Author Topic: Seeley CB750 Honda Registry  (Read 44434 times)

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
Seeley CB750 Honda Registry
« on: December 02, 2014, 02:42:47 pm »
Some of us talked and thought that it might be a good idea to have a registry or list here for the guys with seeleys.
Unfortunately the old list http://www.seeley-register.org/list.html is no longer active due to the untimely death of the author.
He took a lot of time and put a lot of effort into the list and deserves credit for the work. 

Unsure if that list really needs to be repeated here.
Maybe it would be more interesting if the owners that have their bikes already on that registry post in this thread with more details about the bike.
I would love to hear more history and stories. I know it would be great if someone knew more about mine, and if others can share then we all win.

Also if anyone here finds a bike not on the list, has stories about a bike or knows of one please feel free to add to the thread.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
Re: Seeley CB750 Honda Registry
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 02:50:15 pm »
Ill start with my humble bike.
It is number 519.
Bought it as you see it from a member here.  Story was that a gentleman in the area had a large shop with all manor of bikes.  The Seeley lived in Europe for a while, but don't have details on owners or how it was used.  Would love to know more.

Seems to have a matching swing arm and motor mounts.
I am collecting parts and hope to have the bike back on the road next summer.
Just picked up a set of Lester wheels locally.  Going to try and trade an RC mag set up for a more road race ARD one, and have some weber/mikuni carbs for it.
Should be fun, I am starting to hunt for a parts bike to fill in the missing pieces now, so if anyone in the albany area has a parts bike....lol

Playing around a bit

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2014, 02:58:28 pm »
This is bike number 622
Was recently listed on ebay for 6750 British Pounds in Northumberland UK.
The listing was pulled and I assume that a deal was stuck off ebay.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 03:13:22 pm »
This is bike number 708
Sold in October of 2014 at bonhams for $13,682

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/21898/lot/256/

Text from listing
As displayed at The Bike Shed
1978 Seeley-Honda 750cc F1 Sport
Registration no. WGY 810S
Frame no. SH7-708F
Engine no. CB750E-2562558
British sidecar champion Colin Seeley bought Associated Motor Cycles' racing department when the company went into receivership in 1966. Believing that the AMC engines possessed further potential if equipped with state-of-the-art cycle parts, the previous year he had constructed the first Seeley racing frame to house a Matchless G50 engine, and the AMC purchase enabled him to produce complete Seeley G50 and 7R machines. With their improved frames, the four-stroke singles enjoyed renewed competitiveness, Derek Minter winning first time out at the start of the 1966 season on both the 350cc 7R and 500cc G50-engined Seeleys. The Seeley frame progressed from the duplex cradle MkI to the similar but lighter MkII. Down-tubes were abandoned with the MkIII, the head-stock and swinging arm pivot of which were linked solely by tubes running diagonally above the engine. The MkIV introduced towards the end of 1970 featured a revised tubing layout and continued in production until 1973, achieving further successes. Seeley's designs clearly had the potential to accommodate other, more-powerful types of engine, and commissions for frames for multi-cylinder power units soon followed, one of the first being the Seeley-Honda. Connections with Honda UK resulted in the Seeley-Honda's creation in the mid-1970s, a period when the power produced by large Japanese multis was not matched by their frames' ability to cope. Lightweight and rigid, the nickel-plated Seeley chassis was a vast improvement on the Honda version in both looks and practicality, enabling in-frame removal of the cylinder head, unlike the original. The fact that it handled better too goes without saying.

This Seeley-Honda was acquired by the current vendor in July 2013 having spent some 20 years in storage. The machine was then re-commissioned and fully serviced, receiving a new wiring loom, brakes and tyres, and on 6th July 2015 won the 'Best Multi-cylinder' award at the Brooklands 'Ace Café Ton-Up Day'. 'WGY 810S' also featured at the 'Bike Shed III' event in May 2014 and was pictured with Colin Seeley in 'Classic Bike Guide' magazine. Colin Seeley's letter of authentication is in the accompanying history file together with sundry bills, current MoT certificate and V5C document.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 03:18:08 pm »
This is bike 685

Popped up on eBay in the fall of 2014 in florida.
Don't remember exactly but think it sold for a bid of about $13k

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 03:22:54 pm »
This is bike number 592

Showed up on eBay in fall of 2014 in Sweden
Sold for a touch under $10k

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 03:25:11 pm »
Number 622 is owned by a person with an active FB page for the bike

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Seeley-Honda/204777619647324

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 03:26:37 pm »
Bike 747 was converted to a CB900F engine and this summer was listed for sale

Swoop

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 03:57:09 am »
Great info...perhaps you could get the moderator to create a bold registry section at the top of the page (like the others) so that it doesn't get bounced around so much?
Sure the Rickman guys might be interested in something similar.
Steve

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 06:11:36 am »
I would be willing to bet the rickman guys would like to do something similar.  I don't know of any registry for those bikes.
Will be nice if owners post about their bikes they own, or have owned.  The stories and history are fun.
Also if a bike pops up for sale it might be nice to include it.  Some are tracking prices while other are interesting in seeing where the bikes where and where they are going.

Would also be willing to bet some people have projects and if Seeley parts pop up they would love to know about them...I know I would.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2014, 05:12:49 pm »
I bought 521 in San Luis Obispo, CA, from the original owner in the spring of 1979 for about $1900. After owning the bike for about a month, I tore the bike almost completely apart to correct the PO's assembly errors. >:( After a month of burning midnight oil getting it back together, I took it on a 3000+ mile road trip. ;D ;D
I was told that the Seeley kit cost $1200, and the Morris wheels cost $300 for the pair. The original color was a metallic red, but had been repainted black by the PO after somehow denting the tank.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 05:38:53 pm by scottly »
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2014, 06:34:30 pm »
How old are the pictures of it with the silver tank on the registry?
Still have the bike?

