Author Topic: Any other mods I should do while its apart?  (Read 4211 times)

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
Any other mods I should do while its apart?
« on: November 11, 2014, 12:00:19 am »
As the title states I am looking for some advice on anything else I should do to the engine internals while it is apart. I am still a good month away from putting it back together and at this point this project will be done when it's done.

What I have so far:
- lightened crank from APE
- new primary chain
- new clutch
- new cam chain, guide and slipper
- adjustable cam sprocket
- DP592/61s pistons
- Yoshi billet A grind cam
- motogpwerks 4 into 1 stainless exhaust
- case decked, cylinders bored and honed
- rebuilt starter
- hondaman digital ignition  --- No more late posting for me. Should say "Electric Transistorized" ---
- HD studs and nuts
- all new seals and rubber
- stainless steel case bolts

Upcoming on the purchase list:
- CR26 carbs from burning barn
- Stage 3 head from Mike
- glyptal interior of case

Thoughts in my head:
- undercutting the trans gears
- Carrillo Rods (just so flippin expensive)
- hard weld rockers or coating
- oil cooler and remote oil filter (it gets hot here)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 04:38:29 pm by bambuhiphop »
75' CB550K -- Still in pieces but it rolls again!!!!

Offline Sam Green Racing

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I REALLY? hate black rims.
Re: Any other mods I should do while its apart?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2014, 02:24:11 am »
Put the thoughts that are in your head on the Upcoming purchase list.
You will have already spent a lot of money tuning, spend some on reliability.

Sam. ;)
C95 sprint bike.
CB95 hybrid race bike
CB95 race bike
CB92
RS 175. sprint/land speed bike
JMR Racing CB750A street ET drag bike

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2014, 09:49:55 am »
And treat your pistons with DFL and Cermet.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline Lostboy Steve

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2014, 01:16:16 pm »
And treat your pistons with DFL and Cermet.

+1 I did cerakote piston coat and microslick on my 550 valves and pistons.
1968 Honda Z50
1977 Honda CB550K
2018 Indian Scout

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 04:28:45 pm »
Hondaman digital ignition? I thought it used mechanical points?? Did he make a new plate and pick ups??
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 04:37:40 pm »
@Sam - The oil cooler was a for sure. The others, aside from rockers, I just recently learned about. I am still struggling with the cost on the Carrillo Rods. I don't really know much about them. Is there another alternative with helping the stock rods or just wasting time at that point?

@ Cal - Not familiar with DFL and Cermet. I can search but would you be able to expand?

@MRieck - I meant to say electric (transistorized)... No more late posting for me.

Anything I don't have on my list I should look to add?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 05:17:13 pm »
@Sam - The oil cooler was a for sure. The others, aside from rockers, I just recently learned about. I am still struggling with the cost on the Carrillo Rods. I don't really know much about them. Is there another alternative with helping the stock rods or just wasting time at that point?

@ Cal - Not familiar with DFL and Cermet. I can search but would you be able to expand?

@MRieck - I meant to say electric (transistorized)... No more late posting for me.

Anything I don't have on my list I should look to add?
It's cool....I was just poking fun. ;) ;) ;) ;D
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline Jerry Rxman Griffin aka MuthaF'er

• This MuthaF'er is getting to be a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Bought her new 4/75
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 08:27:37 pm »
Stock rods should be fine on the little guys.
As of today 3/13/2012 my original owner 75 CB750F has made it through 3 wives, er EX-wives. Free at last.  ;-)

Offline calj737

• Really Old Timer ...
  • I refuse...
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 08:55:11 pm »
DFL is dry film lubricant. It gets sprayed onto the skirts to provide constant lubrication to the piston and protect the sleeves from cold start, and decrease friction.

Cermet is a thermal reflective coating that is applied to the top of the piston. It's primary function is to reflect heat from the combustion event back up towards the head, and insulate the oil from the case from absorbing heat thru the piston. Protects pre-detonation also.

You can go 1 step further and shoot an oil shed coating on the underside of the piston and this prevents hot oil from the case from clinging to the piston, absorbing more heat, and thereby transferring that heat to the oil.

All these coatings are about longevity and thermal control of the oil/piston.
'74 550 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=126401.0
'73 500 Build http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=132935.0

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of it's victim may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated, but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 09:02:20 pm »
Stock rods should be fine on the little guys.

I reached out to get current prices on the carrillo's but I am thinking I can get away with shot peen and a magnuflux of the stock rods. Perhaps then I could just pick up the CARR bolts to use with the stock rods...

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 09:03:20 pm »
DFL is dry film lubricant. It gets sprayed onto the skirts to provide constant lubrication to the piston and protect the sleeves from cold start, and decrease friction.

Cermet is a thermal reflective coating that is applied to the top of the piston. It's primary function is to reflect heat from the combustion event back up towards the head, and insulate the oil from the case from absorbing heat thru the piston. Protects pre-detonation also.

You can go 1 step further and shoot an oil shed coating on the underside of the piston and this prevents hot oil from the case from clinging to the piston, absorbing more heat, and thereby transferring that heat to the oil.

All these coatings are about longevity and thermal control of the oil/piston.

Thanks Cal, just what I needed to know. I will look into who could do this in the area and get some costs.

Offline teebee67

• Enthusiast
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 03:04:44 am »
Take a look at the Cycle X Superods - much cheaper than Carrillos.
I'm only old on the outside.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 11:22:57 am »
Thanks teebee. I will look into those.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2014, 12:32:40 pm »
quite few of us road racing 500/550/600 with stock rods without problems: me, bwaller, colin. unlike the 750 they hold just fine, often saw 13,000 in my 500.

teebee are you sure that cycle x do super rods for 500/550?

in my experience a big chunk of power and above all, resistance against detonation will depend on the squish band you are managing to create. not familiar with the crown of those DP592, maybe post a pic? in a big bore 550 they should have an initial flat band and then a 15 degs slope that closely follows (like 0.8-1mm) the head.

