Author Topic: Back home again - CB500  (Read 1215 times)

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
Back home again - CB500
« on: May 21, 2019, 08:11:19 am »
Many years ago, I bought a pair of bikes from another forum member.  A CB550 and a CB500.  I sold the 500 to my friend and we built the pair of them in my garage.  They were basically rolling frames with the paint work already done on the tank and the cafe seats made.

My friend is moving and needs to get rid of some things.  He sold me the 500 for a price I couldn't refuse. 

The carbs look like crap because it's been sitting for a few years.  At least it was sitting in the garage.  Needs a battery and tires.  I am hoping to get it back on the road by this weekend. 

CB550 Cafe, GL1000, Buell Ulysses
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
"The cleaner the dipstick, the closer to God." -Rev. Horton Heat
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Gurp

• I'm no.......
  • Master
  • Once was a...
Re: Back home again - CB500
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 05:51:09 am »
In the for sale section there was a set of cb500 carbs for sale. I think Can550 was selling them.
Yours loook ROUGH to say the least.
slow Progress 74 cb550.

Poor boy chop 73 CB500 chop

Future project 77 Cb750 Amen Savior

Offline Dads Toy

• Enthusiast
  • Semper Fi
    • Dadstoy
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:24:45 am »
Very cool to get the bike back. But those carbs...wow. Just goes to show ya how today's gas is just crap. Will eat away at just about anything if set to long. Good old pine bath bake and they should be good as new. Good luck.
1981 Honda CB650C

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2019, 06:01:43 am »
The carbs actually cleaned up better than expected.  I should have taken pics when I was putting them together.  Either way, they are together and I will slap some new fuel line on there and get see if she'll fire up this weekend. 
I bought some cheap Duro tires, so we'll see how they work out.
if you dont trial spin the camshaft in the head and cover you are a novice,with no natural mechanical appitude,destined for destruction.
“Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.”  - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Stev-o

• Ain't no
  • Really Old Timer ...
  • Central Texas
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 08:14:11 am »
Welcome back Joe!   Looks like you'll be riding a SOHC again this year at the Harvest Classic!

Let me know if you need any parts...
'74 "Big Bang" Honda 750K [836].....'71 Honda 750K project.....'76 Honda 550F.....K3 Park Racer!......and a Bomber!............plus plus plus.........

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 04:31:11 am »
Petcock is trash. I've got a new one on the way.
I did a quick rebuild on the carbs and they cleaned up nicely. I really hate having to de-rack them to replace the fuel lines. Silly design.

Dropped the damn headlight when I was trying to access the bucket. Today will be better than yesterday.

Offline CBGhia

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2020, 06:52:38 pm »
It's been a while. I've had other projects and I moved and whatever, I just haven't messed with it for a while.

Since the last post, I've rebuilt the carbs, cleaned and coated the tank with POR15, new headlight, new starter and solenoid, put a single K&N filter on it, new master cylinder, rebuilt the caliper, new brake line, cleaned a bunch and got it running.
She starts first kick, even after sitting for a few days. Runs great!

So, what do you think I'm doing with her now that she's ready to roll?  I'm trading her for a Buell Ulysses.

I'm also selling my KLR and I'm going to put some of that money into finishing my 550 with a 650 engine. Still going to be rockin a SOHC4.