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 06:47:14 pm »
Those pics are from 5 or 6 years ago. Yes, I still have it! ;D
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 10:27:19 pm »
Those pics are from 5 or 6 years ago. Yes, I still have it! ;D

How comfortable is it Scott..? I am toying with the idea of getting a Seeley replica frame from the UK... 8)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2014, 05:54:34 pm »
Hey Mick, the only time the bike was uncomfortable was after the original high density seat foam turned into low density dust, while on the 2012 relay. It was worse on the 2013 relay after I replaced the original foam with stuff that after about 30 miles compressed to the point that I might as well have been sitting on the bare seat pan. :o The Seeley tank is longer than I care for, as it prevents shifting my weight forward, but that is more of a handling issue than a comfort issue. ;)
The main advantages of the Seeley are, IMHO:
1. The frame is very rigid, particularly the steering head.
2. The light weight.
3. The ability to remove the top end with the motor in the frame.   

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2014, 12:08:45 am »
Thanks Scott, I read that there are 2 different size tanks in that shape/style..?  How does it effect handling and , in what way.? Does it steer quick/slow.? What changes, if any, would you make to the frame if you had a choice..?  I need to also find anyone making replica tanks as well, any ideas ?...  Sorry for all the questions, just doing my homework...  ;) ;D
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline Music City Metalcraft

• My Facebook page
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2014, 06:32:28 pm »
I would not change anything on the frame, cause it works, and you would reduce the value by half. I put longer shocks on mine and dropped the forks an inch to sharpen up the steering. Gets wiggly north of 120, but never dangerous. On the track I used to dive into corners under any other bike in Classic Superbike and come out first. Very forgiving frame, will never bite you. with exception of a KB2 Bimota with Godier Genoud engine. But that one was operated by a 16 year old lunatic who otherwise rode in national 600 supersport....
is it comfortable? Nah, I have Tomaselli clip ons that are practically mounted to the front axle, and the 5 gallon tank is loooooong. But who cares. Its a race bike.
The part that needs the most upgrading is the nut holding the handlebars

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2014, 07:03:13 pm »
What number is yours?

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2014, 07:05:37 pm »
Hey Mick, glad you finally posted here! ;D What is the story behind your bike?
We need to hear from Swoop, Tim, and other Seeley owners.

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2014, 07:19:00 pm »
Retro, are you thinking of buying one of Roger Titchmarsh's frames?
Axl's site mentioned 2 different sized tanks, with the larger 5.5 gallon tank fitted to the solo seat, and the smaller 4.5 gallon tank fitted to the dual seat, but I have pumped 5 gallons into my tank and had room for more. If I were to make a custom tank to fit a Seeley, there are a few things I would change..

Offline Music City Metalcraft

• My Facebook page
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 08:13:09 pm »
Mine is SH7GER698F, its on Axl's registry. All matching numbers on plates and swing arm.  I bought her 10 years ago from a friend who is strictly into Rickman and didn't want her ;-)
She has a lot of track time under her wheels, I used her in Classic Superbike and as an instructor bike on track days. A real battle horse with scars and wear. But never dropped her on the track! I laid her down once when my front tire collected a dry wall screw and blew, on the interstate at night.... only damage w as the electron wheel and some scratches on the handle bars and exhaust.Those bikes are made for combat!!
Right now I'm collecting parts to refresh the engine, all that high revving takes it's toll I guess :-)
mine is the F version built to fit F2 Hondas with rear disc brake. All original rear sets with Paganism master cylinder, Eckert rotor and Kuma magnesium caliper and bracket. Front is an DoCH fork with dual disc and cast iron rotors. Until the crash she had Kuma electron wheels, now she is on Morris mags, correct year manufacture. All bodywork is original, only modern stuff is theBrembo CNC radial master cylinder and braided steel lines, and the Aim data recording/lap timer
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 11:19:52 am by Music City Metalcraft »
The part that needs the most upgrading is the nut holding the handlebars

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 08:18:26 pm »
Retro, are you thinking of buying one of Roger Titchmarsh's frames?
Axl's site mentioned 2 different sized tanks, with the larger 5.5 gallon tank fitted to the solo seat, and the smaller 4.5 gallon tank fitted to the dual seat, but I have pumped 5 gallons into my tank and had room for more. If I were to make a custom tank to fit a Seeley, there are a few things I would change..

Yes Scott, I was looking at Tichmarsh's frames, The reason I asked about handling was because I could have slight alterations built into the frame likie a degree or 2 less rake, I'm having custom clamps made so sorting out the geometry is easy, at the moment i'm in the research stage but i'm seriously thinking about it. I've invested a heap of money in the parts I have and the only weakish link, is the stock frame. I like the shape of the sealy tank, how tall are you mate..? I would be using a different tail on it too and probably a front fairing ... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline scottly

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2014, 06:42:01 pm »
One thing I would change about the Seeley tank is the shape of the front; those points limit the choice of front ends. With a 50mm offset K7 triple, there is only 5 or 6 mm clearance between the tank and the fork tubes at full lock.
The length is the other thing I would change. ;)

Offline Retro Rocket

• Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2014, 11:38:33 pm »
Thanks Scott... ;)
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2014, 03:38:24 am »
There are two different sized Seeley tanks, no?