Author Topic: Back to the track + Bimota replica anyone?  (Read 2643 times)

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
Back to the track + Bimota replica anyone?
« on: February 05, 2015, 04:09:18 pm »
Hi everyone!

It has definetly been a while since I've posted here anything, but the last couple of years have been quite hectic  ;D

Long story short, last year I finally managed to bring back to life my 750, and I took her out a couple of times at Franciacorta and Misano.

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!

In action!

Sporting a nice yellow jacket as I was riding with the modern bikes, acting as a moving obstacle basically...

So much love...

@TG, planning to do gruppo 5 races this year, any suggestion on with which motorclub I should do my license in the Milan area? (ho trovato casa vicino piazza argentina a dicembre, vediamoci una sera!)

And now for something completely different: I've found a very, very good mechanic in my hometown, he has helped me a lot with all those tasks that are out of reach for my small workshop at home.

Long story short again, we are planning to build some HB1 Bimota replica frames! And maybe some Eglis  8)

The guy, Silvio, has some mad metal shaping skills and has built some interesting bikes. For example, why not pair a R1 frame with a Ducati engine and then race it on BOT in Italy, see below:

Some detail of the exausts:

This frame was buit from the ground up for a trial bike:

http://imageshack.com/a/img540/6972/dnepiz.jpg[/img]

Silvio's approach is quite smart, he designs each tube/section to be welded toghether, then he sends everything to someone that will cut and bend the tubes using automated machines. He focus only on the welding part. Thus reducing time and costs.

Here's another project, a Segoni replica Laverda 3C, from concept:

To the 3D design:

And in the making:

Here's some other parts he has realized:

The plan is to create a small webshop for racing replica frame and other frame related parts (forks, swingarms, triple trees, ect), starting with the Bimota, then Eglis and other frames for other classic engine. I've studied a little the racing regulations of various countries championship: in Italy, US, Australia and for the European Classic Series it's legal to use such parts, as they were used back in the days as well. We are waiting for some quotes to understand the final price, but we expect to be definetly very attractive, especially seeing what it is usually asked for a replica frame, or a swingarm...

Thoughts?

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
Re: Back to the track + Bimota replica anyone?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 05:00:38 pm »
Nice work and great mechanical abilities. And I thought only Japanese and Americans knew how to machine and weld. JUST JOKING!! ;D Really, really nice execution and great imagination. God I love those last in the line Laverda's. I had the opportunity to buy a NEW 82 in 86......no money at that time. I used the Laverda cylinder design for my billet cylinder to give the CB750 a robust, full look.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 05:02:55 pm by MRieck »
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline scunny

• Old Timer
  • don't call me expert
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 05:01:25 pm »
that's eye candy.
your friend has talent, go for it.
past-cb100,ts250,cb500,cb500,gs1000,gs650g.phillips traveller
present-CB 650 retro
            VTR1000F3
           XL250S riverbed rocket
           TS250[sold]
           TS185[sold]
           XL125S[sold]
           MT50 (white)
           MT50 (red)[sold]
           KN250/XS400 project
           XR/XL250 bitsa under construction
           SL100[sold]
           XL250R
           pedal(pub bike) leaks oil
my gallery http://gallery.sohc4.net/members/personal/scunny

Offline MRieck

• Really Old Timer ...
  • Big ideas....
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 05:02:00 pm »
Also....your CR rep looks very nice too.
Owner of the "Million Dollar CB"

Offline bwaller

• Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 05:24:01 pm »
Good to see you back. Your 750 looks great, I'm digging the colours too! The rest of your plans sound exciting, let us know the website link, I'll watch with interest.

Offline seanbarney41

• not really that much younger than an
  • Really Old Timer ...
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:10 pm »
this is way over my head, I will enjoy quietly watching from the back
If it works good, it looks good...

Offline 750cafe

• Hot Shot
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 07:42:26 pm »
Mad skills indeed.   8)

Eric
Is there anything more fun than riding? They are between your legs and are quiet when you turn them off.

Offline turboguzzi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 01:25:05 am »
ciao caro.... mmm.... you are pretty close to where i live now, so sure, let's meet. I have now a house with a proper garage and huge yard, (unheard off inside milan metro limits :) ) so come visit the new team TG headquarters. There's an excellent pub place 100 meters from my door also ;)
I need to join a nearby club too. doubting if to go back to my old one "Porta Nuova" or go with Biassono  who are behind the Monza track.
Could be great to meet you friend too BTW,

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 09:06:02 am »
Thanks guys!

I'll keep ypu posted, will probably ask Silvio to join the forum as well and post more pictures of his works!

:-)

Offline mtm_motors

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 02:44:00 pm »
Did anything happen from this?  Also the pics are not showing... I'm bummed as I'm very interested in a HB1 frame.

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2015, 05:04:55 pm »
Did anything happen from this?  Also the pics are not showing... I'm bummed as I'm very interested in a HB1 frame.

I've never seen a replica HB1 frame, no chance what so ever of getting an original unfortunately......
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline gschuld

• Master
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 01:29:11 pm »
Beautiful bike.

I have a question.  It's seems that you are running without a fork brace and front fender, or steering damper as most cb750 road racers seem to favor.  I'm curious as to whether you are experiencing any fork twist or handling issues as a result.  I am interested in using the same early dual disc early brake style front end for a racer myself, so it interests me.  I currently plan on a fork brace and a steering damper as a minimum.

Thanks,

George

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 03:55:16 pm »
Hi George,

I've switched to a differnt fork taken from an 850 guzzi, but I used that fornt fork (btw it's on sale if you are interested) it seemed pretty solid to me (although I would not recommend the orignal brakes on a racer, if you plan to actually brake not just slightly decelerating). As for the steering damp, I use it but it's useless...

Offline Retro Rocket

• Eggs are hard due too a
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • ROCK & ROLL
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 04:55:24 pm »
Hi George,

I've switched to a differnt fork taken from an 850 guzzi, but I used that fornt fork (btw it's on sale if you are interested) it seemed pretty solid to me (although I would not recommend the orignal brakes on a racer, if you plan to actually brake not just slightly decelerating). As for the steering damp, I use it but it's useless...

How do you know the damper is useless...?  They actually work very well and I highly recommend them, also, that front end will have far less twist with a fork brace, its extremely easy to prove and has been done already on the forum..
750 K2 1000cc
750 F1 970cc
750 Bitsa 900cc
If You can't fix it with a hammer, You've got an electrical problem.

Offline livefast_dieold

• Hot Shot
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 10:30:24 am »
Well maybe it's just me, but seriously I can't feel the difference with or without the damper!