Author Topic: CB 550 cam chain tensioner adjustment  (Read 523 times)

Offline rsank

CB 550 cam chain tensioner adjustment
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:55:27 pm »
Hi everyone, I am doing the 3000 mile tune up on my bike. This is the first time I am doing it and it is probably the first time in 37 years that certain things are being done. PO did something with carbs only just to get it going.

The cam chain tensioner nut and adjustment screw were fused together but with some penetrant, I managed to loosen the nut. However, the screw will not move. Manual says it will automatically adjus,t but with a screwdriver, it won't budge. I wanted to check with you guys before I use more leverage and try to work it loose. Before I managed to get the nut loosened, the screw and nut were moving together but then I was using a box wrench with more leverage.

So, should I go ahead and use a socket wrench to force the screw to move? Or is there another technique to use?

Offline LesterPiglet

• Old Timer
  • 1977 CB550F2
Re: CB 550 cam chain tensioner adjustment
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 05:06:51 pm »
Arrggghhhh. STOP! There are teeth that mate with a cog on the end of that screw and it only turns so far. It does not unscrew. With the nut loose the screw should slide in and out slightly. If you have forced it past its travel you have removal of the cam chain tensioner ahead.   ???
'Then' and 'than' are completely different words and have completely different meanings. Same with 'of' and 'have'. Set and sit. There, their and they're. Draw and drawer. Could care less/couldn't care less. Bought/brought FFS.

Les Ross.            Certified by a Professional

Offline eigenvector

• Master
  • Member of the despondent public
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 05:10:10 pm »
Yeah what Lester said.  Step away from the bigger hammer.  All you do is loosen the nut, then tighten it back up making sure the screw doesn't turn while you're tightening it.

If it's flat out not moving - it's entirely possible that it's as tight as it can get.
Rob
--------------------------------
2018 HD Softail Heritage
1979 CB750K Limited Edition
1977 CB550K
1984 CB700SC Nighthawk
1983 VF750S Sabre

Offline rsank

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 05:41:01 pm »
Ok! Thank goodness,  I stopped myself and posted this. Yes once I had the lock nut loose, I noticed a slight change in height when I tightened the nut back. And yes I did tighten it back up and used a screwdriver to hold the screw in place. All should be well then. Thanks guys! I was expecting the screw to actually rotate.

Offline Duanob

• Bold Timer
  • Old Timer
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 10:45:04 am »
If the nut and screw move together the adjuster is free. But as said above it only moves a 1/4 turn at the most. Counter clockwise tightens the adjuster. I use just enough pressure to hold the adjuster screw in place when tightening the nut.
"Just because you flush a boatload of money down the toilet, doesn't make the toilet worth more",  My Stepfather the Unknown Poet

1974 CB360T
1976 CB550K2 Resurrected
1976 CB550F2 Barn Find
1979 CX500 VG "HONDA-GUZZI"
2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750ie
2015 BMW F700GS
Another 1976 CB550K Cafe?

__o
_- \_<,
(*) /' (*)

Offline rsank

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 01:48:48 pm »
Yes, that's what I saw. It would move only quarter turn clockwise and counter clockwise until it hit the stop. The nut and screw were rusted and stuck together and I couldn't hold the screw in place while loosening the nut. It took some soaking with penetrant to get the nut to loosen without moving the screw along with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk