Author Topic: CB750 7A Carbs: New Needle Seats pressing in too easy?  (Read 1224 times)

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
CB750 7A Carbs: New Needle Seats pressing in too easy?
« on: March 07, 2015, 01:43:28 pm »
Just changed out all the needles on my 7As, only one was relatively easy to press out, the other three were fairly tight and took gentle tapping of the wooden dowel. My concern is more with the replacements. #1 and #4 pressed in too easy, and I'm able to press them flush just with my finger. #2 and #3 pressed in pretty tight. I stopped putting the rest back together and posting here, don't want to waste effort if I'll be needing replacement bodies for #1 and #4. Thoughts?

Offline brewsky

• Expert
Re: CB750 7A Carbs: New Needle Seats pressing in too easy?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 04:46:54 am »
Are the originals worn?
If not, I would not replace them.
The originals are generally better quality than the replacements.
If switching them around in different bodies doesn't help, you could gently deform the holes in the loose bodies with a punch to get the interference fit you want.
66 CA77
78 550K
78 CB750K
02 FZ1
09 GL 1800

Offline edwardmorris

• Youngish
  • Old Timer
  • Do not cause harm, nor respond to harm with harm.
Re: CB750 7A Carbs: New Needle Seats pressing in too easy?
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 09:47:18 pm »
All sorted, thanks to Bill Benton, I'd forgotten about the emulsion tubes holding the seats in place. I also realized that the old ones stick so hard because of corrosion. The new ones are pretty snug without any wobble so I'm good. Going with all new brass for my K2, that was the only reason for change, old ones are in pretty good shape, kept them matched up with their needles.