Author Topic: Can I see your Race Bikes? (How do I inject vintage racing into my life?)  (Read 8916 times)

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
Re: Can I see your Race Bikes? (How do I inject vintage racing into my life?)
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 07:16:26 pm »
Hey, I understand but selling that bodyset looks like it could net you $500 and that will get you some go fast goodies.  Great buy at $275.  Enjoy racing.  It is something I need to do soon also and I think you are starting out right.
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2015, 09:50:43 pm »
Here is mine, no clue how it will perform on track yet. Since you are in NJ you can go to NJMP for track days and a couple of races this year. PM for more detail if you want as I have been in contact with the group that runs track days there and at Pocono.

Wow. That looks simple enough. First one I've seen that doesn't look highly modified. Do you ride it on the street as well?

Lostboy… Do it!

I haven’t been on the forums in while and I’m just seeing this post now.
Are you thinking about road racing?  I hope so…  there’s not many SOHC4 members road racing in the NJ/PA area.  It would be great to have another member at the track.

I believe most of the race organizations have a “non-modified” entry class.  I recently starting racing the summer before last with AHRMA when they added NJ Motorsports park to their schedule.   Their dates for NJ Motorsports park are July 10-12 in 2015.

I race my CB750 in the Novice Production Historic Heavyweight class.  Attached is a picture of my bike.  As you can see it’s pretty stock… in fact, the engine has never been off the bike or opened up (except for replacing the alt cover).

I know with AHRMA there are definitely others with stock bikes (just race prepped).  Last year when I raced in Michigan, a lady there was racing a really nice looking stock CB400F. 

Typically, I see a lot of 350’s, 160/175’s, and 500’s in the Novice Production classes.  The cb550 could be more of a challenge… the cb500 would be a little easier.  I know with AHRMA (and I believe with USCRA), the 550 races in the Heavyweight class – I’m not sure about WERA. 

If I had to pick the best/easiest/least expensive Honda to start road racing with, I think it would be the cb350 twins.   That said, I decided to race my CB750 because I love the bike.  It sounds like you may feel the same way about the cb550.

Here as some links to rules for a few different organizations:

http://www.ahrma.org/ahrma_pdfs/Z-2014/forms/14_Handbook_new_file_websml.pdf

http://www.race-uscra.com/docs/rules/USCRA_RuleBook.pdf

http://maps.wera.com/rulebook/?x=1098#ch9

Let us know what you decide to do.  Lots of us willing to help. 

- Chris
- Chris
75' CB750F Orange flake (rider)
75' CB750F Blue (Project)
75' CB750F Painted black (Project)
No Reserve Racing #171 AHRMA

Offline Kickstart

• Expert
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2015, 10:07:01 pm »
Here is mine, no clue how it will perform on track yet. Since you are in NJ you can go to NJMP for track days and a couple of races this year. PM for more detail if you want as I have been in contact with the group that runs track days there and at Pocono.

Hi Rick,

Which organization are you racing with?
Also, what group are you doing track days with in the Poconos? 

I did two track day weekends last year with Tony's Track Days when they were at New York Safety Track.  I was the only guy there with a vintage bike but they were very supportive (a few of the instructors race vintage bikes as well) and I learned a lot.  I'll probably do some more track days with them this year, but would definitely be interested to know if there's a "vintage friendly" track day closer to my area.

Thanks,
Chris
- Chris
75' CB750F Orange flake (rider)
75' CB750F Blue (Project)
75' CB750F Painted black (Project)
No Reserve Racing #171 AHRMA

Offline rick.archer

« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2015, 04:35:51 am »
Hey Chris,

I registered with AHRMA for racing and with http://www.absolutecycle.com/raceshop/index.php for track days. There are many days scheduled at NJMP and two at Pocono this year. I'm all set for Apr. 11th at NJMP and will let you know how "vintage friendly" ACE is after that. Good to know another SOHC4 member will be in the paddock.

Rick