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 12:38:58 pm »
Super Rods are not available for the 500/550. Only the 750's as I found out today.

I have been chatting with Pat from APE this morning and I am going to send my rods down to them to be shot peened. I will then get some new bolts. Maybe the CARR's or the F2's that I have been starting to read about...

Here is a pic of the pistons from Dynoman's website.

Offline 01Thomas

• Hot Shot
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2014, 01:50:12 pm »
I've had good success with shotpeened and polished conrods. My Moto Guzzi 1000 sees 10 000 rpm regularly - and it now has about 100 000 km on the clock. That's pretty good going for two heavy 500cc slugs going up & down rapidly.
1971 Honda CB750 Four K1 [Engine: CB750E-1113521 / Frame: CB750-1113838]
1977 Seeley Honda CB750F (F1) [Engine: CB750E-2551214 / Frame No: SH7-655F]

'96 Yamaha YZF750SP & '81 Moto Guzzi SP1000 & '80 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans II & '82 Bimota KB-3 [Frame No 49] & '66 Ducati 50 SL/1 & '53 Miele K-50 & '38 Miele 98

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2014, 02:31:50 pm »
Could I confirm some part numbers for the conrod bolts and nuts. These are what I understand the F2 part numbers to be that will work with the 550 stock rods, correct?

Bolt: Not sure what the difference is between the two part numbers??

13213-410-003 (Bike Bandit has this one) $4.71 each or 13213-KV0-000 (Not listed on Bike Bandits site but is on cmsnl)

Nut: 13214-410-003

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2014, 02:32:46 pm »
if that's how the crown looks am a bit afraid that all you can try to do is get a some squish just form the flat area. the bump in the middle will be too far from th e15 degs slope surface in the head to get any squish.  will try to dig some pics form my kawasaki racer build to explain....

I've had good success with shotpeened and polished conrods. My Moto Guzzi 1000 sees 10 000 rpm regularly - and it now has about 100 000 km on the clock. That's pretty good going for two heavy 500cc slugs going up & down rapidly.
hei thomas, i have a le mans III, like to rev her but would would never dream of taking her to 10K, and dont think shell rev that high anyway..... knowing the Veglia clocks accuracy, i'd say yours might be a bit optimistic?  :) never mind that the revcounter's scale  ends at 9000  on my 850 ::)

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2014, 08:39:48 am »
hei bambu
here are some pics of testing the squish in my 810 wiseco big bore gpz750 racer
aim for 0.9-1mm if its a street bike, racers can go down to 0.75mm
kind of self explanatory i think

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2014, 10:25:03 am »
Where did you score the new cam chain guide and slipper?
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline bambuhiphop

• Hot Shot

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2014, 12:11:51 pm »
Just and FYI for anyone interested, the seller in the links above jtmarks77 has pretty much everything but the pricing is killer on ebay. But, he's a nice guy and can work with you outside of ebay. He also works with yamiya directly. I asked him for a few things I needed I couldn't find on ebay and he had them all. After that, I've pretty much purchased every NOS piece I needed from him at significantly lower prices than those on ebay for the same items (pretty much matched my Honda dealer + small paypal surcharge). I even bought yamiya products without paying yamiya price and shipping from him.

Not trying to promote him (he does well on his own) just posting here in case someone is looking for hard to find bits at non ebay pricing..

Offline MiGhost

• What was that about being an
  • Hot Shot
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2014, 12:14:26 am »
Where did you score the new cam chain guide and slipper?

Both from eBay. Not cheap.

Do a part number search on DSS. You may get a surprise!
~ Ghost

Grey Ghost '80 CB650C: Updated Stock Restomod. Period Custom Cruiser (OEM harbags & trunk, Wixom Ranger fairing, Jardine turnouts)
Bad Moon '83 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim: Full Dress Tour Deluxe w/ X-1 Fairing

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #23 on: November 17, 2014, 04:39:03 am »
OMG, they have an aftermarket slipper!

https://www.davidsilverspares.com/CB550K-1976-USA/part_224402/

David Silver is my hero!
CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: November 17, 2014, 05:20:16 am »
he deserves praise not only for keeping plenty of bikes on the road but also for being willing to slug it out legally with Mama Honda. Poor big H got offended by him selling quality parts at good prices and tried to block him on many ocassions. Nice of him able to find work arounds too.

Dear Customer,

Please note that due to European trade mark laws, we are unable to deliver any genuine Honda parts offered on this site to countries within the European Economic Area (EEA), without Honda’s consent, as these parts are located in the USA.

Countries within the EEA include:
Iceland, Norway, Finland, Sweden, Ireland, United Kingdom, Denmark, Germany, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg, Austria, Portugal, Spain, France, Italy, Greece, Liechtenstein, Czech Republic, Estonia, Cyprus, Latvia, Lithuania, Hungary, Malta, Poland, Slovenia, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Romania.

If you are located within the EEA, please continue to use our UK site www.davidsilverspares.co.uk, If you are located outside of the EEA please use either site.

If you are within the EEA and have seen a part on this site that you require, that is unavailable elsewhere, you can apply for consent to import the part or parts to:

Honda Motor Europe
470 London Road
Slough
Berkshire
SL3 8QY

Please note that any consent MUST be in writing specifying which parts you have consent to import from David Silver Spares US LLC.