Author Topic: Service Parts For RC Distributor (Rebuild)  (Read 6243 times)

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
Re: Service Parts For RC Distributor
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2014, 11:39:10 am »
Well stripped the unit down for cleaning and rebuild.
I knew that there had to be some rust as the unit was not spinning very well.....but was not thrilled to see what I found.

The advancer weights were all but frozen.  Was able to get them off and think I can save them.

Lots of dust and rust

For reference of part numbers

Points plate.  Found some online.  Cheap enough I figure Ill replace it.

The advancer plate.  I assume the "LH" refers to left hand rotation.  Have yet to find any info on this plate or if I can replace it.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 07:37:31 am »
Service parts ordered

-Cap
-Rotor
-Points plate

Seems that Mallory 320M is just a replacement number for 320
Ordered one of each cheap on ebay to compare.

Also was able to get some of those plastic bushing that the advancer weights ride on.

Going to stop and pick up some naval jelly and try and right some of the rust.

Offline Geeto67

• A grumpy
  • Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 08:55:17 am »

Thinking my "spare" will be offered up to put an ARD on my seeley.
Figure it's more road race

It bugs me to no end that you think that the ARD with it's belt drive is somehow more anything race than the RC. Just looking at the drive setups the RC is the clear winner - the belt drive ARD is a bit of antiquated tech that is now barely a novelty. And I know you keep saying "ground clearance" is the difference between the two but honestly if you are close to banging either on the ground you are already in trouble and dragging hard parts elsewhere.   
Maintenance Matters Most

Offline 754

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 10:00:11 am »
Try vinegar on the rust..not sure what it will do to the yellow plating.
Maker of the WELDLESS 750 Frame Kit
dodogas99@gmail.com
Kelowna B.C.       Canada

My next bike will be a ..ANFOB.....

It's All part of the ADVENTURE...

73 836cc.. Green, had it for 3 decades!!
Lost quite a few CB 750's along the way

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 10:44:13 am »

Thinking my "spare" will be offered up to put an ARD on my seeley.
Figure it's more road race

It bugs me to no end that you think that the ARD with it's belt drive is somehow more anything race than the RC. Just looking at the drive setups the RC is the clear winner - the belt drive ARD is a bit of antiquated tech that is now barely a novelty. And I know you keep saying "ground clearance" is the difference between the two but honestly if you are close to banging either on the ground you are already in trouble and dragging hard parts elsewhere.
they are all old but if old school is what you want you gotta have one or the other,my ard works great!no batt needed,no  match for modern tech stuff but very cool!bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 12:39:30 pm »
Geeto, I get 100% what you are saying.
But the ARD is more of a road race thing, and the RC is more drag race.
Sure they are different techs.  I agree the RC is miles ahead of the ARD

Offline BPellerine

• Master
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2014, 01:58:30 pm »
look what is on the rc triple!bill
1978 CB 750K ard and webers
another anfob

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
Re: Service Parts For RC Distributor (Rebuild)
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2014, 07:38:31 pm »
Been plugging away with restoring this unit.

Fighting rust.  Use navel jelly.

Big box of service parts

The Drive:

I needed to go though the bottom drive unit to make sure everything was okay.  Other then a bearing that needs to lube and running all was good.

This is the part of the drive that is bolted to the crank.  It basically takes the place of the mechanical advance and points.  Many of these units have lost the drive gear for some reason. 
No one has been able to come up with a source for these gears either.  The base would not be that hard to make on a lathe, but the gear is another matter.

The gear sits on the drive and is held in place with a simple key way.  The outer "plug" threads onto the crank and holds everything in place.
There is a pin on the backside of the drive that slides into a hole on the crank.  This locks everything in place and also provides a way to time the whole set up.
RC placed some timing marks on the drive that can be seen through a window on the unit.

There is a single bolt that goes up through the bottom and holds the second gear in place.
A small plate keeps everything sealed.  Everyone that I have ever had just used some silicone or liquid gasket maker.  Im not a huge fan of that.  Might sit one day and hand cut some gaskets for this.
Have some material at work that could do the trick.

You can see that there is a bearing in the gear.  Would have liked to replaced this, but there are no numbers on the outside and since it is stacked in I fear removing it.

On the back side of the unit there is an oil seal.  This seals around the drive gear.  On a CB750 this isnt a super oil wet cavity, but I would like to replace the seal.
Will have to look into what a 11730 oil seal is and were to get some.

