to take it to the autoshop and use the impact driver. Same for the crank as well.

Heat gun is becoming more and more useful and go to tool. Took out the speedo drive screw nicely and tottally rusted and banged up bleeder.

Managed to fully strip the allen heads on the large bolts on the caliper, exploring options on how to deal with that.

LOTS AND LOTS of parts washed up and tossed into boxes marked zinc and powder.

I probably did more, can't remember as I can't feel my limbs anymore ;D ;D ;D

Offline Davez134

• Expert
« Reply #116 on: March 22, 2015, 09:40:46 am »
Sounds like a good day! I gotta find a new one now, I miss torturing myself with all that crap!

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #117 on: March 22, 2015, 11:18:30 am »
Sounds like a good day! I gotta find a new one now, I miss torturing myself with all that crap!
I can help you out there bud, how about a weekend in Chi town? I'm sure I've got enough going to share the torture ;D ;D ;D

Will be switching builds today, float height tool arrived, so might get the K2 carbs back together. Aiming to get things set for closing up the cases next weekend on that one, now that the K3 is all in boxes and garage has freed up.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2015, 08:15:07 am »
That black powder coat is amazing... In one word, what's the vision for this bike?
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2015, 09:38:26 am »
... In one word, what's the vision for this bike?

Stealth.

Offline evanphi

• Apparently I'm an
  • Old Timer
  • Rhonda the Basket Case
« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2015, 11:23:51 am »
... In one word, what's the vision for this bike?

Stealth.

Looking forward to it!
--Evan

1975 CB750K "Rhonda"
Delkevic Stainless 4-1 Header, Cone Engineering 18" Quiet Core Reverse Cone, K&N Filter in Drilled Airbox
K5 Crankcase/Frame, K4 Head and Cylinders, K1 Carbs (42;120;1 Turn)

She's a mix-matched (former) basket case, but she's mine.

CB750 Shop Manual (all years), searchable text PDF
Calculating the correct input circumference for digital speedometers connected to the original speedometer drive

Offline SOHC4 Cafe Racer Fan

• Speak up, Whipper-Snapper! I'm a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • SOHC/4 Member #1235
« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2015, 12:29:53 pm »
Stealth as in matte black.  Nice!  Is this where you are going with the chrome/polished engine covers, too?
1975 CB550K1 "Blue" Stockish Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=135005.0)
1975 CB550F1 frame/CB650 engine hybrid "The Hot Mess" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,150220.0.html)
2008 Triumph Thruxton (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,190956.0.html)
2014 MV Agusta Brutale Dragster 800
2015 Yamaha FZ-09 (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,186861.0.html)

"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them — but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one.... Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba." Hunter S. Thompson, Song of the Sausage Creature, Cycle World, March 1995.  (http://www.latexnet.org/~csmith/sausage.html and https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1995/3/1/song-of-the-sausage-creature)

Sold/Emeritus
1973 CB750K2 "Bionic Mongrel" (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132734.0) - Sold
1977 CB750K7 "Nine Lives" Restomod (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=50490.0) - Sold
2005 RVT1000RR RC51-SP2 "El Diablo" - Sold
2016+ Triumph Thruxton 1200 R (http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,170198.0.html) - Sold

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2015, 02:43:54 pm »
Absolutely nothing polished and extremely limited chrome on this one. Its a very dark theme, as will be revealed in good time ;)

After doing the K2, I just wanted something totally opposite, more to my liking. Stock config just has way too much chrome and polish but I'll admit, looks pretty darn good with the Ruby Reds and Candy Golds.

Hardware wise going all stainless everywhere except for special bolts, unless a certain skilled gentleman I know is willing to spin them out for me  ;D ;D ;D ;D Limiting zinc plating to medium-large pieces and carb bits only. I absolutely hate allen and button heads, so James Spillane is working on a custom set of covers screws for me. Also accounted for the odd length finned covers, really cool guy  8)

For now, focusing time and effort to get the K2 on the road, and getting this one sent away to various departments so its not hogging up space.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 02:50:11 pm by edwardmorris »

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #123 on: March 26, 2015, 09:29:49 pm »
Well, terrible start for a weekend, going to be freezing tomorrow so can't do much in the garage with either the internal frame coating stuff or using hondabond to wrap up the bottom end on the K2  >:(

Worse yet, my ultrasonic cleaner died tonight, right after it fell out of warranty so I couldn't get my cam towers cleaned properly. Cleaned them up by hand for now, will try and fix the cleaner if I can or just get another one as I seem to use it all the time.

These are the ones I got from Bill via trading some goodies, they are near new with almost no wear at all.

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2015, 10:29:35 pm »
Sorted. Some detail here http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php/topic,146273.0.html

Ended up replacing the ultrasonic cleaner and cleaned them up well. These will work out ok. Still pretty cold out here to work on the K2 engine, might knock out some more tasks on this build tomorrow after work.