Distributor:

Still have not gotten the advancer parts to the point that I am happy with them so this unit has not been finished yet.

Wires were to far gone to bother keeping.  Will have to find some replacements.

Unit has a chunk missing out of the base.  Less then thrilled about this.  But in reality you cant see it nor does it effect function.  Ill build a bridge and get over it.

New Mallory points mounted onto the new Mallory points plate

Have a bunch of bushing bearings for the advancer weights after I am happy with how they cleaned up.

Interesting piece here.  Seems that this plate is reversible based on rotation.  I did read once that people were able to take a stock VW unit and reverse the direction, but this required cutting, welding and a fair bit of work. 
Wonder if this plate is the key to all that?  So far I have not been able to find ANY information about it based on the numbers stamped into it.  I am going to reach out to Mallory about it latter.

Stupid question to follow......
Is there any "timing" or anything that needs care with this piece?  It holds the lubes to the plate.  I didnt see any marks and cant see how it would matter.

Oh and solved the great 320 Vs 320M debated in regards to the rotors.
The M supersedes the non M rotor and seems that the only difference is a screw Vs a rivet holding the metal on.

Both are 100% interchangeable.  Nice to know as the non M rotors seem to show up cheaper NOS.

Things to still do:

1 - Find main oil seal
2 - Finish rebuilding advance parts
3 - Research LH/RH plate
4 - Make final parts list of items used.
5 - Talk to Mallory

Was able to order the parts to rebuild both of my units and still have some parts left over.
Also have found some "rebuild" kits that seem to include the advancer weights. They are listed for 8 cylinder applications though. Anyone know what actually changes from 4-6-8 cylinder units? Cant see why the weights would be any different.  I think mine will clean up well enough to use, but would like to track down as many parts and as much information as I can about these set ups.

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2014, 07:41:29 pm »
Other unit was in very good shape, probably didnt need a service.

Everything went smoothly
New points

Condenser

Rotor

Cap and done

Offline Medyo Bastos

• Master
  • Gusto mo titi ko?
    • project
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2014, 07:49:18 pm »
did you get the high rpm points?  i think the part number is followed by an X...

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2014, 08:01:09 pm »
I didnt.
Just the "normal" ones

25042X are "super duty" Mallory said they were their racing points. 
Didnt really understand the difference so I just went with the normal ones.
Figure they will work just fine.

Do you know what the actual difference is?

Offline scottly

• Global Moderator
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Humboldt, AZ
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2014, 08:46:37 pm »
The "high RPM" points have stiffer springs, at the expense of increased rubbing-block wear.
If I recall correctly, there was a plastic gauge with steps to set the adjustable advance limits on the VW Mallorys...
Don't fix it if it ain't broke!
Helmets save brains. Always wear one and ride like everyone is trying to kill you....

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2014, 07:11:30 am »
Got the other unit finished too.

Ordered a few of the seals that go around the drive.  They are $5, part number 11730

The advancer parts cleaned up will, and with some new bushings on the weights everything is moving smoothly like it should.

New points.  The ends need to be bent so they do not contact the body and short.  Might try some liquid electrical tape for added piece of mind.

So I guess this tiny project is finished.
Both units are done and ready to run

Offline jaguar

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2014, 04:58:23 pm »
Yep, the extra boring bit.
Oil seals came in today.  They will fit perfectly as expected.
That will wrap up a complete service.
Only thing I was not able to dig up, and ill be honest was not digging to hard, was the part numbers for the two gears.  Those have proven elusive.  Mallory actually might be able to help if I get the right guy.  They have data on the units, just the parts list was not digitized. 

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2014, 10:40:59 pm »
Hey Jon, I recall the quest for drive gears, and IIRC, there was some mention that the angle drive wouldn't hold up under the torque required to drive a magneto?

Yea, the Mallory supermag III  i have is too much for the R.C. angle drive.  A Mallory supermag I and II will be fine. A JoeHunt or Vertex magneto is fine also. When you get into the Mallory supermag III and the MSD magnetos, they have way more powerful magnets and it takes a lot of horsepower to turn them as they spin faster and create a of of amps of power and drag resistance.
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !

Offline BLUE71TURBO

• Master
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2014, 10:46:13 pm »
  Here's info i posted about the gear for the R.C. angle drive.  A lot of work goes into making a custom gear. It is also a custom ground gear.

http://forums.sohc4.net/index.php?topic=107887.msg1235868#msg1235868
Remember; Before you can be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid !